UK in 2030: older, more unequal and blighted by Brexit, report predicts

webfact

2 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

But demanding a second vote doesn't sound like accepting to me!!!

Of course, even thinking about a second vote would set a stupid and dangerous precedent for democracy.  The left's position, in any country, is if things don't go their way, create mayhem, riot, etc.  

The very worry you mention is what is causing the uncertainty in markets.  I've been investing for 40 years, and it's never been any different, 90% rumour, fear and hysteria, and only 10% fundamentals that drive the markets of the world.

What market uncertainty? What riots? PS Corbyn has been as much effect as a wet whatsit in a paper bag.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember prior to the US election when the Democrats forecast that a Trump win would cause a financial meltdown.   The markets have surged almost every day since!!!  

The left of politics %$#@&* !!

We can disregard how the democrats trotted out another 'victim' of Trump's sexual harassment every week or so, culminating in the one who was allegedly groped on a flight, never told anybody in the airline, or the police, or her family, or her friends,  but coincidentally just thought it would be a great idea a week before the election.   That sort of crap is what did Clinton and her leftists in.

43 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I see that a bottle of Leo has gone up 1 Baht. That must be because of Brexit also. Have you notice anything that is negative is caused by Brexit even things that were predicted before the referendum. Anything positive is short term and will be gone due to Brexit.

The whole farcical nonsense is becoming childish and showing just how destitute some papers and organisations are. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence just ignores it.

If a bottle of Leo has gone up 1 baht and the pound has gone down over 15%, then maybe someone with a decent grasp of maths can work out the effect on those based in sterling.

7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

One of the must see tourist experiences in Pattaya is to visit one of the myriad old git bars where Brexit voting Brits will gleefully tell you that the pound has never been stronger. :unsure::wacko::cheesy:

I don't think they would care if the EU kicks out all the ex-pat Brits in mainland Europe.

If they have enough money to retire here then it doesn't matter.

I'll have a pint of whatever you are drinking...

:burp:

1 minute ago, SheungWan said:

If a bottle of Leo has gone up 1 baht and the pound has gone down over 15%, then maybe someone with a decent grasp of maths can work out the effect on those based in sterling.

It may just be that the manufacturers of Leo have put their price up???   It may have nothing to do with the GBP, or it may.   We will never know.

2 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

It may just be that the manufacturers of Leo have put their price up???   It may have nothing to do with the GBP, or it may.   We will never know.

Sterling holders have suffered in real terms whether or not Leo prices go up nominally.

4 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I don't think they would care if the EU kicks out all the ex-pat Brits in mainland Europe.

If they have enough money to retire here then it doesn't matter.

I'll have a pint of whatever you are drinking...

:burp:

The point is that all those with sterling income and/or sterling savings are down in real terms.

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Currency fluctuations happen and I have seen the baht at 85 or more to the pound. Blame that on Brexit...

So the Euro is a safe bet then? Hasn't it devalued too?

Or the US dollar with the new President, is that a safe bet?

If you want to live in a warm climate, you just have to put up with it or go home to the cold and pay the gas and electric bills to stay warm.

A 10% drop in the pound is all that has happened,

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

It is you who is deluded my friend. The EU and the Euro Zone is on it's last legs. The "remoaners" are the ones in denial.

The sooner the UK is out of this fanatical pursuit of a federal Europe dominated by conglomerate business and unelected bureaucrats the better.  The pound is about 12% down to the Baht at the moment, but it was 10% last week. It is the constant doom and gloom spread by the Europhiles that unsettle the money markets. The economy is doing very well, or didn't you notice?

You wrote, " A 10% drop in the pound is all that has happened, ", it wasn't, that drop was 18% (on 27 October).

