Sympathy for ‘Mor Nim’ amid debate on mental angst caused by violence

webfact

Sympathy for ‘Mor Nim’ amid debate on mental angst caused by violence
By The Nation

5607413af4703d1589b4881f0dc3999a.jpeg

Mor Nim ,who recived the death penalty recently for arranging her husband to be shot dead in 2013.

BANGKOK: -- AFTER the dust has settled, the truth has finally come out that ‘Mor Nim’ had long suffered physical and mental abuse from her husband, who was having an affair with another woman.

Dr Nithiwadee Phucharoenyos, 40, was sentenced to death early this month for ordering the killing of her husband, Olympic marksman Jakkrit Panichpatikum.

A lawyer, who was found to have helped arrange the contract, also received the death penalty.

The truth behind the sorry story has won the doctor public sympathy, as well as a new legal debate over whether domestic violence can be a factor in the case.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302839

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-26

It's a hollywood plot.

Doctor and lawyer combine to contract kill, svelte Dr's husband. Caught. Prosecuted, sentenced and thennnn ...... the images keep coming of said doctor. Public sympathy via social media. Dead man just dead but pretty girl in jail. 

Prosecutor says "an element of spontaneity" needed to vindicate public sympathy. lol. Pls tell us of spontaneity. Credits roll as she walks into TESCO with new bow in eighteen months time.

And there it is, the old sympathy card.... The prosecuter will argue that it was premeditated, that she could have walked away from the marriage, maybe even financial motives (losing out in case of separation).

I see her as a conniving predator on her way to her just rewards who will say anything to get out of this pickle, and failing.

2 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

i wonder if the result would be different if she looked like a beast? 

Of couse it would. But that's the whole point. Beauty like hers, combined with intelligence and medical skills are a rare commodity, not to be wasted rotting away in jail or worse - extinguished. Set her free to find a man who can appreciate her gifts.

Not a spontaneous act of violence per the first article but:

"•    Having defended his or herself to protect his or her right to be safe from any violent and unlawful acts and such acts are deemed imminent, to a reasonable extent, following Section 68."

bingo!!

Free Mor Nim!!!

Domestic vIolence should be taken into consideration 

Many woman feel threatened by an abusive husband and fear for their life

Its not any different then someone trying to kill you and you fight back and kill them 

because they attacked you 

Its called self defence 

1 hour ago, Lex Talionis said:

Of couse it would. But that's the whole point. Beauty like hers, combined with intelligence and medical skills are a rare commodity, not to be wasted rotting away in jail or worse - extinguished. Set her free to find a man who can appreciate her gifts.

"•    Having defended his or herself to protect his or her right to be safe from any violent and unlawful acts and such acts are deemed imminent, to a reasonable extent, following Section 68."

bingo!!

Free Mor Nim!!!

Whilst I'm of the view that nobody has the right to injure or murder another person, if the lady concerned saw no other way of getting out of an awful situation, where she was physically and mentally tormented by her husband and was afraid of the consequences of leaving him (threats???), then the case should be reconsidered. However, it does need a proper investigation supported by reliable witnesses.

I too,have sympathy for her.Her husband was a violent,abusive,control freak,who treated her abysmally. And i could go with the fact that he is dead,if,she had done it herself,whilst in a moment of anger,or fear or just to stop him.But what i cant get my head around,to say 'let her walk' is the fact that she paid someone to do it.That changes the game.Yes!As most op's say,"she is hot,she is a beauty",and all the other comments that are obviously penis oriented.But she has to have thought about this in the cold light of day.She premeditated his death.Premeditation is an act,where the murder is calculated.I'm sorry gentlemen,but this woman,could have stabbed the husband whilst taking a beating.All she had to do, was to stab him or shoot him(they all have guns) and then immediately turn herself in.But she waited,and planned the killing.

No,one likes to see a youngish woman get the death penalty,or life,but i just cant make a case for her.But on the brighter side,does anybody really think that she will do any time? She could be really unlucky if the presiding judge happens to be her dead husbands best mate,or golf buddy.

3 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Domestic vIolence should be taken into consideration 

Many woman feel threatened by an abusive husband and fear for their life

Its not any different then someone trying to kill you and you fight back and kill them 

because they attacked you 

Its called self defence 

Oh man, if that domestic violence is true (she is obviously a master lyer), so she is still much better of than women without job. She could just walk away from it. But she steels his assets and kills him and shows no remorse of it. Hang her!

Surely it is the premeditation element that changes the game.  If her story of previous ill-treatment by her husband is true, then clearly this should be taken into account but should not enable her to walk completely free.  She should serve some time in jail, if only to deter other husbands/wives from using the same excuse for murder. Her beauty can easily deflect some peoples' thought towards her, but some of the most beautiful women in the world have also been the most conniving and manipulative bu using their God-given assets.

5 hours ago, Lex Talionis said:

bingo!!

Free Mor Nim!!!

No! Why?

"The judge said that according to the law, any offences resulting from a burst of anger or any defence against imminent violence must carry spontaneous or have instantaneous elements. It is not justifiable for any offence or defence against imminent harm or maltreatment that has been left for some time before being committed or acted in revenge.

And it was not justifiable if another person acted on behalf of the victim, he added.

10 hours ago, optad said:

It is absurd. How do you create leniency on a premeditated crime based on 'spontaneity'?

They will argue it, get reduction and she will walk in the future. Just how the process goes. 

Crime of Passion, old son. With a Thai twist to it. It was premeditated and carefully planned spontaneity.

Crowd funding next?

Retiredandhappyhere

If you are inferring to my post,where i said that she paid someone to do it.By that very action,the game is changed to premeditation.If you care to read further into my post you will see that i said that she changed the game because she paid someone to do it,and she thought about it in the cold light of day,and waited and had him killed.Now surely that would indicate premeditation.Where did you not understand that my post automatically implied the game was changed at that point.

"In fact, she was receiving treatment at a hospital due to a beating from him when, according to a witness, she handed Bt600,000 in cash to accomplices involved in the murder of her husband."

-  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30302759

"Battered person syndrome is a physical and psychological condition of a person who has suffered (usually persistent) emotionalphysical, or sexual abuse from another person.[1] It is classified as ICD-9 code 995.81 "Battered person syndrome" not elsewhere classified (NEC).
The condition is the basis for the battered spouse defense that has been used in cases of physically and psychologically abused spouses who have killed their abusers." - Wikipedia 

Just a sad story .  My thai friend tells me the going rate to get someone knocked off is only 50,000 baht.  but a famous one costs more like 300,000. So I guess 600,000 was enough for this lawyer to risk his future. 

Edited by Elkski

Not just premeditated. A lot more implications arise if you consider she is a physician - someone with training and skills, knowledge etc about poisons, what is traceable post-mortem and what is not;  other myriad ways to cause death (or serious, permanent disablement) that are difficult or impossible to detect. For instance, many snake or spider venoms undetectable in food can cause death if the consumer has ulcers in the mouth or digestive system (so the venom enters the bloodstream).  Death appears to result from heart attack or similar. A doctor, but so morally flaccid she had to rely on the assistance of someone with enough gumption to do what was 'necessary'. Dreadful character weakness. Who'd want her as a life partner?

I'd been wondering where Mor Nim studied medicine. According to a Pantip thread from 3 1/2 years ago, she graduated in medicine from Rangsit University, a private university in Thailand's Pathum Thani province. I don't think you'd be able to get a government grant to go there, so you'd need to be quite wealthy to pay the fees.
Apparently she was the offspring of a 'mia noi'. Her mum's still alive, but her father died some time ago, leaving the mia luang behind.

Edited by katana