New body ‘needed for cyber threats’

rooster59

New body ‘needed for cyber threats’

By THE SUNDAY NATION, AGENCIES

EXPERTS yesterday called on the government to set up a new agency to specifically deal with threats to national cybersecurity, following a series of attacks on state agency websites.

They said the ongoing attacks reflected the failure of the government’s investment in cybersecurity over the past decade.

Dr Sutee Tuvirat, a certified information system auditor (CISA), said that servers of state agencies were weak and prone to online attacks regularly.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302795

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-25

Don't they read the news otherwise they'd know that everything's under control and the junta knows exactly who is trying to hack etc. ?

Of course it's always necessary to have an extension of the ' bogeyman ' requirement to justify oppressive action and in this case total control of the Internet etc.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Perhaps this should wait until a popularly elected government takes office.  You know people without a get out of jail free card like the current administration. 

I think many of us will have gone to God before a properly elected government is installed.

incredible!

how many articles have we read in the past few months about all the new Army cyber warfare units and how everything is under control?

good luck Thailand as you have only experienced a very few small cyber attacks so far focused on government web sites that serve no real purpose. 

The new agency could hire known "hacktavists" and pay them to update the government servers and make them "hacktavist" safe.  They should call the new agency CSI CYBER THAI and sell the TV broadcast rights to a US Television Production Company.

Thailand has the highest percentage of computers with virusses in the world.

It is so easy to have computer virusses distributed throughout Thailand.

I have seen new computers with a fresh illegal version of windows that were fully equiped with all kinds of virusses. Even with fake virusscanners and fake firewalls. Most Thai DDoS attacks are currently coming from Thai banks (yes, even most of the ATM machines are infected), government and university computers. I still have several logs from one of the websites that was recently attacked by a DDoS here in Thailand. 

How? Just supply the "users" with a free (download) version of any software. The number one search engine phrase in Thailand: "free download (ฟรี)"!

Edited by FredNL

8 minutes ago, FredNL said:

I have seen new computers with a fresh illegal version of windows that were fully equiped with all kinds of virusses. Even with fake virusscanners and fake firewalls. Most Thai DDoS attacks are currently coming from Thai banks (yes, even most of the ATM machines are infected), government and university computers. I still have several logs from one of the websites that was recently attacked by a DDoS here in Thailand. 

How? Just supply the "users" with a free (download) version of any software. The number one search engine phrase in Thailand: "free download (ฟรี)"!

I'm not arguing with you about Thailand having the highest percentage of viruses world-wide, but where does that information come from?

I searched "highest computer virus infection by country list" and the best result I could see was this:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/266169/highest-malware-infection-rate-countries/   Thailand wasn't even in the top ten in that list.

Am I using the wrong search term?

i can remember about 15 years ago the receptionist at our company proudly showing me the cute little animated mouse pointers she had downloaded for free from the internet. 

I pointed this out to our IT guys who spent the rest of the day decontaminating her computer and a new company wide email was sent about not clicking on attachments or downloading anything.

Permissions were restricted on everybody's computers.

that is about where Thailand is today. still clicking away on every little thing.

20 hours ago, FredNL said:

Yeah same here.  I recently checked a Thai friends new laptop because it was slow.  He had had it 'fully loaded' from the shop even though I told him to just bring it to me without anything on it.  I also have illegal copies of things but they are clean.  I did a check on it and it had over 300 nasties on it.  Wiped it clean and installed it over.