Prayut rejects elections campaigns in current environment, leaving door open to delay

webfact

Prayut rejects elections campaigns in current environment, leaving door open to delay
By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION

p.jpg

Prayut

BANGKOK: -- WHILE NOT ruling out a postponement of the general election until next year, after a member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) raised doubts about the issue, Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said yesterday the current atmosphere was not suitable for election campaigns.

“As you know, campaigns can be frustrating, so when should they really be held? If campaigning starts today, they [politicians] will only be scolding each other,” the premier said after a Cabinet meeting. “Everybody first has to understand the steps provided under the [junta’s] road map.” 

The charter, organic laws and procedures on preparing for elections must first be put in place before candidates are selected and conducting campaigns, he said. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303446

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-05

It's not often I agree with Prayut, be on this occasion I too see no point in allowing election campaigning until an election date has been firmly established, and the laws and procedures on preparing for elections are in place.

That said, he lost my support with his other megalomaniacal quips, “...Go and find out who is able to take over after me. Whoever takes over will have to address these issues like I have been doing. He will also have to answer to me...”  !!!

Roadmap Is their roadman not the Thai public road map

Its what they say they want not what is democracy. Is a wonder that countries like Canada or the UK can call a general election and the

voting happens within 3 to 4 months

What preparation is necessary  This is supposed to be a democracy

They want rules to lean to the current government There will not be an election

this year BET ON IT  

Dang, if election were held I just bet those politicians might dare to talk about issues that may be important in citizens lives. Can't have that.... perhaps PM thinks elections should look like some sort of Amway rally, all hugs, kisses, and positive messages only.

I suggest elections use format of Thailand's Got Talent.... candidates do song and dance, get comments from Junta judges, have people phone in votes. In post truth, post fact world, why not?

2 hours ago, waldroj said:

It's not often I agree with Prayut, be on this occasion I too see no point in allowing election campaigning until an election date has been firmly established, and the laws and procedures on preparing for elections are in place.

That said, he lost my support with his other megalomaniacal quips, “...Go and find out who is able to take over after me. Whoever takes over will have to address these issues like I have been doing. He will also have to answer to me...”  !!!

I don't see the point in having elections at all as all it does is put a veneer of credibility on a system that's completely stacked in the favour of the good old boys.

With new regulations the fighting should be  .

Pt. You first 

Dems. No you first. 

Pt. Let us be gentlemanly, you first. 

Pt really will be doing themselves a favour if they let the Dems or the smaller parties experience the new rules and test the waters. 

Such as following the 20 year orders. 

Avoiding the death penalty, but finding a way to get the cash anyway. 

Being under scrutiny by the appointed senate. 

It's going to be a shaky road for any pm for quite some years. 

Not a good career choice in my opinion .

There will be no election until such time the dear great leader are certain that they will remain in power. They will create situations like the 2013/14 attacks to justify the canceling of the election. They will implement the single gateway to ring fence activists and control social media. They will ban any legitimate opposition. They will form their own party to push their PM candidate.

Well the junta does not have a front man for their act, not a shill, not a proxy.  None Event is as close as it gets for the boys in uniform.  The Shins can probably still dig up a relative somewhere to win the election.  There are no personalities that will win one for the jowly self appointed leader.

The problem with having an election is that the topic of democracy might come up and that is the last thing El General wants.

>

That Donny Osmond song is back in my head again - 'until the 12th of never' Would the junta lovers like to sing along?

He is desperately clinging to power. I believe that they realize they no longer have the moral authority bestowed upon them by the great man, who is now gone. So, this may be their last and final coup. Period. Ever. Unless it is without the people's consent and approval, which would result in a real mess. So, he is clinging. He is a small man, who has no moral bearing, and does not care one iota for his people, or his country. 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

He is desperately clinging to power. I believe that they realize they no longer have the moral authority bestowed upon them by the great man, who is now gone. So, this may be their last and final coup. Period. Ever. Unless it is without the people's consent and approval, which would result in a real mess. So, he is clinging. He is a small man, who has no moral bearing, and does not care one iota for his people, or his country. 

I think he probably does, but entirely on his own terms. He wants the 'real' Thailand back, where the smart and pretty people get on in life and the proles smile, kiss a$$ and suffer in silence the way they are supposed to.

Real Thais want patriotic songs and frightfully important figures in spiffy uniforms to admire, you see, not ideas above their station encouraged by that blasted FaceTube thing on the interweb...