Watch out! Drones flying around / monitoring Condos

siam2007

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

And there are some well publicized instances here in the USA where one guy took out his gun or shotgun and blasted his neighbor's drone that he believed was spying on his backyard and peeping at his wife and daughter

Funner 'n skeet shooting where I come from.  But alas, I'm not in Kansas Texas any more.

Edited by impulse

One of my neighbours seems to think i want to spy on his corrugated tin hut house and complained, even though I was at 80metres and google  earth had a better view than i did...................I wonder if  Streetview is also going to be banned and all personal cameras/phone cameras.

I live out in the boonies the neighbour is 400 metres away............he also complained it was  noisy...he  lives right under the nice new "village speaker system", Ive heard gnats fart louder than the drone.

Basically if anyone complains in anyway it goes against the rules.....you mustnt disturb someones peace.................but fine to have your stereo cranked right up to destruction with the base heard for +2km all round....yep no pompem at all!

5 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Not many will be bought here that expensive I'll bet

Not sure a former friend bought one like that, he said he used it for photography but one never knows. But he told me that if it cut connection it would fly back to the receiver. The software had all kinds of safeguards. I think even the cheaper ones have options like that otherwise they would be falling from the sky all the time. How else can you fly one its easy to go out of range or lose sight of one. Its amazing what those things can do. I am not into them as i don't care much about photography or even flying such a thing. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure a former friend bought one like that, he said he used it for photography but one never knows. But he told me that if it cut connection it would fly back to the receiver. The software had all kinds of safeguards. I think even the cheaper ones have options like that otherwise they would be falling from the sky all the time. How else can you fly one its easy to go out of range or lose sight of one. Its amazing what those things can do. I am not into them as i don't care much about photography or even flying such a thing. 

Will have to look into the guide nice system more. Cheers

16 hours ago, siam2007 said:

your wife which you think is in her home town when in fact she wants to find out if you spend some quality time with your suspected GIG

If you can afford a weekend getaway she could be watching you and you say your suspect GIG maybe you have given her reason to suspect. You seem like a nice harmless guy I am sure her fears are groundless. Move the drone to the next target.

Buy a Slingshot and remove this Thing from Sky.......or if its near enough,use a finemashed Fishingnet.I've done this in my Homecountry after a Drone was nerving me 2 Weeks; it works.

Edited by ujayujay

I have a drone, Ok Several drones. First, I do not fly them at night. Its against regulations, in Thailand and the USA (where I'm from), to fly at night. You are not allowed to fly near buildings or people. So the person flying it is in the wrong.

Should we also ban cars because drivers violate the laws with them as well. Should we also ban cameras because they ... could ... be used to spy on people.

Every time I hear about some seeing a small drone and they think someone is spying on them I get a laugh and annoyed at the same time. First, I have no interest in anything any you are doing in your personal life. Second, if I did there would be a lot cheaper and easier ways to do it, than using a drone.

All the consumer drones have wide angle lenses (this help see more of the subject matter closer to the camera), so you have to be fairly close to see any kind of detail (even make out a face). The cameras are designed for scenes and not individual details.

If you can barely see the drone than it can barely see you!!! It would be easier, give better detail, and more covert, to use my 1000mm lens on my camera than to use a drone. Also, drones aren't very reliable. This is why most of the more advanced ones have automatic return to home, and other fail-over features.

If someone is breaking the law with a drone then tell them. If they don't stop report them. If some one complains to me about my drone I stop and put it away. Its a new technology and not everyone knows the rules.

The other day I was flying one of my drones on Pattaya beach. It had just stopped raining so no one was on the beach. A bunch of people ,from the walking path above, started to gathered around and was interested in it. I let a young Thai kid fly it a round (while I closely supervised, keeping my hand on the controller just in case he lost control), and I also allowed an older couple to  fly it.

There are good sides to them as well and can be a lot of fun, but they (like a lot of things) can be use improperly, which gives them a bad reputation. So if someone uses a drone improperly then tell them and/or report them (I sure the Thailand cops want to make a some extra money). Just, please, don't start shooting at them. It maybe just a misunderstanding. Someone could get hurt or injured as well.

This is the opinion from an drone owner. I don't like seeing them misused. It gives all of us drone owners a bad name.

Edited by reallybigken

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

If you can afford a weekend getaway she could be watching you and you say your suspect GIG maybe you have given her reason to suspect. You seem like a nice harmless guy I am sure her fears are groundless. Move the drone to the next target.

as I said, I am free as a bird atm, so the GIG thing was just a thought and does not apply in my case. Oh, I don't like ground floor lodgings, BTW, but that's another story

SO you also know they can infect your phone and then switch on /of your cam, microphone and look in your phone as pics and so more?!

Just an interesting app for you can infect your phone and they can be with you all day !!

8 hours ago, reallybigken said:

I have a drone, Ok Several drones. First, I do not fly them at night. Its against regulations, in Thailand and the USA (where I'm from), to fly at night. You are not allowed to fly near buildings or people. So the person flying it is in the wrong.

Should we also ban cars because drivers violate the laws with them as well. Should we also ban cameras because they ... could ... be used to spy on people.

