Mori poll: Thailand ranks 7th in world "ignorant index" but US is number 5!

webfact

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, laislica said:

I searched on dumb americans and posted a few clips but they seem to have disappeared.....

It has been great fun to watch and take part in the dumb bashing but....

How about spreading the fun to other nations too?

Should us Brits be bashed for Brexit? LOL

No more videos like that, please.  They are off topic and do violate forum rules.  And no videos about other countries.  There's enough nationality basing on this forum already.

:jap:

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You guys were late to the party again. If the UK had folded in 1940 the Yanks would be talking German now, and don't forget you made us pay back every dollar for the "help".

Ha ha, we, and the whole world should be thankful you turned up though...

They arrived after the Japs and Nazis were almost exhausted and only because they didnt want to miss out on their slice of the cake.

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

But those cheap immigrants or illegals are good for the bottom line. Not saying that you would agree to such a practice (of employing illegal Mexican ... or Burmese, wink wink), but it is the reality (and not just in the USA). That is how businesses work if one does not have a better product, one can always cut  costs. Of course, you can always displace the factory and make it look good and make the goods in China, some with great profit margins (smart phones) and some with low margins like T-shirts that are cheaper than 20 years ago and which general consumers love. It is a love-hate relationship.

On the other hand, if English was easier to learn, this might be a non-issue. With its hundreds of thousands of misspellings in its lexicon and NO ONE wanting to clean this up, it causes issues. Duh? Maybe it is time to point the finger in the right direction. There is a political system that is a mess as well, with lobbyists calling the shots, which explains the dire state of everything. In the meantime, they shoot us with cheap, mindless entertainment to prevent us from reforming the system. 

I endorse your final sentence 100%:

"News" like this is purely a diversion to prevent us from thinking.

Thinking is not required and is dangerous to the smooth profit making by the big corporations and the huge bribes to the politicians that facilitate them.

Also, great click bait LOL

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, Brer Fox said:

I am shocked! I must be ignorant as I have always believed the people of the USA to be remarkably erudite. Most of those who I meet are always telling me they are anyway.

I too am remarkably erudite! (what's that mean anyway?)

" if you have time - search "Jaywalking" on YouTube for some great examples." Leno is in it for laughs, and he was great at it. However, if you dare think about it for a minute or less, safe to assume he would not air interviews with people who knew the answers. No laughs there..... Proof by anecdote to make a generalization is nearly always suspect. Heck, I am teaching my Thai wife the names of the continents and oceans. I guess they didn't cover that in school, or maybe she was in mental erase mode (good strategy given teaching methods here).

On 12/29/2016 at 8:35 AM, radiochaser said:

Some people, in the United States, literally think that "ignorant" means "stupid".  

But, what do I know, I use a 57 year old, 10 pound,  dictionary to fact check google word definitions!

Invest in a new dictionary. Go on, treat yourself, if you have the stones.

On 29/12/2016 at 11:57 AM, smedly said:

I think some people are confused about the literal meaning of ignorance, many assume it means to be rude - ill mannered etc

here is a sample of the literal meaning- lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated

It means both, and the rankings for Thailand and the US are probably about right for both senses of the word......lol.....555

4 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

A lot to do with a reluctance (or inability) to teach world history, and a penchant for distorting domestic.

'This age group represents the most connected sample of people with their computers and smart phones, said the company.' Connected, yes. Knowledgeable, no.

They are known as the Millennials1980-2000, after Generation X 1960-80 who were after the Baby Boomers 1940-60.

I posted a discussion on this topic but it was removed as off topic and against TVF rules.

If you are interested, Youtube has a great video by Simon Sinek, simon sinek the millennials in the workplace.

There is also a great Ted talk about how the world will cope with the 2000-20 generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-enHH-r_FM

TEDxSF - Scott Hess - Millennials: Who They Are & Why We Hate Them

I found them very interesting and has given me things to think about, especially for my grandchildren.

If only stuff like this was available when I was rearing kids in the 70's.

I am shocked! I must be ignorant as I have always believed the people of the USA to be remarkably erudite. Most of those who I meet are always telling me they are anyway.

I find the people I meet from the USA are far from ignorant. But they are the open minded ones as they are travelling. However when I went to Las Vegas I met loads of Ignorant ones but mostly still nice people.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I find the people I meet from the USA are far from ignorant. But they are the open minded ones as they are travelling. However when I went to Las Vegas I met loads of Ignorant ones but mostly still nice people.

Those who you met in Las Vagas were most likely "deplorables" but most likely nice people.

And yet Singapore, which is a tiny country, and a very new country, and is supposedly well educated, did terribly also. 

Also, the USA going from 24th to 5th in one year makes the whole thing very suspect. Not because the USA did poorly ... that's not my point ... but because of such a huge change in only one year. 

And why is North Korea not in the list?

I assume because they can't even do the test there. They would be top with out a doubt even if ant there thought.

They may have computers & smartphones but that doesn't always equate to an increase in knowledge...
99% usage in Thailand is to chase pokemons, take selfies, record what they're about to eat on social media, video fights 
and dating sites!!

To be fair I think you could say that about most people. But still made me laugh.

Did I read this correctly?

27000 people in 40 countries,  so about 675 people per country.  

I don't know much about sampling,  but 675 (even double or treble it) would seem doubtfully representative of populations the size of China or USA.

Interesting to know who sponsored this poll and why ?

Maybe last year they did it in New York and this year they did it in Texas would explain the change in position.

Re above post the situation could arise because of scenes in movies where in the movie people see someone make a sudden decision to go to Asia and the next day they are on a plane on their way. No ref to visas passports etc so it's thought of as being that's how it is.
Mind you the movie is in colour so it must be true, right?
And the USA cracked the Enigma code, right? I've seen the movie.

Yes and when that film came out there was still people alive in the UK who helped cracked it.

Perhaps the problem is who administered the poll. The Brits have never forgiven the USA for winning WWII. Meanwhile, the Brexit move seems to have been pretty 'ignorant'; pound down to 44 per Baht.

The Russians won WWII if we like it or not. But you probably right about Brexit