Rats in the roof?

Tapster

What I don't get, though, is the "catch and release" thing. That's either inflicting them on someone else or begging them to come back.

You try to release in the wild and away from other homes, which is likely where they came from, giving them a chance to survive rather than be there killers; and your neighbors do the same.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Morch said:

About Geckos...the larger variety don't seem to think much about sharing roof space with rats (could be just my experience), and the smaller ones (I like these), occasionally leave a tail or a limb, but not often.

Tuk gers and ginjoks live around our house and roof spaces.

They predate on mice, small rats, roaches, centipedes, mozzies. They will eat baby rats so rats will not nest where they are present.

If you want to get rid of rats then don't use glue traps as you'll trap everything.

Spent an hour once cleaning a ginjok that had fallen onto a fly paper.

12 hours ago, Morch said:

A couple of ways to go about it - place poison in the bait, rat is glued and dead. Otherwise, a bucket of water works as well. There are no "nice" deaths, but these beat chopping or squashing as in the OP's last post. I really hate rats, so less issues with killing them, as long as its not too gruesome.

Poison in the bait? That's not going to kill the animal, poison takes a few days to a week to actually work. It's also a big risk to other animals. Killing an animal isn't nice, but some deaths are more humane than others - that's why a glue trap is generally regarded as unnecessarily cruel. The OP was also kidding when he suggested those methods.

You drown, burn, behead, or whatever is necessary to the glue-trapped rodent.

I don't go out intentionally rat hunting.  But if it comes down to ridding myself of a rat infestation or having some of my food stash, cables, etc gnawed through by a rat.....I think I'll take my chances.

There has to be a balance between self preservation and trying to save every creature.

And if you think the glue trap is cruel....you should see what some cats sometimes do when they catch a rat.  I've seen my cat sometimes play for a rat for hours before finishing it off.

Humane enough for you?  It's the real world folks.

Edited by 4evermaat

1 hour ago, 4evermaat said:

I don't go out intentionally rat hunting.  But if it comes down to ridding myself of a rat infestation or having some of my food stash, cables, etc gnawed through by a rat.....I think I'll take my chances.

There has to be a balance between self preservation and trying to save every creature.

And if you think the glue trap is cruel....you should see what some cats sometimes do when they catch a rat.  I've seen my cat sometimes play for a rat for hours before finishing it off.

You are totally missing the point.

Glue traps catch everything, not just rats.

If you use catch & release rat traps and encourage other creatures that discourage rats and look after your place you won't get rats.

THAT'S the balance, not trying to rid yourself of all wildlife.

Cats catch, play with and eat mice, ginjoks, etc but that's life.

What separates us from the animals is intelligence and a certain amount of compassion.

Edited by grollies

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

You try to release in the wild and away from other homes, which is likely where they came from, giving them a chance to survive rather than be there killers; and your neighbors do the same.  

That might work in some places. Our previous apartment was in the center of Bangkok, though - not sure what would have qualified as "the wild".

10 hours ago, JamesP said:

Poison in the bait? That's not going to kill the animal, poison takes a few days to a week to actually work. It's also a big risk to other animals. Killing an animal isn't nice, but some deaths are more humane than others - that's why a glue trap is generally regarded as unnecessarily cruel. The OP was also kidding when he suggested those methods.

Few days to a week? I don't think so, not in my experience. Like I said earlier, don't care much for glue traps, was just commenting on ways to deal (or rather, avoid dealing) with a caught live rat.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

You are totally missing the point.

Glue traps catch everything, not just rats.

If you use catch & release rat traps and encourage other creatures that discourage rats and look after your place you won't get rats.

THAT'S the balance, not trying to rid yourself of all wildlife.

Cats catch, play with and eat mice, ginjoks, etc but that's life.

What separates us from the animals is intelligence and a certain amount of compassion.

Don't consider rats in my roof space as wildlife, more like vermin. My compassion doesn't extend to them. 

Also rats on the roof here and we have seven cats. Shoved the lazy buggers up on the roof and they came back with 1 (one!) Tukkae. Mission certainly not accomplished.

Will try the moth balls next.

On 06/01/2017 at 10:28 PM, 4evermaat said:

Wait, how is burning something alive on a trap even a suggestion?

You talk about balance, yet you recommend burning a trapped mammal. That heavily leans to the sadistic, sick-minded spectrum... that method of killing is certainly NOT self preservation. Definitely not something a balanced viewpoint would attest to. I'm not sure why you mentioned "saving", my issue isn't the killing, but the method. These animals feel pain, they didn't ask to be born rats so causing them excessive torture and pain is what, according to you... self preservation? No. It's you being pointlessly cruel; a brute.

There have been countless people with rodent problems who have solved the issue without burning the animal alive on the trap. The kind of people who do that sort of shit are worse than the rodents they are trying to control. Typically people who torture animals are violent to other people, or have something mentally wrong with them.

