questions about renewing retirement visa

9 minutes ago, danadaddee said:

he will either be fined or the agency has been handling the check ins, I guess...

I did Vientiane after coming to thailand, applied for and got my OA visa there.  not sure what my friend did.  so yes, you can apply for an OA at any Thai embassy apparently...

many people were doing the same thing there...

He could be fined??

I hope that whatever he has in his passport is genuine.

Any chance you post a photo of the visa minus pers' details.

Edited by overherebc

Just now, ubonjoe said:

For not doing 90 day reports.

True if all is genuine UBJ.

Agents can do the strangest things. 

Around my way, Patts,  2 guys used an agent and when they turned up at Patts Imm' it turned out all the work had been done from some where around Ayuthaya .

5 hours ago, danadaddee said:

Thanks Munotlaw,

Americans don't need this, I recently did mine with only the notarized affidavit of income provided by my embassy.  Hence his interest in doing it himself now...

I will recommend he discuss with the lawyer to see what he wants to charge before taking the next step I guess... but if he lied to him a year ago, how can you trust his advice???

Americans have to provide the same documents and fulfill the same requirements as everyone else. The affidavit from the embassy is the required proof of income. All other nationals can do the same thing by getting an affidavit or other form of proof from their embassies ... although the requirements at each embassy may differ. Hopefully anyone signing an affidavit provides true information. It is an affidavit, not simply a notarized signature. Being an American I find it embarrassing when Americans think they are in some way exceptional.

Did the lawyer do the 90 day reports for him? If not he'll be fined since every foreigner staying in Thailand must report (or have someone do it for him) when staying in-country for 90 days or more. If he is fined, he should demand a reimbursement from the lawyer for not cluing him in on the requirements.

And, it isn't a retirement visa. It's an extension of stay. If he wants to travel out and back in Thailand, he'll need a re-entry permit in order to maintain the extension  because he no longer has a valid visa and visas are never extended.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Vientiane issued you a single entry non-o visa not a OA visa.

They only issue OA visas to Laotians and legal residents of Laos.

ok, I got that...  and after 60 days  I went to Jomtien immigration and changed it to a retirement visa...  I appreciate the corrections of language distinctions, I really do...  it has been confusing, but it's fun to navigate the system here, I have found the people at Jomtien immigration to be incredibly helpful too...

2 minutes ago, danadaddee said:

ok, I got that...  and after 60 days  I went to Jomtien immigration and changed it to a retirement visa...  I appreciate the corrections of language distinctions, I really do...  it has been confusing, but it's fun to navigate the system here, I have found the people at Jomtien immigration to be incredibly helpful too...

You applied for a 12 month extension of stay at Jontiem Immigration.

Not a retirement visa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Americans have to provide the same documents and fulfill the same requirements as everyone else. The affidavit from the embassy is the required proof of income. All other nationals can do the same thing by getting an affidavit from their embassies ... although the requirements at each embassy may differ. Being an American I find it embarrassing when Americans think they are in some way exceptional.

Did the lawyer do the 90 day reports for him? If not he'll be fined since every foreigner staying in Thailand must report (or have someone do it for him) when staying in-country for 90 days or more.

And, it isn't a retirement visa. It's an extension of stay. If he wants to travel out and back in Thailand, he'll need a re-entry permit in order to maintain the extension  because he no longer has a valid visa and visas are never extended.

thanks, and sorry for embarrassing you, I am new here and learning.  I am going in next week to do my first 90 day report, I have done all this stuff on my own, and still don't know the proper terminology... slow learner when it comes to this kind of stuff...  not interested in it.

most folks think they must provide bank statements, my point is that as an american I don't... I have not idea if others have the same option... fact is, the lawyer/agent told him he needed to pay 30K or provide bank statements, which is not true, there's another option.

I have no idea if his lawyer/agent handled his 90 day reporting, I guess he will find out soon...  he has traveled out of  Thailand several times in the last year, so he apparently knows about reentry permits, so I would guess his reporting has been handled or he would have found out already.

I have been here 8 months now and have not traveled at all since getting back from Laos. I do know I need to buy reentry permits if I travel,and can get them at immigration or the airport.  don't have any plans to go anywhere outside of Thailand for now.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

He could be fined??