Every time I hear about some seeing a small drone and they think someone is spying on them I get a laugh and annoyed at the same time. First, I have no interest in anything any you are doing in your personal life. Second, if I did there would be a lot cheaper and easier ways to do it, than using a drone.

All the consumer drones have wide angle lenses (this help see more of the subject matter closer to the camera), so you have to be fairly close to see any kind of detail (even make out a face). The cameras are designed for scenes and not individual details.

If you can barely see the drone than it can barely see you!!! It would be easier, give better detail, and more covert, to use my 1000mm lens on my camera than to use a drone. Also, drones aren't very reliable. This is why most of the more advanced ones have automatic return to home, and other fail-over features.

If someone is breaking the law with a drone then tell them. If they don't stop report them. If some one complains to me about my drone I stop and put it away. Its a new technology and not everyone knows the rules.

The other day I was flying one of my drones on Pattaya beach. It had just stopped raining so no one was on the beach. A bunch of people ,from the walking path above, started to gathered around and was interested in it. I let a young Thai kid fly it a round (while I closely supervised, keeping my hand on the controller just in case he lost control), and I also allowed an older couple to  fly it.

There are good sides to them as well and can be a lot of fun, but they (like a lot of things) can be use improperly, which gives them a bad reputation. So if someone uses a drone improperly then tell them and/or report them (I sure the Thailand cops want to make a some extra money). Just, please, don't start shooting at them. It maybe just a misunderstanding. Someone could get hurt or injured as well.

This is the opinion from an drone owner. I don't like seeing them misused. It gives all of us drone owners a bad name.

Well on the other hand many people own guns and aren't aware of the laws. So if somebody shoots your drone down because they are ignorant that this is most likely illegal cut them some slack. Those people give gun owners a bad name.

CIA monitoring you??  In Pattaya?

Oh, OK, I got it.  You're one of those retired secret agents who prop up a barstool along Sukhumvit during the week, and chill at your Pattaya condo on weekends, away from the prying eyes of......... the CIA.

Not anymore!!!

It may not be as serious as you think.  It was dark so difficult to tell if it was a small drone quite close, or a larger drone further away.  My guess is is was some drone flying his drone from his balcony, and not nearly as melodramatic as the CIA, or Immigration Dept.

19 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

and when you miss with the sling shot , where is it going to land ?

I think an RF signal would work a lot better , I am sure there is something on google telling you what frequencies they use, 2.4 ghz  or 5.8 ghz

from jammer-store.com

I'm sure there will be 'something' on google saying what frequency drones operate on, but as a radio control flyer, and my limited knowledge of the 2.4 GHz radio technology, I don't believe that a radio operating on that band can be jammed.  I know nothing of 5.8 GHz technology, but I'd guess it would be the same.

The actual frequency the aircraft operates on is randomly selected and the frequency band is constantly scanned.  If there is conflict, the radio changes to another frequency, and any radio switched on within range can't select the same frequency as one already operating.  Gone are the days of VHF/UHF radios when anybody, accidentally switching on his radio, can jam a radio controlling a model in flight.  Those radios are still in use, and will be for years, but the 2.4 GHz technology is fast taking over.

In the 'old days', two radio control flying clubs couldn't be closer than 4 miles (I think) because flyers couldn't control/monitor what frequencies the other was using, so jamming was a real possibility.  With 2.4 GHz technology, there can be a hundred guys flying models at the same location with no risk of being jammed.  The number of frequencies which can be selected is infinite, well almost infinite, certainly thousands, possibly tens of thousands.

A person may be able to build a transmitter operating on 2.4 GHz, but I think some serious electronic skills would be required to do so, and even if that was the case, the frequency operating the drone is constantly being scanned, and changed if necessary, so I'd suggest it's (almost) impossible.

Even if it was jammed, some drones have homing and autloand safety technology that takes over in the event of loss/jamming of the frequency, or radio failure, and the model returns to the operator and lands.  A friend who has one has said his will even fly over/around obstacles when homing, like a terrain following radar does with real aircraft.

So if you want to be certain of doing a drone in, it's back to 2000+ year old technology.....the slingshot.

Edited by F4UCorsair
addition

6 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Well on the other hand many people own guns and aren't aware of the laws. So if somebody shoots your drone down because they are ignorant that this is most likely illegal cut them some slack. Those people give gun owners a bad name.

hobby drones dont "generally" kill  people though do they

No way Is one BB going to take out a drone unless a very lucky hit.   Not even a slingshot.   They are amazingly cheap and most have very advanced features.  Like a guy a few posts back.  Not easy to jam these modern radios.    And some can have a high power len's mounted in a gimbal.    Just never know what their purpose is.    But I would imagine there would be a few fun rooms to look into in a pattaya hotel facing the ocean about 2 am.   Dang sure these toys were around when I was a kid.  

27 minutes ago, asianscouser said:

Sure is. Put your hands out In front of you. Palms up, bending your fingers toward you several times in rapid fire motion whilst mouthing the words "Come on OR here boy" should suffice. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

No, that is how one entices dogs onto a 14th floor balcony.