Video: Revenge of the Thai crocs - number three!

webfact

6 hours ago, realfunster said:

I wouldn' t recommend the video if you are of a sensitive disposition.

Not sure the man will be 'okay' for a while, clearly a major arm fracture which would likely require surgery. He was lucky it wasn't ripped clean off during the roll !

The latest hospital report said from now on the trainer will be rendered armless and no further threat to the crocodile !

5 hours ago, allan michaud said:

Shame it didn't take his arm off.

I am still confused by the Kao Yai story, where did that happen? I am one of only a handful of wildlife photographers to have ever photographed these animals in the wild and am the first to have filmed them, so I am assuming this was some sort of tourist attraction, not a wild croc near a waterfall as reported. In the wild these animals will avoid us like the plague and we are not on their menu, they are incredibly shy creatures.

Apparently a woman on tour with her husband and she sat down beside the reptile. She is said to have tripped over' as she got up and that's when the crocodile snapped.

I have had dealings with crocodiles (through friends) and while some species might be more 'docile'  than others let's be clear; they are carnivore predators with the S.E. Asian Salt water species being aggressive and top of the crocodile predators. It is also the least 'social' among its kind and it dangerous to people. The Nile crocodile kills many people during the year. At its most powerful it has a bite somewhere in the region of 7 times that of shark. Other crocodiles are less powerful depending on size etc. In the wild the Siamese species is almost extinct most are in farms etc. But there has been some hybrids produced and if encountering a crocodile in the wild in Thailand it could be one of these. Hybrids have not been studied long enough to make predictions but apparently hybridization may make temperament more fickle. So don't assume docility, stay away.

11 hours ago, realfunster said:

I wouldn' t recommend the video if you are of a sensitive disposition.

Not sure the man will be 'okay' for a while, clearly a major arm fracture which would likely require surgery. He was lucky it wasn't ripped clean off during the roll !

the sound of his ARM breaking was... serene (compared to the Final Count Down I mean).

:coffee1:

20 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Apparently a woman on tour with her husband and she sat down beside the reptile. She is said to have tripped over' as she got up and that's when the crocodile snapped.

I have had dealings with crocodiles (through friends) and while some species might be more 'docile'  than others let's be clear; they are carnivore predators with the S.E. Asian Salt water species being aggressive and top of the crocodile predators. It is also the least 'social' among its kind and it dangerous to people. The Nile crocodile kills many people during the year. At its most powerful it has a bite somewhere in the region of 7 times that of shark. Other crocodiles are less powerful depending on size etc. In the wild the Siamese species is almost extinct most are in farms etc. But there has been some hybrids produced and if encountering a crocodile in the wild in Thailand it could be one of these. Hybrids have not been studied long enough to make predictions but apparently hybridization may make temperament more fickle. So don't assume docility, stay away.

Yes stay away. Time to go do my Flight of the Gibbon thing as I have that free as a bird feeling. 

A fake rubber hand-wrist prosthetic would not fool a croc. Despite their enormous power they are very sensitive in the mouth area. In more foolish days I experimented with a huge 20+ feet long croc, using a 1-litre soda glass soda bottle as an offering. I lobbed the empty bottle into the water where I knew the creature lay in wait under the surface. As the bottle hit the water the monster lunged upwards; I still have this vivid image, through the huge splash, of the bottle sticking out the side of the croc's mouth like a Marx Bros cigar. As his head descended back into the water he let the bottle slide out, undamaged.  This sort of delicacy from a monster whose head reminded me of a huge razorback pig attached to a broad nuclear submarine-like body whenever he surfaced to slide up out of his waterhole. His eyes sat about a large man's arm length apart across a huge  gnarly skull. No idea how old he must have been, but huge, cunning and quick despite his monstrous size.

10 minutes ago, sandemara said:

A fake rubber hand-wrist prosthetic would not fool a croc. Despite their enormous power they are very sensitive in the mouth area. In more foolish days I experimented with a huge 20+ feet long croc, using a 1-litre soda glass soda bottle as an offering. I lobbed the empty bottle into the water where I knew the creature lay in wait under the surface. As the bottle hit the water the monster lunged upwards; I still have this vivid image, through the huge splash, of the bottle sticking out the side of the croc's mouth like a Marx Bros cigar. As his head descended back into the water he let the bottle slide out, undamaged.  This sort of delicacy from a monster whose head reminded me of a huge razorback pig attached to a broad nuclear submarine-like body whenever he surfaced to slide up out of his waterhole. His eyes sat about a large man's arm length apart across a huge  gnarly skull. No idea how old he must have been, but huge, cunning and quick despite his monstrous size.

Lol.... the only experiment you do with a 20 foot plus croc... is to experiment as to how fast you can run!

Farcanell; Crocs can get up to speeds similar to those of a horse on land; but a man does have an edge over the first 30 metres or so on both. Trees nearby, therefore, have high value.  Also, like pigs, crocs have turning circles like a battlecruiser, so if you can guesstimate their body length you can run in just tight enough circles while you wait for the cavalry to arrive or rely on your adrenaline to point you to somewhere close high off the ground. In the water, you'll lose pretty well everytime.  My giant friend was in a croc research farm outside Port Moresby, PNG with a lagoon all to himself. Funnily enough, crocs were the terrors of the deep in PNG.  Nobody worried about sharks, apparently because they had plenty eat  otherwise. Crocs think about the future and will store left-overs.  Greener is softer and easier to handle.

26 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Farcanell; Crocs can get up to speeds similar to those of a horse on land; but a man does have an edge over the first 30 metres or so on both. Trees nearby, therefore, have high value.  Also, like pigs, crocs have turning circles like a battlecruiser, so if you can guesstimate their body length you can run in just tight enough circles while you wait for the cavalry to arrive or rely on your adrenaline to point you to somewhere close high off the ground. In the water, you'll lose pretty well everytime.  My giant friend was in a croc research farm outside Port Moresby, PNG with a lagoon all to himself. Funnily enough, crocs were the terrors of the deep in PNG.  Nobody worried about sharks, apparently because they had plenty eat  otherwise. Crocs think about the future and will store left-overs.  Greener is softer and easier to handle.

Lol... now I've got a mental picture of you running round and round in circles!

and mummy crocodile chiding it's kids for playing with their food.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:17 AM, allan michaud said:

Shame it didn't take his arm off.

I am still confused by the Kao Yai story, where did that happen? I am one of only a handful of wildlife photographers to have ever photographed these animals in the wild and am the first to have filmed them, so I am assuming this was some sort of tourist attraction, not a wild croc near a waterfall as reported. In the wild these animals will avoid us like the plague and we are not on their menu, they are incredibly shy creatures.

These creatures have been filmed in the wild for a hundred years and you were the 1st. Dream on.