I hope that whatever he has in his passport is genuine.

Any chance you post a photo of the visa minus pers' details.

ah, no...  and he has traveled out of Thailand multiple times so whatever he has is genuine I am sure.

:)

it really is a friend of mine in bangkok (not me), he's been here going on 4 years and never done his own visas/extensions...  he was flabbergasted when I told him about my experience, he did not believe it was possible because of what the lawyer/agent told him...

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

How long ago did he get the original?

Has he been giving the agent his passport every 90 days?

don't know how long ago, he at one point had a work visa because of his situation, but it changed some time ago, not sure when.

he has NOT been giving his passport to an agent to my knowledge...

12 minutes ago, danadaddee said:

thanks, and sorry for embarrassing you, I am new here and learning.  I am going in next week to do my first 90 day report, I have done all this stuff on my own, and still don't know the proper terminology... slow learner when it comes to this kind of stuff...  not interested in it.

most folks think they must provide bank statements, my point is that as an american I don't... I have not idea if others have the same option... fact is, the lawyer/agent told him he needed to pay 30K or provide bank statements, which is not true, there's another option.

I have no idea if his lawyer/agent handled his 90 day reporting, I guess he will find out soon...  he has traveled out of  Thailand several times in the last year, so he apparently knows about reentry permits, so I would guess his reporting has been handled or he would have found out already.

I have been here 8 months now and have not traveled at all since getting back from Laos. I do know I need to buy reentry permits if I travel,and can get them at immigration or the airport.  don't have any plans to go anywhere outside of Thailand for now.

There are 2 aspects to using the income method.  One is what your embassy require in order to give you the letter - they may want proof of the income or not, every embassy is different.  The other aspect is what your immigration office will want. Some have been known to ask for bank statements to back up the embassy letter.  As always, the immigration offices interpret the rules themselves and come up with different requirements sometimes.

Regarding going out and in during the year of your extension, you can get single or multiple re-entry permits, depending on what you think you'll need.  It's usually easiest to get the re-entry permits at the same time as you do the extension.

90-day reports are very simple - you need to report every 90 days counted from the date of entry, or from the last report.  Be careful to count correctly, there is some leeway to report early and not lose any days.  You can report in person, or by post or online - depending on your immigration office setup. Ask them when you next visit them.

Edited by jpinx

6 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A reirement visa extension or an annual  renewal can be done without an agent by a person of average inteligence, even an American.

I am not being sarcastic, as i am an American living in Bangkok, and betwen 2010 and 2013 I did 3 of them.

Why pay an agent 30K Baht for something you can handle yourself at the cost of a 200 Baht taxi fee to immigrtion?

Just neet the financial requireents, take half  a day in immigration and do it once a year.

The fact that your friend gas not yet heard anything from the Agency is like a red waening flag to me.

i hope i am wrong about that.

He prob used the agent coz he couldn't meet the 800,000b  financial requirement.

Hi guys, I am here on a retirement extension of stay which comes up for renewal in Feb 2017. I have been a very good boy and done my 90 day check in as regular as clockwork but I did not realise that if I left the country I would have to apply for n exit visa.

whilst not the same it reminds me of Saudi Arabia where the authorities take your passport no discussion and if you want to go out of the country you have to apply for an exit /re entry visa without which you will stand no chance of leaving. I am sure members can understand the relief when you finally get the "exit only" stamp there.

how much is the Exit / reentry visa and how long before travel should you apply?

cheers and apologies for showing my ignorance

1 minute ago, The Dark Lord said:

Hi guys, I am here on a retirement extension of stay which comes up for renewal in Feb 2017. I have been a very good boy and done my 90 day check in as regular as clockwork but I did not realise that if I left the country I would have to apply for n exit visa.

whilst not the same it reminds me of Saudi Arabia where the authorities take your passport no discussion and if you want to go out of the country you have to apply for an exit /re entry visa without which you will stand no chance of leaving. I am sure members can understand the relief when you finally get the "exit only" stamp there.

how much is the Exit / reentry visa and how long before travel should you apply?

no problem . can get it at immigration at the airport befor you leave . think it cost 1900thb 

30 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

There is no such thing, and it is not a VISA it is being called RE ENTRY PERMIT and it cost for single 1.000 baht and for multiple entries 3.800 baht.

