Amazon Echo and Thailand

ev1lchris

I understand these devices are limited to the US and UK only.

I was lucky enough to get an Echo Dot.  It's been cool for looking up random information and controlling music.

However, I was wondering if these things are useful at all in Thailand?  I imagine I might have to use it through a VPN?  Then if I would want the time I would have to qualify it with "Alex, time in Bangkok."

I hope they unlock it for worldwide use.  Its a pleasant alarm.  

46 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

It will work fine except for time and date as it requires a US zip code. So if you want local news or weather you will need to ask it the weather in BKK...

if you are worried about the time , East Coast USA is 12 hours  from bkk time  much of the year ,

less confusing for me  :0

1 hour ago, oldcarguy said:

if you are worried about the time , East Coast USA is 12 hours  from bkk time  much of the year ,

less confusing for me  :0

Unless they go on that damm daylight savings time. Then it's 13 hours difference.  Messed up my hockey schedule.?

3 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Unless they go on that damm daylight savings time. Then it's 13 hours difference.  Messed up my hockey schedule.?

I think you'll find that when they go on daylight saving time that the difference between the east coast & Thailand is 11 hours.

Heard an interesting story the other day about a murder case in the US; detectives asked Amazon for a copy of all the audio of the night in question.

It seems Amazon quietly listen to everything the Echo can hear.

I won't be getting one.

• 2 weeks later...

My echo works fine with the Indochina time settings (Thai Time) - all the Thai radio is there too on tunedin or soundcloud for free, they are great for automating your home, voice activation. With your Thai zipcode here in BKK it thinks I am in Manhattan, but that is no biggy, just ask for Thailand stuff.  

Below plugged into my power bank and remote speaker as I was trying it in the car too.. 

dot.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 1/10/2017 at 7:25 AM, Chicog said:

Heard an interesting story the other day about a murder case in the US; detectives asked Amazon for a copy of all the audio of the night in question.

It seems Amazon quietly listen to everything the Echo can hear.

I won't be getting one.

ohhh shut up I bet you put black tape over your laptop camera as well 

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2017 at 9:28 AM, Oxx said:

Amazon has announced it's launching Echo devices in Thailand, so things should become easier.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon-bringing-echo-alexa-80-additional-countries-major-global-expansion/

Yeah I read that also.

I got the 2nd gen Amazon Echo from the US recently and using it here..... you just have to say "in Bangkok" or "in Thailand" after your questions and it will work just as well. Funny watching the kids and their Thai accent trying to say "alexa" so that the speaker responds..... will be great when they launch a native thai device that will understand Thai and Thaiglish. At the moment she doesn't even know how to translate into Thai.

I've set the US postcode to Dallas so it's exactly 12 hours behind.... so when you ask her the time it will be correct, just the AM/PM will be wrong.

It's a pretty amazing device though when controlling the TV and light dimmer and even our Smart vacuum cleaner. 

On 1/10/2017 at 2:25 PM, Chicog said:

I won't be getting one.

Nor will I...its bad enough that  a mobile phone can  have malicious app/code installed by accident or design that can do the same thing...

tumblr_loq5o7RD4N1qzl8s1o1_400.gif.f7840e0590178983348824354b9bb031.gif

• 2 months later...

I have an Amazon Echo purchased in the UK. I now know that it is not possible to get amazon premium in Thailand.

I have the premium  spotify, but my Echo does not allow my to select Spotify as the default music provider.

Is the spotify premium even compatible with the Echo in Thailand?

Does anyone use the voice control to play music in Thailand?

Any help or info would be much appreciated..

Archived