Transport Minister instructs officials to tighten road safety measures until 4 January

webfact

Transport Minister instructs officials to tighten road safety measures until 4 January

tm.jpg

BANGKOK, 3 January 2017 (NNT) – The Minister of Transport has instructed officials to tighten road safety measures until 4 January 2016. 

Transport Minister Arkhom Termphitthayaphaisit said that he has instructed officials to tighten road safety measures during 2-4 January 2016 as a large number of people will be returning to Bangkok. 

He has also instructed agencies under the Ministry of Transport and relevant agencies to set up additional service points on inbound roads and place more importance on road safety operations in local areas and villages. 

He has assured the public of adequate buses available for traveling back to Bangkok.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-03

Absolutely nothing had changed in the past two years since my last post, when it comes to Thai officials beating their chests and having road safety campaigns during this time of year, while hundreds die and thousands more are maimed for life after being stuffed into vans, packed like sardines, driven by drivers popping YABA, using vehicles with no safety inspections, no seat belt enforcement, if installed at all, crazy drivers thinking Buddha will protect me as long as I wear my amulet, protect me three times more if I wear three amulets so I can go faster with no sleep on bald tires with faulty brakes and on and on, then some official says our campaign will end on Jan 4th., and declare it a huge success. There is NO accountability in the LOS Transportation Minister's office. New Year in Thailand Same Same road carnage.

1 hour ago, Bigfarang1948 said:

Absolutely nothing had changed in the past two years since my last post, when it comes to Thai officials beating their chests and having road safety campaigns during this time of year, while hundreds die and thousands more are maimed for life after being stuffed into vans, packed like sardines, driven by drivers popping YABA, using vehicles with no safety inspections, no seat belt enforcement, if installed at all, crazy drivers thinking Buddha will protect me as long as I wear my amulet, protect me three times more if I wear three amulets so I can go faster with no sleep on bald tires with faulty brakes and on and on, then some official says our campaign will end on Jan 4th., and declare it a huge success. There is NO accountability in the LOS Transportation Minister's office. New Year in Thailand Same Same road carnage.

It's a huge success because no important people died. This is not my thinking ,theirs

Edited by whatproblem

Here's an idea, how about moving those stupid flashing boards away  from the f**king middle of the road.  

The geniuses where I live stuck one smack bang in the middle of a busy intersection giving us one more obstacle to negotiate.

Edited by akirasan

I almost broke an arm falling off my seat laughing when I read Mr. Arkhom comments. What a total brain dead politician. So after the the 4th of January the rode carnage can carry on as was. They, (the Junta), have only contributed to the road horror by stopping a BBC news program on it, as I have commented elsewhere. 

Planned measures probably include:

- Reduce the number of lanes going through a checkpoint to backup traffic for kilometers as this will slow the average vehicle speed

- Put up more cardboard policemen

All well and good, but since the great majority of deaths appear on small provincial/secondary roads and are motorcycle deaths the above type measures which primarily occur on high use highways will have little affect in reducing the death toll.  A Bangkok Post article I saw yesterday reported almost 81% of the deaths so far have been motorcycle related.  Seems the crashes between vans, cars, trucks, buses get all the media attention since the media can get their quickly to take video and pictures for the evening news and newspaper.  But it's really the high death toll on the small secondary roads where the carnage is occurring....places where accidents happen and the media can't get to fast enough before the dead bodies are put in the back of the rescue truck and  blood mopped up.  

For me here in Bangkok and driving to a couple of the nearby provinces over the last week I have not seen one major accident....only a couple of minor rear-end collisions (like I see year round) because of how most drivers here always tailgate.   But from in-laws in my mother-in-laws village over the last week I have heard of two motorcycle deaths on their small roads.....the victims ran right off the road late at night (probably drunk) into some object that didn't want to move.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Transport Minister Arkhom Termphitthayaphaisit said that he has instructed officials to tighten road safety measures during 2-4 January 2016 as a large number of people will be returning to Bangkok. 

This is what happens when they roll out the same press release every year.

do these people realise what they are saying - why stop January 4th in a country that has probably the worst accident rate in the world - it's like saying that after the 4th you can continue with the carnage

4 hours ago, Bigfarang1948 said:

Yes and this man is educated and being paid a handsome salary............. for what exactly I have no idea - he is in part responsible for every accident on the roads in Thailand - I wonder does he realise this

3 hours ago, akirasan said:

Here's an idea, how about moving those stupid flashing boards away  from the f**king middle of the road.  

The geniuses where I live stuck one smack bang in the middle of a busy intersection giving us one more obstacle to negotiate.

Yes there one or two of these distractions in Chiang Mai , one is on the new bridge going into Chiang Rai, it is a bit like the hospitals and post offices , why oh why do they need these things ? Enough distractions driving without advertising popping up .

9 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK, 3 January 2017 (NNT) – The Minister of Transport has instructed officials to tighten road safety measures until 4 January 2016. 

And after January 4th?? Is he telling the BIB to get a grip on things and themselves? Stay tuned for tomorrows words of wisdom oh forget that tomorrow is January 4th things can return to normal whatever that is.