Ubon Ratchathani optometrist

kriket58

Are there any decent optometrists in Ubon, I require lens replacement on existing frames. I need progressive lens but do not have a prescription with me.

I see plenty of Top Charoen places around Ubon but prefer another option if available. Anyone have any recent experience/s and/or recommendations?

Good luck with finding a decent pair of high end lenses at a reasonable price (ie same as the high-ish price you would pay in falangland). Personally I only go for emergency single vision pairs in Thailand and wait for my next visit to the UK for replacement varifocals. Maybe it's got better in the last couple of years since I trawled round - I'm not a Thai-basher generally, but when it comes to specs I had the same sort of experiences as referenced in this Pattaya thread when looking round Ubon.

Would welcome any contrary opinions/recommendations myself!

Edited by SantiSuk

Well as My wife operate our own Pharmacy we have relay many patient (Thai & Foreigners) and i have been Eye clinic as well and fantastic and fluent English one of the best Ubon Eye Doctor. 

And surprisingly he is not that expensive as there is full load of normal Thai people there every day..

He is open every day and he is there as every day.
Dr.Sima 045-209299 and 081-5470099 
GPS location here.  15°14'34.68"N 104°51'7.03"E

Dr.Sima.png

There's only about sixteen (16) or so licensed optometrists in the entire country who don't work at a hospital, there was a thread on this very subject recently. The message is very very clear, go to a hospital and see a qualified ophthalmologist and get your eyes checked there.

3 hours ago, MarcoH said:

Well as My wife operate our own Pharmacy we have relay many patient (Thai & Foreigners) and i have been Eye clinic as well and fantastic and fluent English one of the best Ubon Eye Doctor. 

And surprisingly he is not that expensive as there is full load of normal Thai people there every day..

He is open every day and he is there as every day.
Dr.Sima 045-209299 and 081-5470099 
GPS location here.  15°14'34.68"N 104°51'7.03"E

I can 2nd your comments. Dr. Sima did my cataract surgery in August of this year.

He is good and well know in Thai society especially normal Thai people as he is not expensive and he is always so nice when talking to older generation.

Many of our customers where directed to him as here they have no idea where they can find normal price service from Ubon town

My FIL also had his cataracts done there within the last 3 months and is very happy with the outcome.

That is the old burn-out Phatumrat Hotel (alongside Long Beach and Mix Disco) on Chayangkhun to the right of Marco's picture btw (for the digitally challenged like me!).

Clearly a good optometrist/eye surgeon but has anyone had high end specs/lenses from there? Only went in briefly two times to see how the family were getting along and got the impression that the place had a small range of glasses, so I rather wrote it off as an optician possibility.

Cataract cost for my FIL - 24,000 per side side; no discount for two sides contracted at the same time (but check the latter - just had a typical 2 minute confusing conversation with my wife so I'm only 80% sure of that which I write!)

Edited by SantiSuk

12 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

My FIL also had his cataracts done there within the last 3 months and is very happy with the outcome.

That is the old burn-out Phatumrat Hotel (alongside Long Beach and Mix Disco) on Chayangkhun to the right of Marco's picture btw (for the digitally challenged like me!).

Clearly a good optometrist/eye surgeon but has anyone had high end specs/lenses from there? Only went in briefly two times to see how the family were getting along and got the impression that the place had a small range of glasses, so I rather wrote it off as an optician possibility.

Cataract cost for my FIL - 24,000 per side side; no discount for two sides contracted at the same time (but check the latter - just had a typical 2 minute confusing conversation with my wife so I'm only 80% sure of that which I write!)

I agree with you Santisuk about  the small range of glasses at Dr Sima's surgery.  I couldn't even find decent sunglasses there after my cataract surgery four years ago.  

Dr Sima is an eye surgeon. He does excellent laser treatment on cataracts. I went there four years ago and had both eyes done for a cost from memory of 23,000 baht per eye.  Eyes were done 4 weeks apart. After wearing glasses for forty years I wear them no more, except for one special pair I keep at home to read extremely small print on cards etc.  

I don't think Dr Sima himself does normal eye examination for glasses. He doesn’t have time. That is done by a young chap there and I don't think he is that great. Dr Sima's surgery is crowded everyday with people with cataracts or other eye infection problems. 