You wrote, "The pound is about 12% down", it isn't. On 23 June GBP/THB was 52.35, today it is 44.04, a drop of 15.8%

You seem to not understand the difference between "was" and "is" and not to remember fact, which may be found here: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1Y

As for inflation, here's the current chart:  2016 United Kingdom Inflation Rate: Year over Year

You'll be aware that 2016 inflation is up 0.90% over the previous year. https://www.statbureau.org/en/united-kingdom/inflation

Now don't bother me any more with your made up arguments, I have no interest in discussing anything with people substitute their opinion and wet dreams for fact.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Here is something for you to read below. It isn't from the express. Personally I love the current  pound to baht exchange rate as I don't and never will rely on it. If it isn't Brexit then some are saying its Trumps fault. The world is mad.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/predictions-2017/money/

"My view is that while the triggering of Article 50 to begin formal Brexit negotiations could provoke some short-term market reaction, investors will not see it as a surprise and retain their poise. This is not to say that neither will have consequences for economies – only that these themes will influence the financial world through the detail of their effects on people and businesses".

The past year witnessed a series of political and economic shocks – and the market’s response was not what many investors expected.

Having been warned of a collapse in the event of an “out” vote in the EU referendum, the market confounded commentators by rising strongly.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

3 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

A 10% drop in the pound is all that has happened,

You wrote, " A 10% drop in the pound is all that has happened, ", it wasn't, that drop was 18% (on 27 October).

You wrote, "The pound is about 12% down", it isn't. On 23 June GBP/THB was 52.35, today it is 44.04, a drop of 15.8%

You seem to not understand the difference between "was" and "is" and not to remember fact, which may be found here: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=1Y

As for inflation, here's the current chart:  2016 United Kingdom Inflation Rate: Year over Year

You'll be aware that 2016 inflation is up 0.90% over the previous year. https://www.statbureau.org/en/united-kingdom/inflation

Now don't bother me any more with your made up arguments, I have no interest in discussing anything with people substitute their opinion and wet dreams for fact.

Oh dear, you seem a trifle upset diddums....

Didn't you like a dose of the truth?

Nothing made up, check the facts.

You have no argument, just a few figures that mean very little over a short time scale. Wow 0.9% increase in inflation, disaster!

If you live on a knife edge that is your business.

Maybe you should go and teach English in Spain... Oh, sorry your English (or typing) isn't very good. How about selling houses in Romania? Maybe

Investments in Italy, Greece or Lithuania?

Yes, you can have a last word if you want but you know Chiang Mai is the losers city to retire to. Cheap and crap.

And I don't live in Pattaya, and never would.

:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Yes, and funny how the "left" forget they changed horses. Neil Kinnock, who was a Eurosceptic as was Corbyn, has made £10m from his time in Brussels along with his wife who never won an election in her life.

We talk about corruption in Thailand, but it is just a drop in the ocean compared to the trough the Eurocrats have their noses in.

Glenys Kinnock served for 15 years as the elected MEP for South Wales East.

In the UK we have a whole second house of Parliament to which nobody gets elected. 

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

The point is that all those with sterling income and/or sterling savings are down in real terms.

I agree, and there was a time when they were UP in real terms.  Currencies and markets fluctuate, and if people retiring in a country like Thailand, or taking out a home loan, doesn't take into account a significant variation in currency or interest rates (a worse case scenario), before embarking on a particular course, they are asking for trouble.

16 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Thank God, I was worried that 18% fall in the value of Sterling was real!

Be careful Chiang Mai the warm weather is coming and left wing snowflakes melt , just like the remainers rubbish doom and gloom predictiones did .:smile:

1 hour ago, pitrevie said:

Glenys Kinnock served for 15 years as the elected MEP for South Wales East.

In the UK we have a whole second house of Parliament to which nobody gets elected. 

I give up, the electric supply died before I could reply and I can't be bothered to type it all again.

Briefly:

Glenys is in the HoL as is Neil. Brown made her a minister in the UK government. Yes she was elected as MEP for South Wales. What did she achieve in 15 years for the electorate?

The two have made millions out of their EU jobs and pensions.

