Son told he lost his Thai citizenship for using Aussie passport

2 hours ago, dentonian said:

I believe that according to the Thai Nationality Act, someone following this route to Thai nationality has to live and work in Thailand for 5 years before Thai nationality is granted.

Ubonjoe is right. That clause is nothing to do with applying for PR or Thai nationality.  He is already Thai anyway.  That provision was intended for use by Thais who have had to renounce Thai nationality (in order to obtain another nationality that requires evidence of renunciation of former nationality) and can be used such people as well as those who want to conceal their Thai nationality by never using a Thai passport, e.g. look krung with a Singaporean parent who are not asked to show evidence of renunciation but will automatically lose Singaporean nationality after they come of age, if a Singaporean IO detects from their passport that they must have been using another passport. It is also useful, as Ubonjoe says, for Thais who come from abroad and haven't yet organised a Thai passport ID card and tabien baan.

The boy's mother was wrongly advised again, as she should have been getting one year extensions under this rule for her son instead of troubling with the 90 day extensions.

It seems extraordinary that the parents care so little about their son that they can't be bothered to sort out a new Thai passport for him and regularise his immigration status, even though it means having to take the trouble to extend his pointless visa every 90 days.  It's also amazing that they were so easily conned out of B20,000 for nothing.  If it were me, assuming I had a receipt which sounds like a big if in this case, I would go to Immigration with the pertinent regulations in hand and demand a refund.  My guess is the boy will come to no harm as a result of this parental neglect but letting more water go under the bridge is likely to make it harder for him to sort things out later.

30 minutes ago, Arkady said:

The boy's mother was wrongly advised again, as she should have been getting one year extensions under this rule for her son instead of troubling with the 90 day extensions.

It seems extraordinary that the parents care so little about their son that they can't be bothered to sort out a new Thai passport for him and regularise his immigration status, even though it means having to take the trouble to extend his pointless visa every 90 days.  It's also amazing that they were so easily conned out of B20,000 for nothing.  If it were me, assuming I had a receipt which sounds like a big if in this case, I would go to Immigration with the pertinent regulations in hand and demand a refund.  My guess is the boy will come to no harm as a result of this parental neglect but letting more water go under the bridge is likely to make it harder for him to sort things out later.

The son is on annual extensions of stay and having to make 90 day reports.

They've misplaced/lost the receipt as this happened some 3 years ago.

The payment is recorded on the Fathers bank statements, but I'd love to know just who it was paid to!

Again lethargy and an abundance of money means they can't be bothered perusing a refund....if that was at all possible.

I agree they should get this sorted sooner rather than later........but they have to deal with it and at the moment they just don't seem interested, although they are aware of the options. Having a good time appears to be their priority.

48 minutes ago, dentonian said:

The son is on annual extensions of stay and having to make 90 day reports.

They've misplaced/lost the receipt as this happened some 3 years ago.

The payment is recorded on the Fathers bank statements, but I'd love to know just who it was paid to!

Again lethargy and an abundance of money means they can't be bothered perusing a refund....if that was at all possible.

I agree they should get this sorted sooner rather than later........but they have to deal with it and at the moment they just don't seem interested, although they are aware of the options. Having a good time appears to be their priority.

Oh well. It sounds like they will just leave it to their son to sort out for himself when he is old enough, if he stays on in Thailand. He will have a pretty dim view of his parents when he finds out what happened.

• Like 1