Also, that's quite the logical fallacy. Brutal things happening in the "real world" doesn't give someone license to act like a sadistic torturer. Using your logic, I'd be perfectly justified bullying you because it happens in the real world, in workplaces and schools, etc. Cruelty should be minimised and/or avoided, not deliberately inflicted. Especially when it comes to killing a live animal.

Edited by JamesP

On 07/01/2017 at 1:36 AM, Morch said:

Few days to a week? I don't think so, not in my experience. Like I said earlier, don't care much for glue traps, was just commenting on ways to deal (or rather, avoid dealing) with a caught live rat.

Unless it's something exceptionally toxic, typical rat poison takes days to a week to notice the effect. But hey, at least you're not burning little animals alive, right?

Edited by JamesP

Please let me step in here with my moderator hat on.

I'm not sure if we are breaking any forum rules by suggesting rather cruel methods of killing rodents and too lazy to look this up now.

But written rules aside, I take down my moderator hat and ask as a as a private person what is wrong with you guys that you suggest burping , drowning, or starving on a glue trap??!!

Honestly, I'm a bit appalled by this and please refrain from any further mentioning of such methods.

Thanks.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Catch and release traps dont work for me, no way to get them into the ceiling. I have been using warfarin poison from big C successfully. Is there a "humane" way of killing rats?
I find the concept of humane killing to be oxymoron-ic.

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

I've used the catch and release traps successfully, except I don't release.

Into a bucket of water, then shake out the corpse into wasteland...

being too idle to bury it?

2 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

Catch and release traps dont work for me, no way to get them into the ceiling. I have been using warfarin poison from big C successfully. Is there a "humane" way of killing rats?
I find the concept of humane killing to be oxymoron-ic.

The term "humane" is used by vets, lab techs, pet owners, hunters, etc the world over. For example, it's humane to peacefully put down a terminally ill pet that's suffering. Or to shoot a deer in the head; it would inhumane to shoot its stomach and let it bleed out. It's just basic common sense (and some humanity/dignity).

3 hours ago, raro said:

I'm not sure if we are breaking any forum rules by suggesting rather cruel methods of killing rodents and too lazy to look this up now.

But written rules aside, I take down my moderator hat and ask as a as a private person what is wrong with you guys that you suggest burping , drowning, or starving on a glue trap??!!

Honestly, I'm a bit appalled by this and please refrain from any further mentioning of such methods.

Thanks.

They are rats for crissake.

My well-being comes far, far ahead of the rats.

Wait until a few rats cause a few thousand bahts worth of damage and I assure you, you won't be so picky on how they are disposed of.

I agree that the sticky traps are bad. Long, lingering death.

Drowning them takes about a minute and a half. Relatively quick.

6 hours ago, JamesP said:

Unless it's something exceptionally toxic, typical rat poison takes days to a week to notice the effect. But hey, at least you're not burning little animals alive, right?

I don't know what you call "exceptionally toxic", think some of the stuff sold in Thailand would take a permit elsewhere. My experience, again, is that it works pretty fast (I usually check after 24 hours or so). No idea what you're on with burning, never did anything of the sort.

@raro

I appreciate that you might find discussion of rat termination methods a little distasteful and I respect that. 

However, that's a personal opinion and not something to be commented on with your moderator hat on, because that would be censorship and is a slippery slope. 

3 hours ago, raro said:

Thanks.

I don't think anything overly cruel was seriously suggested, but that could me. Seems many people differentiate between rodents in general and and rats. The latter aren't very popular, as opposed to squirrels (which essentially are rats with better fashion sense).

A question was raised as to how people go about it once a rat is trapped. If the only "acceptable" solution is to take an out of town trip, there's no way to answer that. I doubt most people do that anyway.

I chose a natural way. I put our cat up there along with a pan of water but no food. She wouldn't come out so I figured she was OK up there. For a few nights it was hard to sleep with all the noise in the ceiling. After three days and nights, she wanted out. No problems since.

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I don't think anything overly cruel was seriously suggested, but that could me. Seems many people differentiate between rodents in general and and rats. The latter aren't very popular, as opposed to squirrels (which essentially are rats with better fashion sense).

A question was raised as to how people go about it once a rat is trapped. If the only "acceptable" solution is to take an out of town trip, there's no way to answer that. I doubt most people do that anyway.

Burning something alive isn't overly cruel then?

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

They are rats for crissake.

My well-being comes far, far ahead of the rats.

Wait until a few rats cause a few thousand bahts worth of damage and I assure you, you won't be so picky on how they are disposed of.

I agree that the sticky traps are bad. Long, lingering death.

Drowning them takes about a minute and a half. Relatively quick.

The problem is that there was a suggestion advocating burning the animal alive once it's on the trap. Well-being has nothing to do with that, it's just pointless torturing of the animal.