Two new sailing, yachting routes opened to boost tourism

webfact

Two new sailing, yachting routes opened to boost tourism

sa.jpg

BANGKOK, 26 December 2016 (NNT) – The Designated Areas for Sustainable Tourism Association (DASTA) has introduced two new tourism routes specifically for sailing and yachting, seeking to attract more quality tourists to the country. 

Deputy Director-General of DASTA Suthep Keasang made known that the total worth of the sailing and yachting industry of Thailand each year is over 21 billion baht. Most of the customers in this segment are also found to be quality tourists. 

In an effort to further expand the market for sailing and yachting, DASTA has been cooperating with the Royal Thai Navy, the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the private sector and seaside communities to formulate routes for such activities. Thus far, they have been able to come up with two new routes in the eastern region, one between Pattaya and Koh Chang and the other between Koh Chang and Koh Kong of Cambodia. 

To accompany the sailing and yachting routes, tour packages have also been drawn up to engage customers in eco-friendly activities and allow them to experience local communities’ lifestyles during their trip. A target has been set to promote Thailand’s east coast as a center of sailing and yachting in the region, connecting the country with ASEAN neighbors by sea.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-26

The Monsoon cup is held in Kuala Trengganu Malaysia, what will be the name of the new yacht race that begins in Pattaya?  Maybe someone should start a pol to come up with an appropriate name. 

"most of the customers in this segment are also found to be quality tourists". This line really cracked me up. What they mean is: there is money to be made, and pocket to be squeezed.

As a life-long sailor I can tell you it is no pick-nick  to be on a sailing boat in the tropics, especially sailing downwind. Way too hot without airco.

On top of that there is no infra structure in place in case of emergencies, as opposed to the West where there are lifeboats, specialized helicopters and agencies constantly standing by on the designated emergency frequencies.

I wish them happy hunting for quality customers willing to take on the risk and discomfort.

1 hour ago, Bullie said:

"most of the customers in this segment are also found to be quality tourists". This line really cracked me up. What they mean is: there is money to be made, and pocket to be squeezed.

As a life-long sailor I can tell you it is no pick-nick  to be on a sailing boat in the tropics, especially sailing downwind. Way too hot without airco.

On top of that there is no infra structure in place in case of emergencies, as opposed to the West where there are lifeboats, specialized helicopters and agencies constantly standing by on the designated emergency frequencies.

I wish them happy hunting for quality customers willing to take on the risk and discomfort.

It's the same as buying a condo with a riverview or seaview...those pesky jetski's and longtailboats will disturb you all day long. Also i wonder if they have an insurance for when they crash into your boat.

Very true. I used to do a lot of offshore sailing and I agree.
What's more, if you're cruising as opposed to racing, the pleasure is to sail where your fancy (and perhaps the prevailing weather) takes you rather than following routes laid down by TAT and the Navy. Serious offshore racing these days is very much an industry, one which needs an infrastructure Thailand simply doesn't have.

I love that "routes" have been established. What did they do? Install route signs? Dredge a channel? No one sailed these routes previously? Ahhh - yes, quality tourists and big money! Malaysia realized that long ago and really rolled out the welcome mat to foreign yachts.

4 hours ago, wayned said:

The Monsoon cup is held in Kuala Trengganu Malaysia, what will be the name of the new yacht race that begins in Pattaya?  Maybe someone should start a pol to come up with an appropriate name. 

"Fleeing the scene cup"?

Edited by JAG

I saw a promotional video about these sailing tours. The moneyed pricks are flown into the islands by seaplane, then waited on hand and foot onboard the yachts. There is one scene where the tourists are shown abseiling down a cliff, and one the pricks stops halfway down to light up a cigar... needless to say all the 'tourists' were luk kreung, no Farang...

4 hours ago, wayned said:

With the sad passing of Rama IX, it's pretty obvious who the race will be named after...

On 12/26/2016 at 6:31 AM, Bullie said:

Not to mention the extreme lack of good marinas. Without marinas, trying to develop sailing, is like trying to develop F1 without world class racetracks. It is a pipe dream. More wishful thinking on the part of the infamously incompetent TAT. Now that Little P. has squashed the golden goose of Western tourism, with his big mouth, and spouting of nationalistic nonsense, on a non-stop basis, and the next golden goose of Chinese tourism is revealing itself as a zero baht disaster, they are clutching to anything they can dream up. Typically, they are talking prior to any planning, of development of the kind of resources that would convince real sailors to sail these waters. Most sailors are going to stay closer to Malaysia and Singapore, where they have real facilities, and infrastructure to support their sport and lifestyle.