Retirement visa extension-Passport duration

Hello all

I would appreciate some advice if possible.

In early March, I have to apply for my yearly retirement visa extension at Pattaya immigration.

My concern is that a friend is just doing his first application for a retirement visa and read that he had to have 18 months or more remaining on his passport.

Does the 18 months apply for a retirement extension as well, as I only have 15 months remaining on my passport, your advice would be appreciated and if this was the case could I renew my passport at The British Embassy Bangkok.

Thank you.

I did my retirement extension this year in May. I had less than 12 months validity on my passport. My extension was dated till the date my passport expired. This was in Chiang Rai. I have read other comments on this forum that this is the procedure in other Immigration offices in Thailand.

1 minute ago, ripstanley said:

I did my retirement extension this year in May. I had less than 12 months validity on my passport. My extension was dated till the date my passport expired. This was in Chiang Rai. I have read other comments on this forum that this is the procedure in other Immigration offices in Thailand.

Thank you ripstanley, that's encouraging 

The 18 months is only to apply for a multiple entry visa at a embassy or consulate.

You could apply for an extension at immigration with one that is less than 12 months but it will only be issued up to the date your passports expires.

No problem to get your extension with 15 months remaining on your passport,

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 18 months is only to apply for a multiple entry visa at a embassy or consulate.

You could apply for an extension at immigration with one that is less than 12 months but it will only be issued up to the date your passports expires.

No problem to get your extension with 15 months remaining on your passport,

Thank you