How much of this is BS? (Thai Marriage Money)

cheapskatesam

10 hours ago, anotheruser said:

customs change when you are most likely marrying a hooker. lol 

Oh, so dowry changed when all the Westerners married hookers? I know of Thai marriages which did not require sin sot. And, those marriages were not to hookers.

Edited by smotherb
to add the last sentence

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kovaltech said:

The first part was addressed to the writer, the second part to those who disrespect Thai culture, so ... whoever fits the shoe...

You seem to have forgotten your place; you have no right to tell anyone to leave Thailand.

Yeah Lanna ,

I believe it. Once I lent a fair sum to a friend for his show. He couldn't wait to give it back to me. As he didn't want it near his new wife. I knew from that moment his marriage was doomed.

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

I see no problem in observing the customs of another country. Having been started as I belive as a bit of a tounge  in cheek let's get the Thai girl hate brigade out in force post. It seems it has had the desired effect and the ever present Faithfull have yet again not disappointed with thete biased on sided views of there so called experiance. 

Good job really that tv only accounts for a very small % of the real expats in thailand.

I agree DeepInThailand. There sadly seems to be a huge population of jaded men on this site. In reading numerous posts in this forum over the years most that speak negatively of Thai women are the ones who had a marriage go bad in their home country and exited the west and came here only to either lash out about it all or got burned again by another women in another country. Clearly their life choice but one that seems rather unrewarding and most appear they cannot let go of the past. Life is far to short to be a bitter angry grumpy person.

On the other hand there are some of us that didn't look at our wives as some special elite race of women.  I do not see my wife as some elite Thai or royalty, I see her as my wife and companion. Women are the same all over the world. Here however they just happen to be far more simplistic in the overall big picture. In the US women can hide it in different ways but they desire the same as all; Personal and financial security and have a respectful responsible man.  My marriage here is the same as my marriage years ago was in the US.

Back to the Topic, I, like KenK24 and others, have attended numerous Thai weddings. Sin Sot was all part of the process and every one that I attended and knew the couple, they all got the money back. Its like wearing the dress, the man in a tux. All weddings are all show. Been that way for years. Look at what some women spend in the US for a wedding dress. I knew some that spent upwards $10K usd for one and they wear it for what 1hr plus a photo shoot? Sheese.  What about the reception, another $10 to $15k usd or more for food and booze and entertainment to show off some more?. Why people whinge about Sin Sot is beyond me. Its just part of the "show". Different country, different show but all  about perception and image. Just like the US. Imagine a guy showing up in shorts, flip flops and a T shirt when his wife was dressed up in a gown. Those families would be disappointed and quite embarrassed. Save Face, Image, Perception..All the same.

As I stated, I did not marry here in Thailand but if I was too, I would definitely go along with the show as its important for the families and friends. But I also said I would definitely have dated a long time and would have met all the family and understood the intentions.  

Been married twice in Thailand, ask for Sin Sot both times said no both times, first time ask for 500,000 B gave nothing, second time asked for 100,000 B gave the wife to be 40,000 B for all the cost of the wedding, many Thai ladies looking for a farang to marry only a few Farangs want to marry Thai ladies, it is probable at lest 500 to 1 maybe even a lot more, odds are well in the Farang favor , no need to pay sin sot if you have any sense, if one wants sin sot and will not marry with out it move on very easy to find another lady just as beautiful and just as good, thousands of them everywhere .

3 hours ago, irwinfc said:

quit being hysterical. no man talks about diapers and raising children while dating or even right after getting married. my point is for the OP to simply test the woman by sharing his thoughts on dowry. true, she may lie her ass off. if the OP can't (or won't) see through it, then it's his choice. he has been warned.

and yes, i have been to thailand - at least 30 times in the past 15 years. so yes, i know a thing or two about thailand.

Well sir, I am starting to doubt your intelligence, it is wise to discuss how one would raise children before getting married ... however, while I was sure that you had been to Thailand, it wasn't apparent that you understood how things work here.  You advised this OP to come give his new woman his gifts, date her, have fun, but "be direct" and inform her he would not like to pay sin sod, and your expectations of her are that she will then drop him if she does not agree.  Now you say that if she lies he should be able to see through that.  Thai people tell you what you want to hear, even when they are not trying to scam you, even when it is NOT really what you want to hear. It is a never-ending and frustrating maze and many foreigners never realize what in the hell is going on around them.

