Three burnt to death as Benz explodes in Chachoengsao

webfact

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

Yes they are too smart to ruin their cars and exchange safety for some financial savings. And amazing that Thais will choose to ruin a fine European automobile. It shows you the lack of common sense and foresight among Thais, even thouse who have money. 

would bet that european car will have a jap engine in it. pretty standard for older imports.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Maybe the conversation goes something like .......

Driver... Do you smell gas ?

Passenger.. Yes I think I do,  I'll just fold the back seat down to have a look..

Its a bit dark.... lend us your lighter.

You're making jokes of Thais here, or what?

I've seen a very bright boy in wifey's village when he wanted to check his fuel of his Moped.

It was dark so he pulled out a "Faiichek" and it already happened when I shouted Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

They don't teach that at school. The guy lost some hair and might use a flashlight next time. 

But he's obviously not alone.................

4 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

You're making jokes of Thais here, or what?

I've seen a very bright boy in wifey's village when he wanted to check his fuel of his Moped.

It was dark so he pulled out a "Faiichek" and it already happened when I shouted Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

They don't teach that at school. The guy lost some hair and might use a flashlight next time. 

But he's obviously not alone.................

You think this is bad. 20+ years ago at my local gas station one night the petrol tanker driver used a lighter to look at the level remaining petrol level in the tanker. Boom

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

A troll post has been removed.

20 minutes ago, MakeAmericaGreatAgain said:

So everyone is blaming LPG?  Does that mean we take our lives for granted each time we hail a Bangkok taxi?

Just watch at the NGV fillingstations, the taxi's have to open their bonnet to reach the fillnipple for gas. 

Why would it be that a new Toyota on CNG (original on gas from Toyota) has the nipple at the backside?? The nipple has to be as far as possible away from ANY hot part and sure from sparks. Also if the nipple is at the back of the car it's much closer to the tank.

I wonder how taxi's can fill under the bonnet, i bet there is no special pipeline to the gastank, they will use the same pipe which is used for the engine to get gas out of the tank.  In that case they just made a T-joint in the gaspipe without any safetyvalves i bet...but i haven't checked it...in Europe it's illegal to have the fillingnipple under the bonnet and that's for safetyreasons.

Just now, sandrabbit said:

Maybe the safety shutoff valve failed to close for the lpg tank.

TVF members never cease to amaze.No mention of LPG.Then some speculation in the 1st post and by post 15 and 16,Thais have no common sense for using LPG and a shutoff valve failed on the mythical tank.

Just now, whatawonderfulday said:

Apart from Americans Thais are the only other bunch of morons who refer to a Mercedes Benz as a Benz !  The last "Benz" produced was in 1923 so they are either driving vintage cars or a damn good replica of which the S class is not one of them.

Back to the subject matter and if indeed this old Mercedes Benz car was converted to LPG/NGV then why be surprised that it exploded ? there is no such thing as an approved manufacturer's  conversion for this vehicle so in other words it would have been an amateurish Thai bodge, of which there are many, if indeed the explosion gets attributed to a gas conversion.

Anyone who takes a damn good car and pays to have a potential bomb installed then should be mighty pleased it blew up. well if they survived which in this case appears not to be the case.

RIP and condolences to their families. 

What bomb,your dreaming.

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Yes they are too smart to ruin their cars and exchange safety for some financial savings. And amazing that Thais will choose to ruin a fine European automobile. It shows you the lack of common sense and foresight among Thais, even thouse who have money. 

Additional wealth does not often equate with additional brain matter.

35 minutes ago, MakeAmericaGreatAgain said:

So everyone is blaming LPG?  Does that mean we take our lives for granted each time we hail a Bangkok taxi?

Not all taxis are fueled with LPG. A good number is also  fueled by NGV. I guess one could ask the driver before entering.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The article is a little confusing (what a surprise). It talks about 3 fatalities (bodies in the Benz) and then mentions 2 injured people. It does not identify the injured people. It does not say how they were injured or if they were in the Benz. The article does not mention any other vehicles. The article then talks about the identity of the bodies (unconfirmed) but points to identifying documents naming 2 people found in the Benz. 

I would have thought it would have been easier to ask the other 2 injured people who was in the Benz, if they came from the Benz.

IN addition it seems that only one of the (3?) victims ID was legible. Age listed for only one. Names for two. And no

mention of the third at all. As others have noted, judging by the incredible amount of front end damage incurred, something (or someone) is missing from the article.

