More than 3,500 foreigners deported in 2016

geovalin

The government’s campaign against foreign nationals who have either overstayed their visas or crossed the border illegally resulted in more than 3,500 people being deported and barred permanently from the kingdom in 2016. “In total, 3,509 illegal immigrants have been deported and those deportees are barred permanently from returning to the Kingdom of Cambodia,” Major General Uk Heisela, the chief investigator at the Interior Ministry’s immigration department, said, giving a one-year tally to Khmer Times yesterday.

“These immigrants comprise 63 different nationalities. Of this total, 2,570 deportees were Vietnamese,” he said, adding that the deportations were carried out in accordance with the Immigration Law. Maj. Gen. Heisela said immigration police were still hard at work less than a week into the new year, having detained nearly 40 foreigners from Sunday until yesterday.

“Meanwhile, with raids from January 1, immigration police in Phnom Penh have deported an additional 39 foreigners, of which 33 were Vietnamese.” In August, the Interior Ministry released the preliminary results of its 18-month census on foreigners living in the kingdom. It found that more than 160,000 foreign nationals were residing in Cambodia, with the vast majority of them being Vietnamese. They did not release specific figures or totals.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33975/more-than-3-500-foreigners-deported-in-2016/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 06/01

Hard to believe that these many Vietnamese would come to Cambodia which I gather for better wages and a better life. I talked to the door man at a hotel in Phnom Penh Cambodia and he was telling me he earns about a dollar a day.

Is Vietnam really that poor? I have never been their. One of the few places I haven't.