Because Thai people are not direct people, and lie quite a lot, they do not expect or believe what we say when we are direct and honest.  They simply think that is the first step in a negotiation.  On the other hand, if they are experienced farang hunters and do believe you, then you have simply shown all your cards in a negotiation to a con artist. They ignore the NO part and only hear the part where you have discussed marriage and money.  Discussing you and your money will continue non-stop.  You will be lead down a path you don't want to go.

These two styles really don't mix well ..the direct and honest approach and the Thai style of life and I feel the Thais are usually the winners in this battle.  My suggestion is don't do it at all.

Ok so i've been talking to a lady Thaifriendly for a few weeks now and i made a half hearted joke about marrying her.. anyway she got all serious and said that i best "start saving my money".. and i asked why and she told me this....

Btw she's not some Isaan farm girl... her and her family live in BKK and seem quite well to do. I'm not particularly bothered about this woman (i am really :'( ) but what she said got me thinking.. i hope it is BS because i'm not prepared to pay a womans family to marry her in the future of course.

SaiwkVm.png

So young man, after reading all these stories are you still looking forward to meeting her ? There have been some very good replies on your question and I'd suggest you take their advice.

Just one thing, I have laughed every time a poster wrote "Up to you". It's a well known phrase used by Thais. It means she knows you have a choice but she's putting the ball in your court. It's funny some taxi drivers say it if they go unmetered.

Be careful on your first visit.
Leave all of your gold at home, only take out no more than 4,000 B at night don't flash the cash or jewellery because people will watch you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

15 hours ago, smotherb said:

The skin-tones of those pictured do not appear to be hi-so.

The bride and grooms hand are on the right, holding the golden amulets – she had nice bright skin – it's Southern people, presumable with Chinese ancestors. Southern native families can be quite loaded on certain islands, however it seemed like only 1.2 million bath in Sin Sot. So yes, not hi-so at all – and I didn't mention that either – only a modest beach-wedding party with a few hundred guest...:smile:

12)wIMG_5745_beach-party.jpg

By the way, PS to OP: As groom you shall also expect to pay for the wedding party...:whistling:
Edit: PPS: When the bride's brother was married the year before, the were more than thousand guests – my guess was more likely in the area of two thousand...:shock1:

Edited by khunPer

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I agree DeepInThailand. There sadly seems to be a huge population of jaded men on this site. In reading numerous posts in this forum over the years most that speak negatively of Thai women are the ones who had a marriage go bad in their home country and exited the west and came here only to either lash out about it all or got burned again by another women in another country. Clearly their life choice but one that seems rather unrewarding and most appear they cannot let go of the past. Life is far to short to be a bitter angry grumpy person.

On the other hand there are some of us that didn't look at our wives as some special elite race of women.  I do not see my wife as some elite Thai or royalty, I see her as my wife and companion. Women are the same all over the world. Here however they just happen to be far more simplistic in the overall big picture. In the US women can hide it in different ways but they desire the same as all; Personal and financial security and have a respectful responsible man.  My marriage here is the same as my marriage years ago was in the US.

Back to the Topic, I, like KenK24 and others, have attended numerous Thai weddings. Sin Sot was all part of the process and every one that I attended and knew the couple, they all got the money back. Its like wearing the dress, the man in a tux. All weddings are all show. Been that way for years. Look at what some women spend in the US for a wedding dress. I knew some that spent upwards $10K usd for one and they wear it for what 1hr plus a photo shoot? Sheese.  What about the reception, another $10 to $15k usd or more for food and booze and entertainment to show off some more?. Why people whinge about Sin Sot is beyond me. Its just part of the "show". Different country, different show but all  about perception and image. Just like the US. Imagine a guy showing up in shorts, flip flops and a T shirt when his wife was dressed up in a gown. Those families would be disappointed and quite embarrassed. Save Face, Image, Perception..All the same.

As I stated, I did not marry here in Thailand but if I was too, I would definitely go along with the show as its important for the families and friends. But I also said I would definitely have dated a long time and would have met all the family and understood the intentions.  

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

I will say this some woman are there   Worst enemy and thai woman are at the top .

so you say all sin sot is given back well I would say yes it can happen for sure , but have you seen it with your own eyes that money been given back ? . 

We are talking about thailand not what go's on in your country so you can't  compare it .

i think it is not show it is a way  of getting free money out of a western or a thai man .

seen Were a thai gets married two times and gets the sin sot two times the thai bloke had no idea she had been married before and paid up , just could not understand how much of a  scam son sot is in thailand with thai people and when the western man come a long he gets suck in bad .

