Credit card with no foreign transaction fees and great air miles bonus.

Nice idea... but the card you mentioned should be the  Chase Sapphire RESERVE... not the  Chase Sapphire Preferred... so beware if you are going to apply, they are different... and they don't link to Thai Airlines... but do to United and Singapore and some others. For me the 'no fees' on international purchases was a great point also as they add up quickly when using my other cards overseas!

Great card, points do transfer 1to1 (points to miles) to United, and I just recently booked a Thai Airways Business class flight TG 970 out of BKK using miles points directly from the United Airlines website

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I have received my 100k bonus points from the Reserve card plus the 50k bonus I received from the Chase Preferred card. With all the purchases I have made recently, have enough points for two round trip business class tickets on Singapore Air. Trying to decide between South Africa or Japan. No visa needed for either of those for my Thai partner. :) I believe those tickets are worth about $4000 US if you were to buy them. Not a bad deal at all.

For the guys who have the Reserve card - Have you tried using it for airport lounges? Success getting in free?

The wording was not very precise on the Chase site, and I saw a post on a travel forum where a guy was going to be charged despite having the card, so I got the impression it depends on the airline or airport but hopefully I'm wrong.

The card does not give lounge access but the card gives you no cost membership to the separate Priority Pass program ( normally over $100 per year) Priority Pass sends you a separate membership card which can be used for a wide network of airport lounges (not AIRLINE lounges) world wide at no cost

" If $4,000 USD charged within the 1st 4 months of being approved for the card, there is a bonus of 100,000 air miles."

I got this wrong - it's 4k USD charged the 1st THREE months.

Too bad for me - I can't see myself making  the bonus on the Capital One Venture I got 2 weeks ago.

I wanted to get these cards before I make my first 3 month trip to SE Asia as I'm giving up my longterm residence and thought it would be a problem applying later.
Turned out to be very easy to get these so my timing was awful but will start only using the Chase Reserve once that arrives.

There are many websites with tips and ideas to best meet the initial bonus spending requirements (maybe $4k in 3 months) such as purchasing gift card(s) like American Express that can be used over an extended period

I would love to know how people living in Thailand can gill more than #1,000 a month on their card.
Especially when you need to bill even more for the first three months.   And I mean, “really” and not something like “I go to bars every night and buy drinks for all the ladies.”  

One website would say buy an American Express gift card for the total amount and use it over an extended period for your regular purchases

You don't have to book through Chase to use the $300 travel credit. I just bought a Nok Air ticket direct, and the credit was automatically applied to that.

Each Grab or Uber fare that went to the card from my Android App automatically applied to the $300 credit. More benefits for the annual fee than just points bonus, travel credit, wise to read all on line before making decision, ie due diligence, other benefits Priority Pass lounge membership, Global Entry subsidy, extending purchases protection or warranty, travel insurance, etc etc etc etc My opinion, the best card I have ever had or seen

On 1/19/2017 at 6:56 PM, lkn said:

I only read the OP which says “first four months” (awards you 100,000 frequent flyer miles).

For me, 100,000 miles have a cash value of ~$3,225 as I use miles for business class upgrades, and I buy the business class ticket when I have no miles. This assumes that the miles are regular miles that can be used for upgrades. Buying tickets (instead of upgrades) with your miles tend to give you less value.

I don’t think I qualify for Chase though (because of citizenship) and the bonus has been discontinued, so a moot point.

I would also be unlikely to sign up for something with a yearly fee of $450, even if they give me back $300 as a “travel credit” (when I book via Chase).

"...the bonus has been discontinued..."

Online the point bonus has been halved to 50k miles (75k miles if booked thru Chase), but in a physical Chase bank it's still 100k miles.