Almost looks as though he's rear-ended a truck or something, then gone into the centre. Nasty! Hope it as quick for them.

Half of me says they should barrier off the central reservation and the other half says it is best that those that fall asleep have somewhere to go to kill just themselves as opposed to bouncing around in the traffic.

1 hour ago, lungnorm said:

You think this is bad. 20+ years ago at my local gas station one night the petrol tanker driver used a lighter to look at the level remaining petrol level in the tanker. Boom

The Darwin Award for 2016 goes to.....................:cheesy:

18 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Almost looks as though he's rear-ended a truck or something, then gone into the centre. Nasty! Hope it as quick for them.

Half of me says they should barrier off the central reservation and the other half says it is best that those that fall asleep have somewhere to go to kill just themselves as opposed to bouncing around in the traffic.

I don't think that burning to death is as quick as we'd wish....what a terrible way to die. RIP.

28 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Not all taxis are fueled with LPG. A good number is also  fueled by NGV. I guess one could ask the driver before entering.

AFAIK nearly 100% of the BKK-taxis (IF they run gas) are NGV-fueled (as are most of the Toyota-Commuter-Vans upcountry). You can see that out as there are only a few NGV-Stations in BKK and there are always long queues - daytime and nighttime. Some of the taxi-guys wait for an hour before they are filled up. It they had LPG-Cars they could get their gas nearly everywhere without waiting.

51 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

TVF members never cease to amaze.No mention of LPG.Then some speculation in the 1st post and by post 15 and 16,Thais have no common sense for using LPG and a shutoff valve failed on the mythical tank.

A gasoline driven car also has fuelhoses which have to be replaced every x years...if they have cracks from drying out they have to be replaced asap. My neighbour came home with his just bought used car which was dripping fuel....the hose was so bad we even couldn't close it by squeezing it, it fell in pieces appart.

There are many more parts on an engine which can catch fire, good maintenance prevents that. For that you need an educated qualified engineer who doesn't speak the maipenlai-language or won't accept cash in hand to shut up.

This year we had the police checking the safety of cars...strange cause i guess they don't have any education to do that.....And i bet they even don't dare to tell a Benz-driver that his car is unsafe...after all it's a Benz.

14 minutes ago, jackinthebox said:

AFAIK nearly 100% of the BKK-taxis (IF they run gas) are NGV-fueled (as are most of the Toyota-Commuter-Vans upcountry). You can see that out as there are only a few NGV-Stations in BKK and there are always long queues - daytime and nighttime. Some of the taxi-guys wait for an hour before they are filled up. It they had LPG-Cars they could get their gas nearly everywhere without waiting.

I also drive CNG and all the taxi's have to open the bonnet to tank gas....and all dealerbuilt CNG cars have the inlet at the backside where it should be.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

Just watch at the NGV fillingstations, the taxi's have to open their bonnet to reach the fillnipple for gas. 

Why would it be that a new Toyota on CNG (original on gas from Toyota) has the nipple at the backside?? The nipple has to be as far as possible away from ANY hot part and sure from sparks. Also if the nipple is at the back of the car it's much closer to the tank.

I wonder how taxi's can fill under the bonnet, i bet there is no special pipeline to the gastank, they will use the same pipe which is used for the engine to get gas out of the tank.  In that case they just made a T-joint in the gaspipe without any safetyvalves i bet...but i haven't checked it...in Europe it's illegal to have the fillingnipple under the bonnet and that's for safetyreasons.

A difficult question, indeed. The place where the nipples should be were and will always be a topic that's raising plenty of questions. I guess you're talking about a Toyota van and they've got their engines in front. There aren't too many hot parts in the back of a van.

You can't compare the security laws regarding a vehicle running on gas to the European laws. 

The technicians here aren't well educated and many of them shouldn't be mechanics.

When you see a mechanic holding a wire against the chassis to see if there's electricity, working at a car that runs on gas, you'll understand my point.

The problems here are mostly education-related. 

How many more people have to burn to death until they change a couple of things here? 

Edited by lostinisaan

4 hours ago, barryofthailand said:

All these cars and trucks that catch fire are powered by LPG. They should ban LPG in Thailand and let them use NGV which will not explode or catch fire when involed in an accident

A year or two back, I was visiting Guangzhou, China, and noticed that the air was a lot clearer than it had been on my last visit.

