Facebook issues statement on false alarm about Bangkok blast

webfact

Facebook issues statement on false alarm about Bangkok blast
By The Nation

576270ac4b1fce707d30931b162da1f0.png

BANGKOK: -- Facebook on Wednesday issued a statement explaining the activation of its “Safety Check” feature, which triggered a false alarm on Tuesday about an explosion in Bangkok.

In fact, the “explosion” was a barrage of firecrackers hurled at Government House by a single protester on Tuesday morning.

In a statement, Facebook said the Safety Check was activated on the basis of confirmation by a third party of the supposed blast.

“As with all Safety Check activations, Facebook relies on a trusted third party to first confirm the incident and then on the community to use the tool and share with friends and family,” the statement said.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30303006

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-28

1 hour ago, sharecropper said:

There was a guy slinging ping pong bombs off the roof of Government House. I think they acted reasonably and properly.  Who knows. it could have been another scummy coup in progress...

What do you mean, another scummy coup ? The last coup was totally necessary and saved the country from certain civil war after a megalomaniac named toxin had managed to completely divide the country in the interests of personal gain !

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

What do you mean, another scummy coup ? The last coup was totally necessary and saved the country from certain civil war after a megalomaniac named toxin had managed to completely divide the country in the interests of personal gain !

Great to see irony and idiocy sometimes combine.

I was told there was an explosion in Bangkok last night by a  FB friend.  I was worried for 5 minutes until I checked all the news channels .

I think Facebook should go back to what it was meant to be in the beginning , a social network to meet friends and let the real news channels deal with the "serious stuff". 

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Oh really!  Talk about Fake News - you should get an award.  But carry on, making it up as you go along,  as the coup did to justify their 'scummy coup'.