Pope Francis makes Christmas plea for peace

webfact

Pope Francis makes Christmas plea for peace

606x341_353258.jpg

ROME: -- Pope Francis delivered words of hope and comfort, alongside pleas for peace, in his Christmas Day address.

The pope’s central theme this year was the need to strive for harmony and fairness – amid the wars, terrorism and hardship blighting the lives of many people around the world.

There were special words for the families of victims of terror attacks.

“Peace to those who have lost a person dear to them as a result of the brutal acts of terrorism, which have sown fear and death into the hearts of so many countries and cities,” he said, addressing the crowd of some 40,000 people gathered in St. Peter’s Square in Rome.

Francis called on the Palestinians and Israelis to put aside hate and appealed for humanitarian aid for Syria.

He also urged people to remember refugees and migrants and all those hit by economic instability caused by “idolatry of money.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-26

7 hours ago, webfact said:

He also urged people to remember refugees and migrants and all those hit by economic instability caused by “idolatry of money.”

Now this part really impresses the H out of me. I listened to the speech by the Archbishop of Canterbury and that impressed me even more. He covered all the bases in spades. Here is part of the speech

Quote Governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney said three weeks ago, "Despite immense progress many citizens in advanced economies are facing heightened uncertainty… rather than a new golden era, globalisation is associated with low wages, insecure employment, stateless corporation and striking inequalities." 

That uncertainty of our world, our feelings tells us that our values are in the wrong place. I learned last week of a family in one of our cities who lowered their child in a supermarket dustbin to scavenge for food before fishing him out. What will that family eat today?  

Economic progress, technological progress, communication progress hasn’t resulted in economic justice. It hasn’t delivered glory for us unquote. I am not religious but this man has nailed it.

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Useless words.

Indeed - from the head of a very, very rich organization that will get richer and richer exploiting those very poor people who theypeddle indulgent forgiveness to - for a price.

How about coughing up some of that Catholic Church wealth? Much of which was gained in very non peaceful activities?