And why get married no need to in to days world.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

I will say this some woman are there   Worst enemy and thai woman are at the top .

so you say all sin sot is given back well I would say yes it can happen for sure , but have you seen it with your own eyes that money been given back ? . 

We are talking about thailand not what go's on in your country so you can't  compare it .

i think it is not show it is a way  of getting free money out of a western or a thai man .

seen Were a thai gets married two times and gets the sin sot two times the thai bloke had no idea she had been married before and paid up , just could not understand how much of a  scam son sot is in thailand with thai people and when the western man come a long he gets suck in bad .

I Have seen with my own eyes and I have felt it come out of my wallet and go back into my wallet next question. I have not known any falang personally who has been ripped off or given out free money next question. People marry to show loyalty to there partners I don't understand why some just live together no basis for a long term situation there.

7 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I Have seen with my own eyes and I have felt it come out of my wallet and go back into my wallet next question. I have not known any falang personally who has been ripped off or given out free money next question. People marry to show loyalty to there partners I don't understand why some just live together no basis for a long term situation there.

You have seen it with your own eyes I have seen it with my own eyes were it comes out and never goes back .

if you don't no a western personally who has not been rep off dose not mean it dose not happen and it dose I have seen it with my own eyes.

yes people do Marry to show loyalty to there parents but you don't need to Get married to do that do you .

living together with someone is a lot better then getting married because you can just walk away if it turns to s??? .

you don't need  a marriage  certificate to make it work.

Just read what DeepinThailand said. Same.  Btw You seem heavily jaded.

I too have witnessed money go right back to the groom. In fact in one instance we were all up in their suite at the hotel and the parents of the bride came to the room and  laughed and handed it all back.

Now I am not saying ALL sin sots are returned, I am just saying it is not like it was and most is all for show to the audience and everything looks OK. No one need know and that's why it just happens privately. I will also say that some Foreigners get duped because...well...they are are a bit thick and know very little how it all works. Heck I bet many do not even date long enough to know family and friends. Its just bam bam and I do not even want to go with the "Where did they meet them" as I suspect it will tell the tale about it all. 

And Yes I can compare because Sin Sot in Thailand and a wedding in the US are the same. Its all for show. What don't you get about that. Put it another way, would one rather pay $10K for a gown worn for 1 hr or give $10K to a gals family they are going to marry? For me neither but if forced to chose I would rather give $10K to a family as it will likely go a helluva a lot further then a $10K wedding gown that gets folded up and vacuumed sealed. LOL!

As for getting married or not, That's individual preference. Some prefer it and enjoy marriage others got burned and think all women are the anti-christ and they feel like they are in control not marrying so they can walk away at anytime and not lose half of everything they own.  I could have gone either way but it meant a lot to my wife and I do not worry about the half of everything I own syndrome. Shit happens.  

29 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Just read what DeepinThailand said. Same.  Btw You seem heavily jaded.

I too have witnessed money go right back to the groom. In fact in one instance we were all up in their suite at the hotel and the parents of the bride came to the room and  laughed and handed it all back.

Now I am not saying ALL sin sots are returned, I am just saying it is not like it was and most is all for show to the audience and everything looks OK. No one need know and that's why it just happens privately. I will also say that some Foreigners get duped because...well...they are are a bit thick and know very little how it all works. Heck I bet many do not even date long enough to know family and friends. Its just bam bam and I do not even want to go with the "Where did they meet them" as I suspect it will tell the tale about it all. 

And Yes I can compare because Sin Sot in Thailand and a wedding in the US are the same. Its all for show. What don't you get about that. Put it another way, would one rather pay $10K for a gown worn for 1 hr or give $10K to a gals family they are going to marry? For me neither but if forced to chose I would rather give $10K to a family as it will likely go a helluva a lot further then a $10K wedding gown that gets folded up and vacuumed sealed. LOL!

As for getting married or not, That's individual preference. Some prefer it and enjoy marriage others got burned and think all women are the anti-christ and they feel like they are in control not marrying so they can walk away at anytime and not lose half of everything they own.  I could have gone either way but it meant a lot to my wife and I do not worry about the half of everything I own syndrome. Shit happens.  

Not heavily jaded at all just say it as I see it .

tell me how can you make a statement like the sin sot thing, if you have seen it one or two times ok I agree , but it happens and most times the money dose not go back .

ok good you  compare thailand with the us then I should compare thailand with my mums home land and get paid sin sot by my thai if I am to marry one because that is how it happens there LOL . 

Up to you about  marriage your  Choice or should I say your wife choice. 