Glegolo

7 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A reirement visa extension or an annual  renewal can be done without an agent by a person of average inteligence, even an American.

I am not being sarcastic, as i am an American living in Bangkok, and betwen 2010 and 2013 I did 3 of them.

Why pay an agent 30K Baht for something you can handle yourself at the cost of a 200 Baht taxi fee to immigrtion?

Just neet the financial requireents, take half  a day in immigration and do it once a year.

The fact that your friend gas not yet heard anything from the Agency is like a red waening flag to me.

i hope i am wrong about that.

If he is going the corrupt route,with money in and out in a flash,i hope you are right.No mention of doing 90 day reports.This could get exy.

7 hours ago, danadaddee said:

yes I agree,  he was thinking of combining a little getaway to the beach and also the existing visa is from here... but I think he'd be best served to handle it in bkk.

he will need a change of address form, a health certificate, and an affidavit of income, correct?

I am passing on this advice to him, thanks again.

You might as well get 30k baht off him as well.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That is not the impression I get from the officers themselves - and most spoke to wife in negatives about such people/expediters.  

well, id guess that there not the ones getting the kick backs then . lifes hard at the bottom .

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

If he is going the corrupt route,with money in and out in a flash,i hope you are right.No mention of doing 90 day reports.This could get exy.

The OP did mention in one the posts that his friend travelled quite a few times so it is possible that the travelling if done each time  before 90 days are up and his friends agent/lawyer got a multi re-entry for him at the same time as the original extension he would not need to do 90 day reports.

Basically a lot more info' is needed to clear everything on TV.

8 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

. . . whilst not the same it reminds me of Saudi Arabia where the authorities take your passport no discussion and if you want to go out of the country you have to apply for an exit /re entry visa without which you will stand no chance of leaving. I am sure members can understand the relief when you finally get the "exit only" stamp there.

DL, your post struck a chord with me. I left KSA on final exit visa via the Causeway yesterday afternoon. It wasn't very dramatic; the Saudi passport guy just stamped my passport and handed it back to me. I had to force him to take my iqama.

Anyway, that chapter of my life is over. In a few days I'll fly from Bahrain to BKK to begin the next phase. If anything, the visa and extension game looks even more confusing and hard to follow in LOS than it was in KSA. On the other hand, with annual visa costs in Saudi going up to the equivalent of 25,000 baht for the coming year, it's going to be a lot cheaper for me in Thailand.

16 hours ago, paddlinsteve said:

DL, your post struck a chord with me. I left KSA on final exit visa via the Causeway yesterday afternoon. It wasn't very dramatic; the Saudi passport guy just stamped my passport and handed it back to me. I had to force him to take my iqama.

Anyway, that chapter of my life is over. In a few days I'll fly from Bahrain to BKK to begin the next phase. If anything, the visa and extension game looks even more confusing and hard to follow in LOS than it was in KSA. On the other hand, with annual visa costs in Saudi going up to the equivalent of 25,000 baht for the coming year, it's going to be a lot cheaper for me in Thailand.

Well done, initially I liked KSA but after seven years of all the intolerance I was one happy badger leaving that dump. Did you ever hear the band "exit only" when you were there. Absolutely perfect .

LoS visa / extension of stay is child's play by comparison. Yes you do on occasion meet up with an awkward bugger but where in the world don't you?

On 12/30/2016 at 10:43 AM, glegolo said:

Yeah this seems on several points to be a strange OP,s posting.... First like you mention; no 90 day reports..... I wonder what will happen when he shows up,,, will he be thrown out of Thailand....

And secondly OP went to Laos and get a Non Immigrant O-A???? Is that really true???? is it possible to get an O-A in a country where you are NOT living??

Strange

Glegolo

I got a Non-Immigrant O visa in Vientiane, but my understanding was that the O-A could only be applied for in your own country. Perhaps I was given bad information.