First of ‘seven New Year dangerous days’ see 42 killed in road accidents

webfact

First of ‘seven New Year dangerous days’ see 42 killed in road accidents
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The first of the seven days for monitoring road accidents for New Year holidays saw 524 road accidents happen, killing 42 people and injuring 565 others.

The figures were announced at the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department by Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Sophon Mekthon in his capacity as deputy chairman of road safety centre.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30303157

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-30

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here we go again.... Roll up, roll up. Mass carnage imminent. Apart from making every driver in the country attend mandatory re-training and then re-take a real international standard driving test

( And fail those who are useless) little is ever going to stop this death toll.

42 * 365 = 15695

That's not much different from the admitted total number of deaths per year.

Why?

My idea: lot of traffic but mostly jam packed, moving slowly, close to zero chances for crazy overtaking.

"Admitted": Thailand only counts those as road fatalities who die on the spot (not rushed to hospital).

International standard seems to be that every person who dies within 30 days from the causes of the accident is counted.

That's why other statistics show about 24000 deaths per year.

20 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Here we go again.... Roll up, roll up. Mass carnage imminent. Apart from making every driver in the country attend mandatory re-training and then re-take a real international standard driving test

Retraining,I don't think many have been trained in the first place.i think they should teach the trainers first.lets face it,whatever you train a Thai don't sink in anyway.they just go back to their own way.the only way to get a Thai to do things the right way are when there's money in it for them.as for saying  to them it could save your life..we know how much a Thai loves a gamble.anyway the Darwin system works a treat out here for keeping the population steady and unemployment down.

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

It's more about enforcing the laws.  None of them are enforced.  There is no proactive enforcement except for selective periodic crackdown roadblocks.  It will be a record year.

First day of road safety campaign claims 42 deaths, 565 injuries

125_7-Days.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said today that a total of 42 people died and 565 others were injured in a single day yesterday in traffic accidents happened on roads nationwide.

It was the first day of a weeklong campaign organised by the department and other relevant state agencies aimed at lowering fatal accidents during the New Year holidays.

It said a total of 524 traffic accidents happened on December 29, resulting in 42 deaths and 565 injuries.

Most fatal accidents were caused by drink driving and speeding (29.77%).

Motorcycle is the vehicle that engaged in most fatal accidents or 83.09%.

It said most fatal traffic accidents happened on the straight sections of highways (58.21%), on secondary highways within the districts (38.17%), and within the rural roads in the villages (32.25%).

The time of highest traffic accidents are between 16.01- 20.00 hrs, and most victims are in working ages (52.88%).

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/first-day-road-safety-campaign-claims-42-deaths-565-injuries/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-12-30

Is anybody really surprised by this figure ?

The carnage remains the same, year after year, with very little pro-active policing or law.

Until the Police and Law enforcement are engaged, the wanton waste of life will continue.

Bow your heads in shame Thailand Authorities.

Went driving to day. OMG  This is what i encountered from Thai drivers

1 Speeding

2 Cars half way across the road and stopped  when doing u turn

3 No helmits on bikes

4 4 people on a bike

5 No indication when turning

6 Pulling out in front of you and not looking when coming from side parking

7 coming up wrong side of road with bikes and also cars

8 in wrong lane but still turning same corner as you therefore cutting you off

9 running red lights

10 tailgating

11 taking right away off you

Are any of these bookable offences LOL  I only went driving for an hour  Have i missed anything they do else?

I posted my prediction below on 16 December, looks like I could be well out.

Okay, any predictions for the body count over the Christmas - New Year period ? I'll start the bidding at close to 400, that's just the dead mind you, injured 2500, and I have not checked previous years stats, I couldn't be bothered.

28 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

1 Speeding

3 No helmits on bikes

4 4 people on a bike

9 running red lights

10 tailgating

Are any of these bookable offences LOL  I only went driving for an hour  Have i missed anything they do else?

Wait till it goes dark then add no rear light on scooter, no thought of dipping headlights, also no change to any of the points you noted. Stay safe everyone.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The time of highest traffic accidents are between 16.01- 20.00 hrs, and most victims are in working ages (52.88%).

Hold on. Does that mean that almost half the victims of these accidents were NOT of working age? 47.12% kids & old people? 

Edited by eeyang wah

Sadly this is almost not news anymore. Every year it's  the same predictable figures and as others have said it's surely much more in reality if you take in the unreported and death on way or in hospital. It seems it's not going to change anytime soon as the same people are in charge now for a few years already and all they've done is talk the talk as other regimes have done. We all know the answer to this carnage but god knows why they don't address it... The sooner the deal with the issues of 'face' and acccountability the better !! But again it's not happening anytime soon !!

Edited by Nigeone

1 hour ago, Happyman58 said:

1 Speeding

3 No helmits on bikes

4 4 people on a bike

9 running red lights

10 tailgating

pah round by me its de rigueur to get ALL 4  wheels  over the centre  line onto the opposite  side of the road when taking any corner, you got it  easy up there

"It said most fatal traffic accidents happened on the straight sections of highways (58.21%), on secondary highways within the districts (38.17%), and within the rural roads in the villages (32.25%). "

Who is working this out....unless I'm missing something, we have 128.63% of traffic accidents happening in various typical locations.

3000 cc, 3500 rpm with one retarded brain cell at the wheel.

35 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

"It said most fatal traffic accidents happened on the straight sections of highways (58.21%), on secondary highways within the districts (38.17%), and within the rural roads in the villages (32.25%). "

Who is working this out....unless I'm missing something, we have 128.63% of traffic accidents happening in various typical locations.

Perhaps the ambulances picking up the fatalities, are getting wrecked somewhere else on the way to the morgue, and the dead are being counted in multiple locations.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

You beat me to the punch @Catkiwi :D 

Almost fell out of my chair reading that :cheesy: The regular mathematicians with their figures at it again :burp:

6 hours ago, The man from udon said:

Retraining,I don't think many have been trained in the first place.i think they should teach the trainers first.lets face it,whatever you train a Thai don't sink in anyway.they just go back to their own way.the only way to get a Thai to do things the right way are when there's money in it for them.as for saying  to them it could save your life..we know how much a Thai loves a gamble.anyway the Darwin system works a treat out here for keeping the population steady and unemployment down.

I agree with you 100% on the training, Thais get no training at all,  just drive a car with a friend go and do a stupid test in a car park and get a license.

my thai partner was trained to drive like we  do back home in Australia by my self , took me 4 months to teach her to park and drive very good , plus I made her read the driving license book back to front and she watched YouTube on how to drive as well and she got her driving license in one go .

after she had her license she was driving my car and she tried to do something that was stupid like Thais do on the road a bad habit and I give it to her in some words you can't say on her now she is a very good driver .

i trash her to drive my car by her self now when I am not in the car and I don't do that with my car for anyone.

3 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

1 Speeding

3 No helmits on bikes

4 4 people on a bike

9 running red lights

10 tailgating

No I think not , but I did have a laugh about your day on thai roads in one hour I some times see in 30 minutes.

you did miss over talking on the wrong side of the road and making you get out of their way by  flashing their lights at you .