Taking your car abroad

You will need a passport for your car, from your local land transport office, you will need to take with you your car registration book, insurance as well as your own passport. If your car is owned by a finance company you will need there permission also.

I have found the cost of this varies around 200 Baht, collect the car passport next day.

Insurance for the Country you are travelling in can usually be bought at the border, in Laos you can buy 2 weeks, but offices closed on Sundays.

Any other paper work can be done at the border crossing.

Tom

I couldn't find anywhere to buy insurance when I crossed into Cambodia. Remember they drive on the other side of the road.....and they are worse drivers than Thailand. 

I didn't ride my bike for a month there because it was just very dangerous, and combine that with no insurance.....no brainer.

Not entirely sure if it's the same as Laos.

3 x copies of your passport face page

I then copied x3 of all relevant pages in car book.

Staple together so you have 3 separate books sign everything. Take log book and car passport with said copies that's Laos. They used all 3. Cambodia may be diffrent but to be on safe side.

Insurance is easy in Laos. Have heard Cambodia is not so easy. Thais who I know who go ring there insurance here and get cover.

Cambodia is completely different from Laos. Car passport is irrelevant for Cambodia. No point in wasting your time.

You can not obtain insurance for Cambodia for any right hand drive vehicle. Also, since they are not legal anymore on the roads in Cambodia, you are at risk of a fine by police. Generally this $2, but they often try for $5. Sihanoukville is the worst. In practice, this isn't really a serious problem. At worst you might hit one or two road blocks on your trip where police might as for a donation.

You can currently only cross at Chong Chom/Osmech or Hat Lek/Koh Kong. All other border crossings will turn you away saying you need a permit from Phnom Penh. This permit does exist, but is only given to organized tours in practice. The price of this permit if you can get it is around $125.

Of these 2 border crossings, Osmech is better. At Koh Kong, they will keep the papers you received exiting Hat Lek and only return them to you when you leave. You'll need to pay them 100 baht per day to get them back. Osmech doesn't have any such restrictions.

Recommend you post your question in the Cambodia forum. You will get much better responses there.