The OP wants progressive lens replaced in his existing glasses frame. I would highly recommend Chaaw Ween in the old part of Ubon city.  On the one way road Ubonsak, just a few metres up the road from the Sikamon Hotel.  For years I always got my progressive lens made there. With some lens they have to get them made in Bangkok, so one has to wait about seven days.  

BUT Chaaw Ween is not cheap. With a frame and progressive lens one could looking at paying 20,000 baht. Chaaw Ween has an extensive range of frames to choose from.  

And as regards to Top Charoen. I have heard nothing but bad stories about them. Girls are pretty but the glasses are rubbish. I have never been able to figure how Top Charoen shops make money. Their shops are every where. I have come to the conclusion they are a front for money laundering.

1 hour ago, Michael Hare said:

I agree with you Santisuk about  the small range of glasses at Dr Sima's surgery.  I couldn't even find decent sunglasses there after my cataract surgery four years ago.  

Dr Sima is an eye surgeon. He does excellent laser treatment on cataracts. I went there four years ago and had both eyes done for a cost from memory of 23,000 baht per eye.  Eyes were done 4 weeks apart. After wearing glasses for forty years I wear them no more, except for one special pair I keep at home to read extremely small print on cards etc.  

I don't think Dr Sima himself does normal eye examination for glasses. He doesn’t have time. That is done by a young chap there and I don't think he is that great. Dr Sima's surgery is crowded everyday with people with cataracts or other eye infection problems. 

The OP wants progressive lens replaced in his existing glasses frame. I would highly recommend Chaaw Ween in the old part of Ubon city.  On the one way road Ubonsak, just a few metres up the road from the Sikamon Hotel.  For years I always got my progressive lens made there. With some lens they have to get them made in Bangkok, so one has to wait about seven days.  

BUT Chaaw Ween is not cheap. With a frame and progressive lens one could looking at paying 20,000 baht. Chaaw Ween has an extensive range of frames to choose from.  

And as regards to Top Charoen. I have heard nothing but bad stories about them. Girls are pretty but the glasses are rubbish. I have never been able to figure how Top Charoen shops make money. Their shops are every where. I have come to the conclusion they are a front for money laundering.

Like the OP, I also wear progressive lenses.  As my ancient eyes deteriorate I have the devil of a job getting an accurate examination that gives me clear sight short and long.

I had planned to visit Dr. Sima, but thanks to your information, now not such a good idea.

I have heard mention of a Dr. Sunsanee  - I wonder whether any posters have had any dealings with her?

1 hour ago, elwood said:

Like the OP, I also wear progressive lenses.  As my ancient eyes deteriorate I have the devil of a job getting an accurate examination that gives me clear sight short and long.

I had planned to visit Dr. Sima, but thanks to your information, now not such a good idea.

I have heard mention of a Dr. Sunsanee  - I wonder whether any posters have had any dealings with her?

Yes, I have also been to see Dr Sunsanee. She is a very eye doctor. I am not sure about whether or not she makes lenses.

Good info Michael.

20,000 baht for progressive lenses (if they are thin plastic of good quality) is about the going rate for the same in the UK, though you might get a cheap pair of single lens glasses thrown in for that price at one or other of the two large chains if they are on a promo.

To be precise - it was about the same price when the exchange rate was 50 baht plus! 7 days is a normal wait for such glasses in the UK also - single lens glasses are cut on site but progressives go to a national processing place at both of the large national chains and an independent that I have used in the last couple of decades.

14 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

I also used to get glasses from Chaaw Ween but a couple of years ago the man who did the lens making and fitting left and opened up his own small stall at U Park. I hve since gone there to get glasses made. Much cheaper than Chaaw Ween. Not a great choice of frames but I expect you can buy your frames elsewhere and take them to him.  

Yesterday my wife went to Chaaw Ween to get a pair of glasses with progressive lens that she can use for both driving and reading. A lot of customers. Waited nearly two hours before getting her eye examination.

Once her turn came, she was extremely pleased with the young lady optician, daughter of the owner who did the eye examination. Very thorough. Then it took a while to choose a frame because there were so many to choose from.

The initial cost for everything was 20,000 baht (examination, lens, frame) but she bargained that down to 17,000 baht. So not cheap. Two years she got glasses from a optician at CentralPlaza. Cheaper at 12,000 baht but she can’t even use them.