Selling a condo in Thailand from OS.

Where is your condo?  Procedures may vary in different Land Offices.

I recently sold a condo in Pattaya and asked my realtor about giving them power of attorney to represent me at the Land Office, but they said the Pattaya Land Office now requires sellers to be there in person.  Buyers can be represented via POA, but not sellers.

PS:  Why on earth not type your question in to the forum post?  It's kind of a PITA to download a MSWord document just to see your post, and you are probably deterring folks who could help you from going through the hassle.

Edited by wpcoe

I'm in Jomtien, so it looks like I'll have to be there.

When I tried to  type the post there was only a drag files section and no where to type. I don't know why. Works ok now though.

Thanks for the info.

On 1/7/2017 at 11:39 PM, Djw6 said:

I'm in Jomtien, so it looks like I'll have to be there.

When I tried to  type the post there was only a drag files section and no where to type. I don't know why. Works ok now though.

Thanks for the info.

You do not EVER HAVE to attend in person at a land office. Just sign power of Attorney to your Lawyer and let her deal with it. It should cost no more than about 15000Bht for dealing with everything from start to finish.  Depending what part of Jomtien your condo stands, your land office may well be Sattahip and not Pattaya. Unless you speak and read fluent Thai you won't have much idea of what is going on anyway.

14 hours ago, Lovethailandelite said:

You do not EVER HAVE to attend in person at a land office. Just sign power of Attorney to your Lawyer and let her deal with it. It should cost no more than about 15000Bht for dealing with everything from start to finish.  Depending what part of Jomtien your condo stands, your land office may well be Sattahip and not Pattaya. Unless you speak and read fluent Thai you won't have much idea of what is going on anyway.

`

On my recent condo sale I was told by two real estate agents who I know and trust that these days the Pattaya Land Office requires the seller to be there in person.  No POA for sellers.  Other Land Offices may, and probably do, have different procedures.  It was noted that in the past Pattaya did permit sellers to have POA representation, but apparently not any more?

5 hours ago, wpcoe said:

`

On my recent condo sale I was told by two real estate agents who I know and trust that these days the Pattaya Land Office requires the seller to be there in person.  No POA for sellers.  Other Land Offices may, and probably do, have different procedures.  It was noted that in the past Pattaya did permit sellers to have POA representation, but apparently not any more?

Unless there has been a very recent Law change I really see no reason for them to need you to be there? Perhaps the agents you spoke with never wanted you to use a Lawyer in order to cop the fees themselves? I know some very good and trusted estate agents in Pattaya that would never entertain doing a deal without using a Lawyer. I also happen to know some very good and trusted Lawyers.

1 hour ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Unless there has been a very recent Law change I really see no reason for them to need you to be there? Perhaps the agents you spoke with never wanted you to use a Lawyer in order to cop the fees themselves? I know some very good and trusted estate agents in Pattaya that would never entertain doing a deal without using a Lawyer. I also happen to know some very good and trusted Lawyers.

Not sure.  What fee would the agent have been considered to cop?  I only paid the standard sales commission.  The buyer had a lawyer there to represent him and I stayed with her the whole time, on the buyer's dime.  My agent only stopped by for a few minutes to give the cashiers check to the lawyer who later gave it to me when the transaction was being completed.  My agent wasn't there to hold my hand, nor did he need to be.

9 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Not sure.  What fee would the agent have been considered to cop?  I only paid the standard sales commission.  The buyer had a lawyer there to represent him and I stayed with her the whole time, on the buyer's dime.  My agent only stopped by for a few minutes to give the cashiers check to the lawyer who later gave it to me when the transaction was being completed.  My agent wasn't there to hold my hand, nor did he need to be.

Some agents want to charge to go to the land office. Buying or selling in 30 years I have never been to a Land office. I have never found a reason to need to go.That's why I pay Lawyer and give them POA. Works for me but everyone to there own.

6 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

Some agents want to charge to go to the land office. Buying or selling in 30 years I have never been to a Land office. I have never found a reason to need to go.That's why I pay Lawyer and give them POA. Works for me but everyone to there own.

How recently was your last transaction as a seller where you were represented by someone with a Power of Attorney at the Pattaya Land Office?