Sacrifices!

markr

Hi all!

Just interested to know what things (careers etc) you have given up to make a life with that special someone you met in another country?

It could be that both of you had a very good job or maybe strong ties to your own countries and found it hard to decide which one of you was going to give it all up for the sake of love!

Obviously many thai gf's/bf's want to come and live in other countries such as the uk/australia etc..

Maybe yours didn't? Mine doesn't and wants me to up sticks and live in thailand with her, sounds great but there are so many things I love about my country and i would find it very hard to give them up but of course i want to be with her.

Just very interested to hear your stories.

Thanks folks,

mark :o

I gave up my career in one of the largest banks in the world to live together with my partner. It was a truely scary and defining moment. We just celebrated our 21st anniversary last week. I do not regret my choice for one single second. These sorts of decisions do tend to concentrate the mind.

I haven't given up anything. I planned to live and enjoy living in SE Asia. I have not interest or reason to return to the "Mother country". If you are in a relationship where you have to give someting up that is dear to your heart , I would reconsider the relationship.

I haven't given up anything. I planned to live and enjoy living in SE Asia. I have not interest or reason to return to the "Mother country". If you are in a relationship where you have to give someting up that is dear to your heart , I would reconsider the relationship.

So this is where the

I have never seen such a bunch of mercenary conniving women, along with their greedy families.
stuff is coming from :o

Just trying to decide who is more greedy...

Edited by alexth

There is an element of truth there. Yeah, I sold the car, house, left a 20-year respected job as a manager in a good company where I made over 10 times my current salary, left friends, relatives, many securities I enjoyed in the west, etc.

But, I've never thought of them as "giving up" compared to the wonderful complement I've found here. Not only the partner, but the wonderful new friendships of warm Thai people. It's like I've come home!

And the other "stuff" just seems to pale into distant memory (with the exception of family with which it's easy to stay in contact with the communications technology available).

So this is where the

I have never seen such a bunch of mercenary conniving women, along with their greedy families.

Got to have a good laugh at that.. :D

So this is where the

The OP's question was did I GIVE ANYTHING UP coming here. The answer to that is NO. I did GAIN mercernary and conniving women. That does not mean they did not exist in my home country, but perhaps not in such obvious ways. In general, I enjoy living here. I do not like the mindset of Farangs being viewed as ATM's, etc, etc. If you have a different experience here, good luck to you.

So this is where the

Maybe you should look in the mirror, if you want a good laugh. Just because I have seen greedy and mercenary people here does not mean I have "stood and delivered" at every request. I am not among the chumps that have bought houses, cars, big gold, etc, etc. So, I presume you such a desirable catch that you have paid the lovelys nothing? Just your handsome looks and charm is probably enough.

So this is where the

Maybe you should look in the mirror, if you want a good laugh. Just because I have seen greedy and mercenary people here does not mean I have "stood and delivered" at every request. I am not among the chumps that have bought houses, cars, big gold, etc, etc. So, I presume you such a desirable catch that you have paid the lovelys nothing? Just your handsome looks and charm is probably enough.

Somebody's been talking about me eh? Fame is a hard thing to live with. :D

Anyhow I don't have to look in the mirror 'cos if I want a good laugh I tune in to Thai Visa and watch people spit their dummies out... :D:D:D:D:D

So this is where the

What if it was just good looks and charm? Ever thought about it or they don't appreciate this in Nana or Cowboy?

The OP's question was did I GIVE ANYTHING UP coming here. The answer to that is NO. I did GAIN mercernary and conniving women. That does not mean they did not exist in my home country, but perhaps not in such obvious ways. In general, I enjoy living here. I do not like the mindset of Farangs being viewed as ATM's, etc, etc. If you have a different experience here, good luck to you.

Were you a lawyer back home or some kind of negotiator? Because you sure sound like one...:D

There is an element of truth there. Yeah, I sold the car, house, left a 20-year respected job as a manager in a good company where I made over 10 times my current salary, left friends, relatives, many securities I enjoyed in the west, etc.

But, I've never thought of them as "giving up" compared to the wonderful complement I've found here. Not only the partner, but the wonderful new friendships of warm Thai people. It's like I've come home!

And the other "stuff" just seems to pale into distant memory (with the exception of family with which it's easy to stay in contact with the communications technology available).

Im so hoping one day I can be typing exactly the same as this I really do toptuan. Where did you leave behind do you mind me asking? and did you already have your partner before you made the jump?

Edited by glenbat

i remember talking to a friend about this a few years ago.i felt i had lost some of my freedom as i couldnt travel as much or as often as i used to.he felt he had given up his dignity(voluntarily) as he was living with a girl who sold her body for cash.he knew she was a whore but he loved her.but it did have an effect on his self respect.although he was happy initially(he was getting plenty!)he knew that it was about money. they are no longer together ,shame because i quite liked her ,she was good company.

Im so hoping one day I can be typing exactly the same as this I really do toptuan. Where did you leave behind do you mind me asking? and did you already have your partner before you made the jump?

Good luck to you! I'll PM you with the specifics.

Black Duck... you as bad a that wascly wabbit doing the rounds on here....

For those who caught on to the polygamy thing... I took it up again with a vengeance after she and I broke up. :o

Its you wabbits causing the wuckus,, multiplcation seems to be your thing !!!

So She got the "Gold Mine" you got the "Shaft" yet again.:D:D:D.