where to buy non GMO seeds in Thailand?

deepcell

Where can I order online or by phone non GMO seeds here in Thailand?

My last order from US never arrived here, most non GMO seed company in US they have a policy "WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THE ARRIVAL OF SEEDS SHIPPED OUT OF THE US! WE CANNOT REFUND FOR SEEDS THAT ARE LOST IN INTERNATIONAL MAIL. THE BUYER ASSUMES A RISK WHEN ORDERING SEEDS FOR INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENT."

With no option left, my hope is to find a non GMO seed company here in Thailand. I'm not buying in bulk, then it is a retail order only, it is for a project in our land and is not for commercial purposes.

I found two companies called `Chia Tai` and `Lion Seeds`, does someone know the reputation of their seeds?

Thanks folks!

Hello All, what verity of of fruit/veg/grain were you trying to buy?

There are only a dozen or so crops that have been GM'ed.

After the Papaya GMO tests was canceled I thought that the Gov.

called a halt to ALL field trials, does anybody have different info?

It might be easier to give a location your in and what verity of seed

your looking for to get help finding seed.

I use CT, East-West, Whale Brand, Known You Seed Co.(Hyb. melons

and Red Lady papaya) and Lion.

If you want good quality OP and Hyb. seed from the US, try D.B. Burrells

in CO. D/L their pdf catalog. They do send here, but you can also loose

your package! I ask for the packing slip to read "garden Supplies" and

have sent by USPS Priority Mail.

rice555 

Hi, Thanks for all info.

I'm looking for Open Pollinated seeds, but I think the right term is Heirloon Seeds as @farmerjo stated.

@rice555 I'm located about 50km west of Nakhon Sawan City and I'm looking mainly for baby/mini corn, dragon fruit and other varieties  seeds, we're going to start a small permaculture project, we have a plot with 2 rai in size to plant. I want chilies and bell perppers(green, red and yellow), papayas, bananas and adding one by one only in case if it succeed in the land, we also have another plot of 3 rai in size that we are using for forest food (wild varieties, herbs, native trees, lots of fungus and bamboo there growing crazy!) and a small pond (our source for watering plants).

I appreciate your references, I will try  to place a small order this time with D.B. Burrells, I'm not going to lose 150USD again. Thanks for the tip.

I do not want to start with GM or bad quality Hybrid seeds (yes I bought passion fruit seeds last year and not a single one germinated), because I have interest also in collect my own seeds along the time, then if the very first seed source is good, our seeds will also be good.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a problem, I do not trust at all companies like Monsanto-Bayer, DuPont, Syngenta, Sakata and all of its subsidiaries. Then my option is to buy from small companies or private or a friend.. Heirloom seeds (OP) is the way to go. I will try to buy everything inside Thailand as far as I can find what I'm looking for and avoid the hassle to get things confiscated at the customs.

Thanks for the link (amazing stuff), I do like Aquaponics and at some point I will introduce it in my little project.

Nice to hear you are also into permaculture. I have to agree it is a challenge to do things in Thailand not only in permaculture, but at all. I try to keep the negative aspect of it by side and not care much what people around are saying about or trying to push you into.. If I don't agree, I don't do.

I do know a few Khon Thai that apply the concept of permaculture in their lands, one man, a wise man, he is an ex-monk at the age of 80's something, and he still farming, but in small scale of course, every time I pass in front of his property, it is stunning with fruit trees, flowers, vegetables, chickens, ducks and so many things, it is all organic, cause I know the man (sister in law rented a house beside from He).. all the fields (paddy rice, poor soil and jungle grass) around him is dirty crap! Some people still believe permaculture is a myth and not work in Thailand. I could agree that is most case permaculture is not `profitable` for farms, but this is not the goal of permaculture.

Not all OP seed are heirlooms. Some people go by the date the seed was introduced.

Like the OP indigo toms I grow, from TGS in FL and the great line fro Wild Boar Farms

in Calif. like their Pink Berkley Tie Dye, they don't make it by the date they were introed.

You can also get organic Hyb' seed.

rice555 

5 hours ago, Paruk said:

Well, lots of people around here are looking a bit bewildered to our activities. Last week we had 4 truck loads of branches delivered which we are going to chip into mulch. "Why are you chopping it up? You can make charcoal of it!". The value of leaves goes way over their head. Regularly we are both moving bent over on our land to pick up goose droppings for the compost heaps. Some ask "What are you doing?" Answer "Collecting shit". They move on quickly.

Permaculture is a strange exercise but very natural. I like it.

