Which is better to join, Army or Navy ?

I'm 25, live in the UK, have a decent kitchen porter job but it isn't a long term kind of job, doesn't pay enough for a decent future, and I'm currently still living with the parents, don't have any uni degrees, I can't teach English in Thailand because of that, and I didn't do amazing in School, not awful, but not great, so I need to think about my future, my career, and how am I gonna get a chance to live in Thailand at an older age, joining the Army or Navy might be a good idea for someone like me maybe. I wont be joining this year, or maybe the next year, will travel a bit more first, get fit and healthy, maybe next year or the year after.

but which one to join, Army or Navy ? 

American here, don't know about the UK but you shouldn't wait on traveling or fitness. They will tighten you up just fine. 

Since you are looking at it from a financial/future standpoint, witch one provides the best 'package'? Clearly you haven't looked into it past a couple google searches. Not sure how the UK Bros operate but you need to talk to a recruiter. 

You are already 25, don't play around any longer imho enlist and get moving. Dont think about Thailand either, think about yourself and your future and what you can get out of it. 

To me, being a kitchen porter vs soldier is a no brainer. Sign up. 

The Andrew will only take fit applicants, thus  upon viewing the litany of earlier posts by the O P concerning his health I  would suggest he takes a course in Zimmer frame navigation.

I did serve in Andrew but not a ''lower decks man who are the backbone of the service. I later moved to the legal profession after  flying my paying off pennant

I'm guessing you are asking about the army or navy in Thaikland? If so, like the previous poster said, if you can't swim definitely choose army. Navy seems to be viewed with higher status compare to the army. If you can swim and enjoy being on boats, go for the Navy it is the better choice.

Edited by mike324

GO NOW and visit with the recruiters of both services.  Both are terrific options for someone just like you.   Consider what kind of job and responsibilities that have an interest for you.  You will find that both services offer opportunities in a variety of areas.

Swimming has nothing to do with it!

Commit to yourself that you are going to do 25 years of service and when you are 50 years old you will have an education, training, and experiences that cannot be purchased for any price.  You can retire from a well respected profession and will be able to live in Thailand or anywhere else and probably not want for a thing.  People will thank you for your service for the rest of your life.

Do not wait.  Start NOW!

Cheers

I'd have given my left nut to get in the navy, on the engineering side. Great training, technology, going places, unbeatable camaraderie (they're a bit more discerning than your rough army types :tongue:), excellent CV with great future prospects, pensionable after 16-20 years, and you also get paid! It's a no-brainer afaic.

Asthma as a kid scuppered me despite passing everything else. I was later told if a military doctor had have performed the medical, I would have been alright. I still rue not getting in to this day!

You're already 25 so I would get down the recruitment office sharpish. I was 16. Plenty of time for mucking about later... there's a good chance you'll end up getting sidetracked and miss out if you procrastinate. Do yourself and country a favour. :wink:

Edited by daveAustin

Navy every time. You get ride most of the time, long sea voyages are good for the health :)

My youngest followed in my footsteps and ended up servicing aircraft for the Royal Marines, went to Afghanistan, got shot at (missed) came home safe and promptly got invalided out after a motorcycle accident. Anyway, he has landed well on his feet and is now servicing helicopters (his navy training) and business jets (learning the trade) for an outfit that provides wet-leased business transport.

Alternative would have been the raf. Whichever one, look to pick up a trade where skills are transferable back in the world as opposed to just an infantryman... some of which languish after they've done their time struggling to find a decent job. You would never get the level of training available in civilian life, worth tens or even hundreds of thousands in the case of the pilots. Lots of ex-military engineers go into well paying O&G positions.

6 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Alternative would have been the raf. Whichever one, look to pick up a trade where skills are transferable back in the world as opposed to just an infantryman... some of which languish after they've done their time struggling to find a decent job. You would never get the level of training available in civilian life, worth tens or even hundreds of thousands in the case of the pilots. Lots of ex-military engineers go into well paying O&G positions.

I'm reminded of the line from Yes Prime Minister about what the RAF thinks - General Howard: "You can ask them, if you're interested in the opinion of garage mechanics"

I've already been paying a pension at my current job for around 2 years maybe, I seriously can't join up now, my spine is out of alignment, back pain etc.. pelvic issues etc.. I'm working on getting that fixed and I've just joined a gym to get stronger, more muscle, improve core strength,  this year is about getting my health back on track, then if  I can do that I'll most likely sign up to the Navy. 

yes I'm single, no kids, though I have a thai female friend that likes me a lot.

On 1/9/2017 at 4:08 AM, cornishcarlos said:

The Royal Navy has ships, no need to swim everywhere :)

Tell that to all but 3 sailors on the Hood.

And don't forget the battleships/cruisers Arizona, General Belgrano, Yamato, Bismark, and so on & so on & so on.....

Navy. The lay-deezzz lurv sailors, massively.

When I was a lout studying in Sydney it was always a big night out if the navy was in town. Any navy... didn't matter. I think the girls used to feel sorry for all those poor female-deprived sailors sailing the seven seas or something.

Me and my mates used to hang around the bar at the pubs down The Rocks in Sydney and cop the wash that bounced off the sailors.

Great nights out!