Tenth successive weekend protest against South Korea's president

rooster59

Tenth successive weekend protest against South Korea's president

606x341_353714.jpg

For the tenth weekend running a large crowd turned out in Seoul on New Year’s Eve to protest against South Korea’s president, demanding her immediate resignation over a corruption scandal that has led to moves to impeach her.

The latest developments have seen an arrest warrant issued for the head of the national pension fund on charges of abuse of power and perjury.

Prosecutors are investigating possible links to businesses and foundations backed by a friend of the president.

“I wanted to join the protest at least once,” said protester Park Jong-bo. “I hope it’s an opportunity for Korea to be rational for the future generation. I hope the situation clears up fast and the President resigns quickly.”

President Park Geun-hye is accused of colluding with her friend, Choi Soon-sil, to put pressure on big businesses to make contributions to non-profit foundations backing presidential initiatives.

Her impeachment is being reviewed by the Constitutional Court, which has several months to uphold parliament’s vote backing the move – or to overturn it and reinstate the leader.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-01