Anyone with experience ordering from Ali Baba shipping to Thailand

tlock

As per the title, does anyone have any experience ordering from alibaba.com and shipping to Thailand?  Can you comment on the experience?

For my particular use case, I'm interested in building a high quality home gym.  I've been unable to find quality bumper plates for olympic lifting at any of the sources in Thailand.  China seems to have some pretty solid options for bumper plates, there are plenty of options on alibaba.com.  As alibaba is meant to be a source for small businesses, it's not an easy click to order process.  However, I am considering placing an order for bumper plates from alibaba and seeing if I can find other folks interested in sharing the stock.  Since I'm not a small business owner, I don't know how to navigate the process of a bulk order like that coming through customs, or how to manage a secure transaction through Alibaba.  Any help is appreciated.

It is far easier to use Aliexpress, same company but meant for more of the retail trade . Excellent ordering system and I have had no problem with my shipments. However, note that most of my buys are small purchases (US$5-100) and small packages eg. electronic parts, swimsuits. Must have been more than 20 such in the past year, no problems because they are all air packages, mostly China Post. Payment by my Thai bank shopping card (Visa). You have a very different package weight size so probably different shipping. Give it a look at Aliexpress.com, very simple signing up and searching for the weights.

What they said...^

I got hit for import duties on 2 of 30 orders, both worth over $500 each (less $$ than I expected to pay), but the other 28 orders came in with no additional charges.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, tlock said:

thanks for the helpful replies.  I'll keep aliexpress in mind for future purchases.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find Olympic weights on aliexpress, only on alibaba.  

Is this what you're looking for?

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170105063320&SearchText=weights+olympic

smile.gif

46 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

If did that search but if you browse those results none of them are actually *weights*,  it's just collars and accessories.  I'm looking for something like these:

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=olympic+weights

:smile:

On Thursday, January 05, 2017 at 10:22 PM, tlock said:

If did that search but if you browse those results none of them are actually *weights*,  it's just collars and accessories.  I'm looking for something like these:

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=olympic+weights

Ah, OK. Can't think why AliExpress don't stock them - it can't be that the weight is the problem as Alibaba ship overseas.

I just now ordered something else from AliExpress, so that makes 25 things I've ordered in total.  smile.gif

On 2017-01-05 at 10:22 PM, tlock said:

You might want to check out Lazada. They were acquired by Alibaba last year and share a lot of the products. I recall seeing olympic bars in their assortment a while ago.

23 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

You might want to check out Lazada. They were acquired by Alibaba last year and share a lot of the products. I recall seeing olympic bars in their assortment a while ago.

Lazada is useful; no delivery charges (with restrictions, for some districts). Several payment options, including COD. Also had no trouble returning an item; they picked it up promptly, without a charge.

Alibaba is geared to wholesale purchases of quantity although many suppliers will allow samples or 1-off purchases.  It is older than Alibaba and their online shop is a little dated now.

AliExpress is newer and for the likes of the end consumer.  The purchase process seems easier through Aliexpress.

'I have purchased a number of times from both and had no problems with either although their English can be troublesome.  

As of yet I have not had to pay duty on anything either.  Some say the Thai Customs authorities favor Chinese suppliers.

Standard deliveries to Thailand are normally 3-4 weeks although I have had faster shipping and you can pay for more expensive faster shipping should you wish.

Ah, OK. Can't think why AliExpress don't stock them - it can't be that the weight is the problem as Alibaba ship overseas.
I just now ordered something else from AliExpress, so that makes 25 things I've ordered in total.  smile.gif

How can weight not be a problem? Quite often the shipping is twice the price of the item
Alababa is bulk buying usually min 100 items

On 1/5/2017 at 10:22 PM, tlock said:

Alibaba usually has large minimum orders.  You need 2000 kilos of weights??

Lazada are a Thai online shopping company, often get their stuff from China but cuts out any problems with customs. Lazada guarentee no shipping problems.

I've had nightmares using aliexpress and carrier companies so if you use them insist on them sending it via China post... never had a problem.

Link to Lazada weight lifting equipment below :-

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-exercise-fitness/?q=weight lifting&searchclickposition=cat2

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, tlock said:

thanks for the helpful replies.  I'll keep aliexpress in mind for future purchases.  Unfortunately I can't seem to find Olympic weights on aliexpress, only on alibaba.  

I have ordered a few items from them, most with good success...except for a motherboard that somehow got shipped to Brazil, but even then they are good about refunding for problems.

I have looked at a few heavy items such as treadmills, and have found the shipping to be very costly. I think you would find the same for weight sets.

Yes I order from them and have items delivered to home without issue. Delivery time is rather long at 3 weeks or so. I only order small items myself and am selective as a high percentage of the stuff is poorly made cheap junk,

One or two items have failed to arrive although tracked to Thailand then vanished.

Edited by jacko45k

15 hours ago, Carlosm said:

Lazada are a Thai online shopping company, often get their stuff from China but cuts out any problems with customs. Lazada guarentee no shipping problems.

I've had nightmares using aliexpress and carrier companies so if you use them insist on them sending it via China post... never had a problem.

Link to Lazada weight lifting equipment below :-

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-exercise-fitness/?q=weight lifting&searchclickposition=cat2

I agree, avoid the hassle on alibaba. Alibaba is a bit different from aliexpress. I say sellers on Alibaba are more not trustworth compare to those on Aliexpress. But I would recommend avoiding ordering heavy and stuff that cost over $100, you will be sure be hit with tax, and you wouldn't even know the quality of the stuff you are ordering.

Also on Alibaba, most have minimum order quantity and you have to take care of shipping. I've used Alibaba before, its mostly to connect business to factories, not consumer to factories.

Not sure if the links below help

http://www.forceclub.com/

http://www.gymware.com/index.php

http://xercore.com/

Yes and you should be very careful. Alibaba do very little if you are the subject of fraud, deception or mis-selling by them or their advertisers. You can find yourself, literally thousands of dollars out of pocket and being charged with illegal importing of undeclared goods by Thai Customs, as I was with water filtration equipment. I have complained but Alibaba simply don't care and simply walk away. Please take this warning as being deadly serious.

On 1/10/2017 at 1:09 PM, luap81 said:

Yes and you should be very careful. Alibaba do very little if you are the subject of fraud, deception or mis-selling by them or their advertisers. You can find yourself, literally thousands of dollars out of pocket and being charged with illegal importing of undeclared goods by Thai Customs, as I was with water filtration equipment. I have complained but Alibaba simply don't care and simply walk away. Please take this warning as being deadly serious.

What about paying with Paypal ?

Problem solved !

On 1/8/2017 at 3:17 PM, zorro1 said:

How can weight not be a problem? Quite often the shipping is twice the price of the item
Alababa is bulk buying usually min 100 items

I wanted to buy coarse ground pepper instead of the readily  available power found in Thailand.

The smallest order quantity I could find on Alibaba was 15 tons.