No shit dose not happen it happens if you let it happen when it comes to  marriage , 

but if you not have a lot to lose then get married but if you have millions to lose why would you  risk all that money because it is going to make your future wife happy.

not me , been there done that , you are happy good on you and I am happy not getting married. 

Why would I give $10,000 to a thai family what a load of rubbish it will go on beer and bs things.

the  wedding dress can be  handed down to the kids nothing wrong with that .

and some of those  dresses can be resold, not like the money you would  Rather give to the thai family, the money to will end up on  alcohol or some other bs . 

Not heavily jaded at all just say it as I see it

Oh you are jaded. Just read what you post. You say nothing nice about anybody or any women. You are clearly stuck in an vacuum.

tell me how can you make a statement like the sin sot thing, if you have seen it one or two times ok I agree , but it happens and most times the money dose not go back

I have personally witnessed it being returned well over half a dozen times. I just referenced one instance. Trust me the money being returned is not a public discussion why you may or may not know whats really going on.  

Up to you about  marriage your  Choice or should I say your wife choice. 

Not my wife's choice at all. Was her preference which I completely resp[ected and understood. I am an adult and the situation was discussed and the decision was 100% mutual. That's what adults do. 

why would you  risk all that money because it is going to make your future wife happy.

In the end George I do not let money run my life. No I am not loaded with cash but I found that money is the root of all evil and I refuse to let it control my life and decisions.

Why would I give $10,000 to a thai family what a load of rubbish it will go on beer and bs things

Well that all boils down to the company you keep George. I do not have a family that are drunktards and spend on "BS" things. You should change your circle of friends. This might be why you are so jaded. 

Edited by JAFO

7 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Oh you are jaded. Just read what you post. You say nothing nice about anybody or any women. You are clearly stuck in an vacuum.

I have personally witnessed it being returned well over half a dozen times. I just referenced one instance. Trust me the money being returned is not a public discussion why you may or may not know whats really going on.  

Not my wife's choice at all. Was her preference which I completely resp[ected and understood. I am an adult and the situation was discussed and the decision was 100% mutual. That's what adults do. 

In the end George I do not let money run my life. No I am not loaded with cash but I found that money is the root of all evil and I refuse to let it control my life and decisions.

Well that all boils down to the company you keep George. I do not have a family that are drunktards and spend on "BS" things. You should change your circle of friends. This might be why you are so jaded. 

Boy you do get up set just saying.

if you think I am jaded up to you .

like I think the bs about sin sot . 

I have shit loads and I am not going to give it to any woman be it thai or from the west that is the  difference  between you and me I have money and people like you go on about the money thing all the time  am sick of it .

No money no  honey as the Thais would say . 

You tell me , if not for your money would you be in thailand to day no , and don't give the bs about money is the roots of all evils . 

With no money you are a  nothing in this world  and if you did not have money you would not be in thailand with your wife now would you . 

I don't hang around with Thais at all ,  keep away from them so how can you say this makes me so jaded and don't need lots of friends. 

Calm down I am just saying from what I have seen in 7 years going to thailand.

i can go on and on about the thai  scammers but not care now up to the stupid  Man who get suck in by Thais .

you look at it from your side and I look at it from my side we will never agree so leave it at that . 

On 09/01/2017 at 3:42 AM, cheapskatesam said:

My flight is on Wednesday and i planned to meet her and go for dinner.. 

i've bought her a handbag yesterday from the designer outlet near me and some other bits and bobs from the UK like chocolates and stuff.. 

now everything is screwed up in my mind after she went berserk on me about money.. after my half hearted "joke".. 

going by your replies i think she has you hook line & sinker allready.              3 weeks in and your hinting at marriage ( c,mon it was not  a joke,  who you think your kidding  )    then your out buying her designer handbags , perfume and chocolates ?  

your gonna be a keeper !

Edited by pumpjack

5 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

I have shit loads and I am not going to give it to any woman be it thai or from the west that is the  difference  between you and me I have money and people like you go on about the money thing all the time  am sick of it .

Funny, I have found that people that boast about having lots of anything, have very little. Just saying

You tell me , if not for your money would you be in thailand to day no , and don't give the bs about money is the roots of all evils . 

I work here George for a US company. But regardless money is the root of all evil, Look at you, boasting, saying people without are nothing, The Cliche Bar girl saying "No Money No honey". Sounds like MONEY is everything to you. You might be surprised to find that some people do not put that much credence in money. I use it for the tool that it is. 

I don't hang around with Thais at all ,  keep away from them so how can you say this makes me so jaded and don't need lots of friends. 