5 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I give up, the electric supply died before I could reply and I can't be bothered to type it all again.

Briefly:

Glenys is in the HoL as is Neil. Brown made her a minister in the UK government. Yes she was elected as MEP for South Wales. What did she achieve in 15 years for the electorate?

The two have made millions out of their EU jobs and pensions.

So you agree she was elected now you have decided to ask what she achieved in that time which is something I am sure you do for every MEP or even every UK MP for that matter. Ones such as Farage who attended 1 out of 42 committee meetings he was elected to serve on and represent his constituents. However despite claiming maximum expenses while he was not attending these meetings I am sure he will also be forgoing his MEP Pension just to set an example. However its very noticeable that among all the MEPs that have been elected and all the Commissioners that have represented the UK since we have been members of that body the only two people that people mention on this forum are the Kinnocks. 

14 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

So you agree she was elected now you have decided to ask what she achieved in that time which is something I am sure you do for every MEP or even every UK MP for that matter. Ones such as Farage who attended 1 out of 42 committee meetings he was elected to serve on and represent his constituents. However despite claiming maximum expenses while he was not attending these meetings I am sure he will also be forgoing his MEP Pension just to set an example. However its very noticeable that among all the MEPs that have been elected and all the Commissioners that have represented the UK since we have been members of that body the only two people that people mention on this forum are the Kinnocks. 

I suggest you check out Gordon Brown's attendance at the commons after the 2010 election if you want to talk about taking the money and doing nothing.... Brown and Blair wanted to be commissioners but were rejected by the very people I am talking about.

Do you really believe in the EU project?

Can you not see what is and has been going on for 40+ years?

Do you believe in a democratic system?

And I ask you this; when your young kids ask: "Is Santa real?"

What do you say?

"Of course, but his real name is Junker, Tusk and Schulz..."

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I suggest you check out Gordon Brown's attendance at the commons after the 2010 election if you want to talk about taking the money and doing nothing.... Brown and Blair wanted to be commissioners but were rejected by the very people I am talking about.

Do you really believe in the EU project?

Can you not see what is and has been going on for 40+ years?

Do you believe in a democratic system?

And I ask you this; when your young kids ask: "Is Santa real?"

What do you say?

"Of course, but his real name is Junker, Tusk and Schulz..."

I don't have to go as far as the EU I just look at our own second chamber consisting entirely of the un-elected and until Blair came along and pushed the reforms only there due to an accident of birth or appointed for services rendered to some party or other. (I assume you don't approve of the Lords since you appear such a strong advocate of democracy) I don't have to go as far as the EU to look at corruption which is going to be part of whatever system you have but our own un-elected Lords let alone MPs have had their fair share of corruption. one of them now leads UKIP in Wales.

23 hours ago, jpinx said:

It's more of the same clickbait which a lot of people will skim through and come away with only the gloom and doom.  It's a sad fact that there is no such thin as "good news".  Only bad news sells newspapers......

the best news 2016 was the brexit...wonderful delighting....one important country that left the new udssr....brussel the new ddr headquarter...try to make europaens slave to banks and multinationals try to contrtol evrrybody and everything ..my deepest respect and admiration for those britains that choose to be masters in their own homeland again kicking out the foreign rulers that only brought crime import and unemployment and a worst variation of orwells utopias

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

You don't do satire do you, we can tell.

Be careful with the satire - it sometimes comes with a holiday attached ! ;)

What does *your* QED stand for? Quit Emasculating Democracy?  :D:D

18 minutes ago, jpinx said:

Be careful with the satire - it sometimes comes with a holiday attached ! ;)

What does *your* QED stand for? Quit Emasculating Democracy?  :D:D

QED = quod erat demonstrandum" ("that which was to be demonstrated"), a notation which is often placed at the end of a mathematical proof to indicate its completion but is also used to prove an answer, in this case the posters failure to understand satire and sarcasm.