Turns out that diesel engines are not permitted, and everything from buses to pickups (utes) are NGV powered.

In addition to this, the thousands of motorbikes buzzing around the city are all electric.

Just now, lostinisaan said:

A difficult question, indeed. The place where the nipples should be were and will always be a topic that's raising plenty of questions. I guess you're talking about a Toyota van and they've got their engines in front. There aren't too many hot parts in the back of a van.

You can't compare the security laws regarding a vehicle running on gas to the European laws. 

The technicians here aren't well educated and many of them shouldn't be mechanics.

When you see a mechanic holding a wire against the chassis working at a car that runs on gas, you'll understand my point. The problems here are mostly education-related. 

It's very common to hold a wire to the chassis because that's the ground of a car...Also the electric valves get their ground from the chassis.

But the nipples (inlet) for gas should be as far as possible away from the exhaust, especially close to the engine and that's where taxi's have their nipple.

Also there are many rules (in europe) for the inlethose....it's a rubber hose which has to have the date of manufacturing printed on it and can't be older than 3? years before first use...the inletnipple has to be covered in a rubbersleeve which has a whole to the outside of the car incase the hose is leaking at the nipple....The electric valves have to close automatic within 3 seconds if the engine is not running. and so on, i know all the rules cause i built many cars on LPG and let the governmental agency check it officially or i was not allowed to use it.

But i agree in Thailand they just do something, safe or not who cares. On the technical schools they learn how to use a machete...while driving a motocy.....

4 hours ago, Woodsie888 said:

I think you'll find Princess Diana was in a W140 S Class. The car in the OP is a W220

Thanks for putting people straight on that. All too often there are those who are too quick to mouth off with misinformation, maybe unintentionally, but never the less. 

Bangers older than 5 years should not be allowed on the Thai roads time the soldier boys spring into action so that only new and safe cars allowed on the roads would do away with the brake failure excuse for hundreds of deaths each year, and any cars over 3 years should be strictly tested and certified by a competent garage who would be held liable for the roadworthiness of a tested and approved vehicle and open to a legal claim if involved in an accident caused by vehicle failure rather than driver error / stupidity .  

4 minutes ago, masuk said:

A year or two back, I was visiting Guangzhou, China, and noticed that the air was a lot clearer than it had been on my last visit.

Turns out that diesel engines are not permitted, and everything from buses to pickups (utes) are NGV powered.

In addition to this, the thousands of motorbikes buzzing around the city are all electric.

Thailand also did something similar...the tuktuk's drive lpg now...but motobikes can still have old 2stroke engines which are the worst for pollution.

It's time we get the new buses but nobody knows where they are now and the deadline has passed. Shame that the General doesn't inform the Bangkokians about it.

Electric motobikes would be nice but it will never happen i guess...There is even no police in BKK, i mean working police...they are on inactive posts. 380 people died during new year on the thai roads...and the police sit in tents watching laptops.

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

It's very common to hold a wire to the chassis because that's the ground of a car...Also the electric valves get their ground from the chassis.

But the nipples (inlet) for gas should be as far as possible away from the exhaust, especially close to the engine and that's where taxi's have their nipple.

Also there are many rules (in europe) for the inlethose....it's a rubber hose which has to have the date of manufacturing printed on it and can't be older than 3? years before first use...the inletnipple has to be covered in a rubbersleeve which has a whole to the outside of the car incase the hose is leaking at the nipple....The electric valves have to close automatic within 3 seconds if the engine is not running. and so on, i know all the rules cause i built many cars on LPG and let the governmental agency check it officially or i was not allowed to use it.

But i agree in Thailand they just do something, safe or not who cares. On the technical schools they learn how to use a machete...while driving a motocy.....

That's pretty much the same checking your gasoline tank with a lighter. A "normal mechanic" ( very difficult to use the word here) would use a voltmeter or just a little tester, (see image).

30 = + plus goes to the starter and fusebox, while 31= - minus is directly attached to the chassis/ frame. But you don't hold a hot wire on ground to see if there's power on it, which is, unfortunately very common here. 

All electric items get their minus from the chassis, only one type of car, a British car was different and the chassis was plus.

Sorry, just saw that many cars had the plus on the chassis until 1954. not just the one British car I've seen many moons ago.

It's a sin to hold a wire against minus to see if there's a spark, especially when this car's running on gas. A little leak could do the trick. 

Voltage tester from 6 to 24 volt.jpg

Edited by lostinisaan