Can i fix my electric drill?

jobin

Assuming it's one you plug in, yah?  Check the cord and plug for damage or burn marks - could be something with that and can just replace (I always save the cord and plug from stuff that breaks down).  If your drill had an "electric smell" when it quit it's likely the windings and you're SOL.

I live in the sticks and there is a walking market every Wednesday.  There is a vendor there that sells tools and electric tools.  he also repairs broken tools.  You don't say where you live, but I would look for a small Ma and Pa store that just sells tools and ask them.  They might do it or know someone that does repairs.  Usually a cord, broken switch or worn brushes!

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Got it in three, if it's not one of those (all easily fixed) then time for a new one.

I took a broken Makita drill motor to the guy here.  I knew that it was the switch but couldn't find a replacement on the internet, as I said it was old, old, old!.  He looked through his box of used switches and found one.  Cost me 50 baht and has been working for years since.

6 minutes ago, wayned said:

I took a broken Makita drill motor to the guy here.  I knew that it was the switch but couldn't find a replacement on the internet, as I said it was old, old, old!.  He looked through his box of used switches and found one.  Cost me 50 baht and has been working for years since.

I have been using the same guy for years now. If I take stuff in for repair and he can't fix it then I tell him to keep the broken one and use what parts he can and I buy a new one.

Sometimes I go in and he robs a bit from something else and I pay 50 baht or sometime it is free.

Sometimes the old ones are the best.

I bought a Dewalt circular saw when I first came here in 1997.  It built two houses and a business building and still worked fine. I lent it to the guys building our coop weigh station and it took a nose dive off the roof and smashed the case.  The parts that I needed were discontinued by Dewalt so I bought a new Makita.  Me being the ultimate pack rat welded up some steel and used the remains of the saw to build a small table saw which is quite handy at times.  Where there's a will there's a way. 

Wish that used body parts (human) were available. I could use some new lower body parts and a memory upgrade but I do have a surgical steel hip joint that was installed 4.5 years ago and I was awake through the whole process.  The sawing and the pounding of the "tent stake" into my femur! :sorry:

It's truly amazing what can be fixed, I do the basic stuff, cables, brushes, switches but if it's a burned winding it goes in the bin (carefully segregated to recycling chap can get at it).

Take a trip to Ban Mo (Old Siam Plaza area) and you'll find guys sat by the road re-winding Hatari fan motors (and doing a roaring trade). Lord knows what they charge, the fans aren't exactly expensive new.

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's truly amazing what can be fixed, I do the basic stuff, cables, brushes, switches but if it's a burned winding it goes in the bin (carefully segregated to recycling chap can get at it).

Take a trip to Ban Mo (Old Siam Plaza area) and you'll find guys sat by the road re-winding Hatari fan motors (and doing a roaring trade). Lord knows what they charge, the fans aren't exactly expensive new.

When I was working in Nong Chang in Uthai Tanni Province, I rented a townhouse and stayed there during the week.  There was a guy there that had a shop and his main business was rewinding fan motors.  I took many to him and the cost was 160 baht each.  I can't find anyone near me that does it so I just pitch them now.

Where I get my DeWALT, Hitachi and Makita Power tools repaired in Buriram is a family owned tool shop. They have been able to order parts for many brands of power tools sold in Thailand as they seem to be an authorized repair service center. The Makita and Maktec printed catalogs in Thailand have listings of authorized repair stations. I noticed EMS shipping boxes at Ruangsangthai and I was told that customers mail in power tools for repairs from other provinces in Thailand. Might be similar authorized repair service centers with trained repair technicians in other provinces in Thailand. 

Buriram Thailand Makita Power Tools Repair Technician.jpg

Tools mailed to Buriram repair shop from other Thailand provinces.jpg

I live in Nakhon Sawan Province, about 350 kilometers from Buriram.  I have used Ruangsagthai for parts, service and new equipment for years.  Although there website does not have an online  ordering system, if you contact them they will go out of their way to supply what you need.  A thumbs up to them!  Here's a link to their website: http://www.burirambuildersmerchants.com/

The English speaking contact is :

Mr. Bob Manthey
Ruangsangthai Ltd. 
114 Moo. 14 Buriram - Phutthaisong Highway 2074
Chum Het, Muang Buriram 31000
Thailand
(66) 044-666-484  mobile 081-069-8324