Phuket must do more to stop road accidents, says health consultant

rooster59

Phuket must do more to stop road accidents, says health consultant 

Yutthawat Lekmak

1483760339_1-org.jpg

This accident involving a pickup truck packed with watermelons, which left one person dead, occurred outside of the Seven Days of Danger. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: The Southern Region Consultant for the Thai Health Promotion Foundation has said that Phuket must do more to reduce accidents on the island throughout the year and not only during times such as the recent “Seven Days of Danger”.

The consultant, Dr Wiwat Seetamanotch, told The Phuket News yesterday (Jan 6) that although this year’s death statistic from the Seven Days of Danger was lower that last year – two in 2017 compared to six in 2016 – the full statistics still show that there are too many accidents concurring.

“It is good that the number of deaths in this year’s Seven day of Danger was less that last year. However, there were more injuries from accidents reported on the road this year than last.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-must-do-more-to-stop-road-accidents-says-health-consultant-60541.php#Usbtd1IUKdPoOG7f.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-01-07

Nothing is going to change. Thailand will remain one of the deadliest places to drive in the world because there is no law enforcement on the roads. Traffic stops do nothing to improve how dangerous the roads are.

In order to improve the safety of the roads, cops are needed on the highways. We don't drive like maniacs in our Western countries because we're afraid of getting pulled over getting heavily fined, our insurance increasing significantly or losing our license. None of that is in place in Thailand. 

That will take 1000's of police pursuit vehicles and police training and that simply is not going to happen anytime soon.

Driver's licenses are almost meaningless. People drive without them all the time. They can't even get people to wear helmets. It's going to take a huge cultural change by the Thai people and seriously, does anyone see that happening anytime soon?  

It's possible to do. Put a fleet of say Honda CBR 300 motorcycles with lights  on them and train the BIB. Put real meaningful fines and confiscation of vehicles in place. Fines could probably pay for the whole thing in 3 months! But the Thais will never do this. It's a cultural thing. They don't really give a shit, so it goes. 

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

PHUKET: The Southern Region Consultant for the Thai Health Promotion Foundation has said that Phuket must do more to reduce accidents on the island throughout the year and not only during times such as the recent “Seven Days of Danger”.

I knew this and I am not even a traffic consultant. I missed my calling I guess. The throughout the year part hmm. Need an attention expansion for that one. Peoples brains should be wired like computers with USB ports. They could plug in various sticks on traffic safety and well pretty much everything unlike mobiles a purpose would be served. Like a refresher course. 

3 hours ago, Grubster said:

I guess if there not intended yes, accidents.

The biggest problem at Patong  Beach is that a lot of Motorist will not use there headlights at night. The other day we had to go out in the rain and we had a lot of near misses in the car because the other drivers would not use headlights. This is outright dangerous. Anyway there seems to be no road rules at Patong Beach. Motorist go through red lights and turn right from the left lane, when there are signs in English and Thai saying this is not allowed. Where are the Police, who knows. What I would like to see is that these drivers being fined a 1,000 Baht. I bet they would not do it again.