280 killed, 2,877 injured in first four days of no drunk driving campaign

webfact

11 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

I wonder the statistics include these 25 deaths in one accident.

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/horrific-thai-road-smash-kills-25-092834799.html

The Thai press, quoting an eye-witness, says it was the minivan driver on the run from Chantaburi to Bangkok who crossed over the central reservation, the accident happening in mid-afternoon. The suspicion is the driver fell asleep.

The vehicles collided almost head-on, and the minivan's tanks were full of LPG.

The  road is a perfectly good piece of dual carriageway and should, in theory, be quite safe. Then again, nothing is fool-proof.

All 15 in the minibus perished, but apparently, 2 people from the pick-up survived, which is hard to believe if you view the photographs shown in the Thai press.

Edited by RickBradford

one thing about Thailand on this.  automotive airbags.  and there is some recent news on this the last few days that may affect the Thai auto sector... as well as folks who own vehicles with Takata airbags.  about the recall.  I posted it where it belongs... this morning... in the Job, economy forum on this forum.

not to take away at all from the grimness of this story.... I sure don't mean to.... but Bangkok ****is**** home to major manufactures of airbags and this is a big story breaking in the USA a few days ago.. a final settlement with Takata. 

Edited by maewang99

12 hours ago, Patmalone said:

I think the towns are having a competition to see who can get the highest death rate, yesterday it was Udon Thani, what town will be tomorrow, can't take any bets, it's illegal just like drink driving and speeding, the BIB has a lot to answer for.

"the BIB has a lot to answer for" really? I think they're doing what most Thai people ( and every government) want them to do. NOTHING.

This is the 15th set of New Year statistics I have viewed since moving here.  Each one grim and getting grimmer.  I know Thais are slow learners; I know Thai police merely occupy space and do nothing to justify the oxygen they steal; but really is there no end in sight?

I think not.

Any progress would require Telling People What To Do, which is generally regarded as anathema in Thailand.

Most of these minivan drivers are freelancers, i.e. they get paid by the trip, so it is hardly surprising that they drive all hours until they fall asleep.

Yes, you could order them to keep logbooks, and prosecute anyone who drives more than 50 hours a week, or who falsifies their logbook. But that would require two things that are not available:

1) Respect for the law among citizens

2) Enforcement of the law by the police

Ain't gonna happen.

" A total of 280 people were killed and 2,877 injured in road accidents nationwide in the first four days of the one week “No Drunk Driving” campaign beginning from December 29 to January 1. "

just imagine how bad it could have been if some people had ignored the No Drunk rule........