Taxi driver dumps Thai woman on roadside so he can pick up foreign tourists

rooster59

17 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

How do you know they have lots of money? Because they walked out to the road to catch a cab and avoid the extra change for a taxi inside the airport?

What extra charge?  It was at Don Muang not Suvanabhumi Airport, there is no extra charge at the former, only the latter.:wai:

I don't know why people have problems with  taxis, maybe it's because they cannot speak the language and are, unfortunately,  taken advantage of.  I travelled from Don Muang to the Australia Embassy and back last week, no problem at all and no dual pricing. Total cost B440 for the round trip (different taxis) plus a tip of B100 and toll of B240, all up B780.

The meter was turned on in both cases, never had to ask.  I was also asked if I wanted to go the highway or toll way and even told how much the toll was.  But then I speak the language and did so at all times. I also found both driver's extremely courteous, and they and their taxis, spotless. :wai:

In an ironic twist of fate the Foriegn passengers left $25,000 worth of foreign currency and $18,000 worth of uncut diamonds. The taxi driver found it under the seat and returned it immediately. Now he is one of Bangkok's unsung heroes.

Edited by anotheruser

On 1/7/2017 at 4:46 PM, Geoff Snell said:

I will be totally honest mate. I started to read the story and stopped after the first paragraph. I s that ok with you

Herbaled, has had too many herbs, and likes to have a go at everyone it seems,
If you have nothing constructive to say to anyone, or about anything eddy.....................

9 hours ago, Si Thea01 said:

I don't know why people have problems with  taxis, maybe it's because they cannot speak the language and are, unfortunately,  taken advantage of.  I travelled from Don Muang to the Australia Embassy and back last week, no problem at all and no dual pricing. Total cost B440 for the round trip (different taxis) plus a tip of B100 and toll of B240, all up B780.

The meter was turned on in both cases, never had to ask.  I was also asked if I wanted to go the highway or toll way and even told how much the toll was.  But then I speak the language and did so at all times. I also found both driver's extremely courteous, and they and their taxis, spotless. :wai:

Obviously never taken one from Soi 4.
Notorious for not using meters and ripping people off, Thai's included !!

On 07/01/2017 at 4:46 PM, Geoff Snell said:

I will be totally honest mate. I started to read the story and stopped after the first paragraph. I s that ok with you

How do you know that it doesn't warrant a mention and that there are thousands of taller [sic] stories if you only read the first paragraph?   Totally honest?

On 1/8/2017 at 4:56 AM, jacko45k said:

Is this to be expected,  drivers were told they had to take passengers, but were they told that they also have to take them to their desired destination? It certainly is unfair for anyone to be dumped out, likely in a spot that would not suit them, and this driver needs to be punished. That is at last 3 bad taxi driver stories I have read lately and we now have to have a driver returning a bag full of money to a passenger who left it on the seat.

Life isn't fair. It is more than reasonable and should be expected to be thrown out on the side of a busy road if a better fare comes up. Look racism didn't even play a part he threw out Thai people purely based upon simple economics. 

This is one courageous young man who happens to be caught in the life of swimming up stream. We owe it to him as a society not to make this endeavor more difficult through uncalled upon scrutiny.

Just be thankful there is always a taxi night or day rain or shine. They truly are the seam of society/

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, kangaloowest said:

Obviously never taken one from Soi 4.
Notorious for not using meters and ripping people off, Thai's included !!

No reason to go to Soi 4, my response was about getting a taxi from the aorport but I know that Thais do get ripped off as well as foreigners, and not only from that location.  My point is that if one can speak and understand Thai, then they stand a better chance of this not happening.  If they do then they have themselves to blame for not setting the perimeters before accepting to hire the taxi.

I never get into a taxi that has no meter, which I have seen a few, (illegal) and if the metered ones do not engage the meter then that's where the hiring stops and I get out.  Have had it happen twice in almost 4 years, they're not happy but I tell them, politely, that this is one person they are  not going to touch.  It must be hard for some one to learn how to say in Thai, turn on metre. (Peid met, pronounced perd met) or just point and say on, they understand, believe me. :wai:

On 1/7/2017 at 4:56 PM, jobsworth said:

firstly because NGO's have unlimited funds and secondly because they knew how to do this trick and thirdly because family groups from the west do not travel like that with many male and female members. NGO's are personally poor and so can easily be identified by their scruffy appearance.  But then how did they afford the air fare? They are after all recruited from the homeless shelters of australia and europe.  not their fault but something to be aware of.

Well bugger me with a feather duster.That would have to be the worst profiling i have ever read.Congrats,i can still be surprised.