Most people here do not understand and refuse to know more about.. well that's life, nobody can change it, except yourself. Permaculture just mimic nature, that is why it is so strange. ;D

12 hours ago, rice555 said:

Not all OP seed are heirlooms. Some people go by the date the seed was introduced.

Like the OP indigo toms I grow, from TGS in FL and the great line fro Wild Boar Farms

in Calif. like their Pink Berkley Tie Dye, they don't make it by the date they were introed.

You can also get organic Hyb' seed.

rice555 

Thanks for that info, I will consider it when buying next time, I was unaware about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, as I stated in this thread I'm looking for some OP (Herloom) seed varieties, after I contacted some seed suppliers in Thailand I realize that nobody seems to have `Stevia Rebaudiana` (Scientific name) วิธีปลูกหญ้าหวาน (Thai name), some suppliers do not even know what it is!

Does anyone know where could I find it? Seed is better than seedlings in my case.

Regards,

9 hours ago, deepcell said:

Hello again, as I stated in this thread I'm looking for some OP (Herloom) seed varieties, after I contacted some seed suppliers in Thailand I realize that nobody seems to have `Stevia Rebaudiana` (Scientific name) วิธีปลูกหญ้าหวาน (Thai name), some suppliers do not even know what it is!

Does anyone know where could I find it? Seed is better than seedlings in my case.

Regards,

I'm afraid I can't tell you where you can get these seeds in Thailand, but there is a UK based site www.plant-world-seeds.com

which stocks Stevia Rebaudiana (

http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/5303?actionName=search_for_item&itemname=STEVIA+REBAUDIANA&search_string=Stevia+Rebaudiana)

I've purchased from them twice in the past 6 months and I haven't had a problem yet. 

Yes, I know 2 times isn't a lot to base an opinion on, but the seeds are top notch! 

Try them. 

On 31/01/2017 at 1:19 AM, djayz said:

I'm afraid I can't tell you where you can get these seeds in Thailand, but there is a UK based site www.plant-world-seeds.com

which stocks Stevia Rebaudiana (

http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/store/view_seed_item/5303?actionName=search_for_item&itemname=STEVIA+REBAUDIANA&search_string=Stevia+Rebaudiana)

I've purchased from them twice in the past 6 months and I haven't had a problem yet. 

Yes, I know 2 times isn't a lot to base an opinion on, but the seeds are top notch! 

Try them. 

Well, thanks for your reply, I added "plant-world-seeds" website to my list of suppliers, but I will try a little bit more find Stevia in Thailand.

Nice to know you placed orders with this company, I will try them if I can't find here.

Did you buy Stevia from them? How is the germinate rate? Their website says it is between 2 and 6 weeks, but I think that information is generic.

Regards,

7 hours ago, deepcell said:

Well, thanks for your reply, I added "plant-world-seeds" website to my list of suppliers, but I will try a little bit more find Stevia in Thailand.

Nice to know you placed orders with this company, I will try them if I can't find here.

Did you buy Stevia from them? How is the germinate rate? Their website says it is between 2 and 6 weeks, but I think that information is generic.

Regards,

I dodn't buy Stevia from them. I'm more interested in tomatoes, lettuce and peas. 

Germination rate fir above mentioned plants in the very high 90s (95% or more).

On 01/02/2017 at 6:29 PM, djayz said:

I dodn't buy Stevia from them. I'm more interested in tomatoes, lettuce and peas. 

Germination rate fir above mentioned plants in the very high 90s (95% or more).

Very good germination rate. Thanks.

On 03/02/2017 at 3:32 PM, Paruk said:

You know that growing Stevia is becoming very popular in Thailand? BTW, if that one doesn't work out for you we have another one, too.

No, I did not know. Our interest is only planting a small plot with it, for our consumption only, but if it goes well, then why not try a bit more. please feel free to provide more resources to us. I appreciate that.

By the way, tried to reach the number in that blog without success, wife will try again this week.

Regards,

On 06/02/2017 at 2:33 PM, Paruk said:

Just called the number, she picked up (her name is Pook according to my wife) and told us that she has 5 packs left, each with about 40-50 seeds for Baht 50/per pack. EMS Baht 30/per pack. If you buy them all, transport would probably be cheaper per pack. Check her ID card before you pay, we had already a bad experience with seeds with somebody else. Don't forget to send me 1 pack for the help! ;-)

Wife called Mrs. Puk, she still have seeds available, we are just looking for more options and price, maybe we going to plant one Rai of Stevia (making the calculations if it worth the time work).

And yes, I will send to you a pack, just PM your address. ;D

Thanks!

Archived