Thai Chick about to get ripped off....

Dagnabbit

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, newatthis said:

"She's never met the dude. He contacted her on FB. She cannot speak English. Yet she is convinced he's about to send her a wedge of $$$ for this house. She sees this as a windfall and is planning to pocket the cash.

Now a really, really small part of me thinks this is legit, that I shouldn't help her 'cause she's planning to steal the money."

As others have posted it's probably a scam, but she's no different.

OP why would you protect a thief against a thief?

Let her learn her own lessons from her thieving ways, it's nothing less than she deserves.

2 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

How do you figure she is scum? How do you figure I'm hanging out with her?

Naive yes, scum is a bit harsh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is looking to pocket 10 million cash of an elderly stranger, do you reckon she is morrally upstanding, irrespective of her being naive?

She is looking to pocket 10 million cash of an elderly stranger, do you reckon she is morrally upstanding, irrespective of her being naive?

Well, i'm not a judgemental <deleted>, so I dont think she's scum.

Young and naive for sure.

well we can only hope that she pays the $700 and is ripped off just as she is planning on ripping off the other person, they are both just as guilty as each other, sit on the side lines and get a good laugh out of it, greed will always be the problem with many thais

25 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

This.  I stopped feeling sorry for her when I read this part.  How naive can she be if she's street-wise enough to be plotting against this guy?  Greedy is more like it... and willing to overlook common sense and the obvious scam because she sees dollar signs.  Forget her idiot "boyfriend" who sends large amounts of cash through the mail (and via a method that might get the box opened to check for customs value, at which point the cops might take a hard look at the amount of money he's dealing with and will start asking why-- and they're not going to believe it's for "buying a house.").  Either they're both naive and stupid, or they're both scammers, but it sounds like they deserve each other.

But I smell a troll in the OP anyway.  Won't give details... knows her through dubious means he won't share... swears he's not her friend or involved with her in any way yet he's trying hard to "help" this person who he'll barely admit is an acquaintance and defending her pretty heavily and is unwilling to just back away from the situation... she apparently doesn't have any Thai friends who can help her with translation (how has she been communicating with this guy if she can't speak English and it sounds like he can't speak Thai?)... screwed-up ethical situation and while he's been given solid advice he keeps feeding it looking for different answers...

MY solid advice, which will be ignored so you can go on about what a good girl she is, nice but planning to steal a lot of money from a guy she's lying to, highly-educated but with no critical-thinking skills?  Tell her "he's scamming you, don't do it, and quit trying to scam him as well" and then say bye-bye and walk away and forget about it; since you barely know her and she isn't your friend or anything, this is no big deal to do, right?  (I'm also thinking, with everyone else, that it's possible you'll be the one to get hit up for the cash to either send this guy or collect the box.  Don't do it.  Or, which no one else has mentioned, she is being used as a straw recipient for him to send money to someone for nefarious purposes and soon she will be asked to deliver said money to a "friend" of his {I didn't google his name and address to see if either actually exists, but it wouldn't hurt to do so}.  Which is a legal situation neither she nor you want to get caught in.)

Edited by Katia

4 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Your input in this may have grave consequences for you.  If she stupid enough to fall from this well publicised scam she or whoever lent her cash etc may turn to you as her Ill advisor. Bait post anyway. 

Exactly ...bail out and let someone else handle it for her once she's done her money you wont be in her good books anymore.

13 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

How would you advise I do that? Move to Iceland maybe?

Why bother getting involved in other people`s dramas and stupid get rich quick money making schemes or scams. Give the woman your opinion and then it`s up to her, it`s really not your concern or your problem. I have no time for stupidity and illogical people, just let them get on with it.

From experience I have found sticking the neck out to advise and try to save these people from themselves is a thankless task and a waste of time.

The OP appears to be asking simply should he warn the lady that this s a scam. Morally he should of course warn her and at the same time explain that her actions are akin to those of the person trying to scam her.  Then walk away and don't discuss further.

101/98 Young and Duke Street, Kingston, Guyana would indicate it to be on the corner where both streets meet.

The address as formatted seems to be a complete misnomer. 

Coincidentally, the USA Embassy is on one of those corners, (U.S. Embassy, 100 Young and Duke Streets).

Across the road is the Guyana Bank for Trade & Industry Ltd with an address of High & Young Streets.

200mtr down the road is the Guyana Police Depot.

Public Relations Officer
Police Headquarters
Young St., Eve Leary
Georgetown, Guyana
(592) 225-6411
(592) 123-4567
[email protected]

Would flick the Air Way Bill for them to investigate the possible scam that would tarnishing the good name of Guyanians, if indeed it has originated from there, rather than bounced around the globe 3 times with origin from Lagos.

19 hours ago, seajae said:

well we can only hope that she pays the $700 and is ripped off just as she is planning on ripping off the other person, they are both just as guilty as each other, sit on the side lines and get a good laugh out of it, greed will always be the problem with many thais

I think the last word should be replaced by "people"

Is she going to pay up?  Just don't lend her the money to do it!

No idea at this point. I suspect that if she does, she'll keep very quiet about it - loss of face & all that.

I presume she'll get a call today. As if yesterday there was no request for money.

100% scam.   

They do use average looking middle aged or older farang to rip off small amounts from usually middle aged or older asian ladies.

The pictures of the man will be  stolen.   Most of the time they will show up on google image search.

The scammer counts on the person being greedy, or lonely, and the thought that she can take the money and run doesn't bother them.   There is no money, except for the 'courier' fees she will pay.

The courier agency is not real.  The waybill is not real.

Get her to borrow the money from her cop BF.

:)

The request came through today. A Thai woman called and said the box had arrived but there's 12,000 Baht to pay.

At this point, I have had to tell the wife (whose been fielding her calls the past few days) to give her a reality slap. She was talking about going there with the 12,000 Baht so she could look in the box before handing over the cash. I can't imagine that would be the safest thing for her to do.

So I told the wife to tell her that she could be in danger if she did that. She'll probably still go because she wants it to be true. Funny thing - if her Gik wasn't a cop, she could go to the police. These people seem to live such complex lives...

She'll probably be in the Bangkok post on Wednesday!