You not having many friends and not hanging around the locals is pretty easy to see based on your posting.

Calm down I am just saying from what I have seen in 7 years going to thailand.

I am quite calm..So you do not live here? You come and go? You sure are opinionated for someone who does not live here. I guess that's easy to do. You see what you want to see in the fly by you do and formulate your opinion. 

I do have a question, if you hate the women and think they are all scammers and think that all Thais seem to be drunks why in the world do you come here? There has to be a better place on the planet that can make you happy. I don't get it?

4 hours ago, georgemandm said:

You have seen it with your own eyes I have seen it with my own eyes were it comes out and never goes back .

if you don't no a western personally who has not been rep off dose not mean it dose not happen and it dose I have seen it with my own eyes.

yes people do Marry to show loyalty to there parents but you don't need to Get married to do that do you .

living together with someone is a lot better then getting married because you can just walk away if it turns to s??? .

you don't need  a marriage  certificate to make it work.

Have you really seen it or is it what you have read and now firmly belive it has actually happened. You really belive all westerners get ripped off. I can assure you they do not. 

By right and following Thai Culture....Sin Sod is only for virgins! Period. Get her to follow you for a medical check up. If she is a confirmed virgin, then pay sin sod. If she is not, let the whole world around her family or village know and then just scram. Lol! Most of the time, the girls dating farangs are normally never a virgin as they are most probably leftovers that have been used by the thai lads many times and no one wants now...so its for the farangs.

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

Your statement was not a spoken opinion, it was a stated directive. Ordering people about is not a freedom. 

respectfully, i disagree with your opinion. A statement is never a command nor directive...

By right and following Thai Culture....Sin Sod is only for virgins! Period. Get her to follow you for a medical check up. If she is a confirmed virgin, then pay sin sod. If she is not, let the whole world around her family or village know and then just scram. Lol! Most of the time, the girls dating farangs are normally never a virgin as they are most probably leftovers that have been used by the thai lads many times and no one wants now...so its for the farangs.

Shout it from the rooftops!
[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I've read all the replies and i appreciate them all.. I've blocked the girl in question..

I've also been speaking to another woman.. and she's been on my LINE for a few weeks and we chat sometimes. Anyway i mentioned i would like to find a reasonable studio apartment room to rent in Bangkok.. about 10,000 baht a month for 3 months. The first thing she says is "Why not a condo".... 

Do you think it's common knowledge amongst the working classes that they can get a huge kickback from real estate companies if thy get a farang customer for them?

Why can't they just accept me as a regular guy from the UK with a normal income they always have to "take the p*ss". I'm not a guy that can afford a 30,000baht a month sukhumvit villa.. and they think all white guys are like that.

21 hours ago, anotheruser said:

If you are okay giving large amounts of money to save face that is your choice. Sounds like a run around piece of nonsense to me.Next thing you know you will be calling an exorcist to get ghosts out of your toaster.

First never said it was a large amount. Second do you know how to read?? The money was given back to me the next day so I gave nothing away.  I guess you dont believe in Christmas having to spend all that money on gifts to give away.

If we get a ghost in our toaster then yes my wife will call an exorcist!  As the saying goes "up to her" if she wants to believe in ghosts and all that stuff.  

29 minutes ago, cheapskatesam said:

I've read all the replies and i appreciate them all.. I've blocked the girl in question..

I've also been speaking to another woman.. and she's been on my LINE for a few weeks and we chat sometimes. Anyway i mentioned i would like to find a reasonable studio apartment room to rent in Bangkok.. about 10,000 baht a month for 3 months. The first thing she says is "Why not a condo".... 

Do you think it's common knowledge amongst the working classes that they can get a huge kickback from real estate companies if thy get a farang customer for them?

Why can't they just accept me as a regular guy from the UK with a normal income they always have to "take the p*ss". I'm not a guy that can afford a 30,000baht a month sukhumvit villa.. and they think all white guys are like that.

whats the big deal about saying about a condo?? A condo is actually cheaper with lower elec costs per KW compared to an apartment. However some owner increase the elec bill so you need to watch out for that.  I stayed in many condos in BKK easy to find out for 10-12K per month depending on where that can be a studio or 1 bedroom.  Also who cares if she get a commission if she finds a place for you, you're not paying the commission the owner is. 

You may be right regarding the Condo.. but why did she suggest it when you lives in a nice big apartment studio.. so why can't i?

Anyway.. any feeling of friendship or the possibility of more goes out the window once she has indicated to me she's just sniffed out an opportunity to make some baht off my back