Thai Chick about to get ripped off....

Dagnabbit

I'm going to have to be a big vague here....

Over the past few weeks, I've been asked to do a bit of translation for a young gal who goes to 'cooking class' with someone I know.

The upshot is that some old dude on Facebook is about to send her waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay upwards of 10M THB to buy a house for them to live in. He looks about 50 years older than she is & that's being conservative.

She's never met the dude. He contacted her on FB. She cannot speak English. Yet she is convinced he's about to send her a wedge of $$$ for this house. She sees this as a windfall and is planning to pocket the cash.

Now a really, really small part of me thinks this is legit, that I shouldn't help her 'cause she's planning to steal the money. Let's call that part .000000000000001%. The rest of me sees this as someone lining her up to rip her off. He's dangling a ton of cash in front of her and will make up an excuse that she has to send him a 'small amount', say 30k first. My 'someone I know' tells me she probably doesn't have 30k but I told this someone - if you thought you were going to get this big windfall, don't you think you'd find a way to get the 30k.

No-one has pointed this out to her yet. I'm of the opinion she should learn the hard way, considering she thinks she's doing the stealing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

Look up Nigerian scams as they relate to gullible Thai women.

There has been about as many threads here as there has been variations of the "pay the Customs duty for me then collect the box with millions" scam.

Agreed - but seeing as she is planning to steal some guys life savings, do I just forget to mention this to her? I'm of the opinion she deserves it...

Plus it's payback for all those that have fallen by the wayside...

Edited by Dagnabbit

I worked with a Jordanian lady in Kuwait. She had a Phillipino maid who looked after her daughters. One day she asked for an advance on her salary so that she could send money to people to enable them to send a fortune to her. A typical Nigerian scam ... no matter what the lady said to her she would not believe that it was a scam. As far as she was concerned it was the answer to her prayers. Several payments later and no money arrived. 

The scenario described above by the OP sounds very similar ... I suspect that you are not enabling her to rip someone off but in fact enabling a fraudster to rip her off. Perhaps they deserve each other.

wasn't Thailand cracking down on foreigners positing fake Thai wives in order to buy land?  I thought they were scrutinizing the monies a lot and doing things like buying a house were getting hard to do?  I say let it run its course, as long as she doesn't have to give out any personal or bank information, which I am sure will be asked for shortly

I have to agree with most of the above that its a "nigerian" scam......

but I have also seen old European guys send loads of money to ladies they have only talked to on the internet....

BUT to me the trigger is 10 MILLION baht  , if it was  2000 euros or something maybe believable , but 10 million just grabs the real greedy ones , who will send this guy money for " paperwork etc "

Obviously a scam. Probably a black dude from Nigeria is sitting in front of his stolen MacBook typing the day away, trying to trick women into sending him money. 

I would tell the cops and they would talk to the girl and she would continue talking to him like nothing happened and by doing so they could easily get the guy as it has happened many times already. 

3 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

... Plus it's payback for all those that have fallen by the wayside...

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Maybe best to avoid getting involved with such quality folk...

2 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

How would you advise I do that? Move to Iceland maybe?

No no, not the girl. Stop planning to be some sort of knight in shining armor for senseless people giving away the farm.

Has she asked you to lend her the money to pay the advance fee yet ?

If not then I suspect she will and you should also consider that this could be the entire point of the fraud. You might be the mark.

Edited by ukrules

"She's never met the dude. He contacted her on FB. She cannot speak English. Yet she is convinced he's about to send her a wedge of $$$ for this house. She sees this as a windfall and is planning to pocket the cash.

Now a really, really small part of me thinks this is legit, that I shouldn't help her 'cause she's planning to steal the money."

As others have posted it's probably a scam, but she's no different.

3 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

Obviously a scam. Probably a black dude from Nigeria is sitting in front of his stolen MacBook typing the day away, trying to trick women into sending him money.

Yes, it sounds like a scam...except that the OPs says "the guy looks 50 years older than she is & that's being conservative."  Don't these Nigerian dudes normally use fake photos of a handsome guy who's not that much older?  Anyways, it will be painfully obvious if the guy starts asking for money.  The OP should at least tell the girl to expect a package of gifts that will require payment to clear customs. 

No no, not the girl. Stop planning to be some sort of knight in shining armor for senseless people giving away the farm.

Well, I'm clearly not, otherwise I would have told her already.

This is a discussion forum. It is good to discuss stuff, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your input in this may have grave consequences for you.  If she stupid enough to fall from this well publicised scam she or whoever lent her cash etc may turn to you as her Ill advisor. Bait post anyway. 

Not possible. We aren't dealing with 'village people' here. This is in the city, someone educated but extremely naive.

same thing happened to sil, guy with USA army pic on fb with no other friends! My wife would not believe me when I told her there would be a request for money over the 'sent' money. She never paid it and never heard from him again, these American majors are so fickle :sad:

I would tell the cops and they would talk to the girl and she would continue talking to him like nothing happened and by doing so they could easily get the guy as it has happened many times already. 

Her gik is one of the BiB - so I'm pretty sure that avenue is closed.

Yes, it sounds like a scam...except that the OPs says "the guy looks 50 years older than she is & that's being conservative."  Don't these Nigerian dudes normally use fake photos of a handsome guy who's not that much older?  Anyways, it will be painfully obvious if the guy starts asking for money.  The OP should at least tell the girl to expect a package of gifts that will require payment to clear customs. 

Airwaybill came through this AM and the 'victim' sent it to my missus.

So she's now convinced that this fella has sent the cash in a box. There's just over $700 to pay on the airwaybill but no-one has called and asked for it yet. I presume the shipping co will ask tomorrow.

My wife called her after seeing the AWB but it seems common sense is on vacation today.

8 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

How would you advise I do that? Move to Iceland maybe?

8 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Maybe best to avoid getting involved with such quality folk...

There is a young girl who goes to a cooking class w/someone you know & an old man from facebook who you do not know -  - and you can't figure out how to extricate yourself from such a minimal connection? Sounds like neither one is in your daily life, but moving to Iceland sounds like fun, though you might want to lay low when you get there at least for a little while.. 

Extremely common scam, wife's friend received similar and they showed me. Told them it was a scam in the making and let me play the game on her behalf to string them along. I even predicted correctly what would happen at each stage up to the point where they wanted an email address to send their dodgy bank details. Soon lost interest and low and behold the Facebook account no longer existed.

27 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

There is a young girl who goes to a cooking class w/someone you know & an old man from facebook who you do not know -  - and you can't figure out how to extricate yourself from such a minimal connection? Sounds like neither one is in your daily life, but moving to Iceland sounds like fun, though you might want to lay low when you get there at least for a little while.. 

It's not a cooking class - I put 'cooking class' 'cause I prefer to be a bit vague.

I don't have to extricate myself because I am not involved - just observing. Rather amused to see the shoe on the other foot.