Married in the UK

wood

Greetings and a Happy New Year to all.

i think I know most of the answers, but, wanting to get any latest information that may be out there.

I am British and  have been married to a wonderful Thai lady for 20 years, she is also a British citizen for nearly all of our marriage ( which was in the UK) and we have lived in the UK for all our time together.

We are  at our  home in Bangkok and during this extended stay, she would like to change her Identity card to our married name.

I appreciate there are both pros and cons to do this, but the decision has now been taken to undertake the process.

The marriage has never been registered in thailand as there has never been any need to do this, so we only have the UK marriage certificate.

Would any kind person advise the latest procedure for her to do this.

I have read through the various past posts, but would really appreciate some advise that is current and up to date.

Cheers

Wood

Hi Wood,

you need to get your marriage certificate and your passport translated into Thai and then stamped at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to be made into a legal document.

Once this is done present them at your Amphur and they will register it on the system for you and you can then change the I'd card. No problems.

The easiest way to do this is use a translation shop and pay a bit extra and they will take and get the documents stamped for you and then post to your address. You do not need to leave your passport with them, just a copy.

HL

Thanks HL,

Nice of you to reply.....

Will they accept a UK marriage certificate at the bangkok MFA , I have read a few older posts which seemed to suggest that the UK marriage certificate would need to be presented to the Thai embassy in London for validation ?

Cheers

Wood

I asked my wife who is involved with this sort of thing in her work and although she can't say categorically about the U.K. Certificate, she has seen other countries present their certificates and had them accepted ok.

When it boils down to it the MFA is generally just stamping to say that the translation is correct. May I suggest that you pay a visit to the Amphur that you will be using for the I'd card, and ask them exactly what they require and then you will know for sure.

HL

• 11 months later...

Update on the current process to change the Thai ID  card and passport to the UK married name.

This job has all been completed satisfactorily.

If it assists any UK citizens to undertake the process, here's the latest procedure.

We had an original UK marriage certificate and took it to the MFA at Chang wattana.

Went into the appointment room, presented it to the official and he said " what is it", thought we would give it a chance while there on other business.

He politely explained to get it stamped at the UK FCO in Milton Keynes UK.

As we were due back in the UK soon, I rang up the FCO in the UK and they recommended to purchase a new up-to-date marriage certificate from the GSO ( general stationary office - part of the home office passport section).

And send that to them at the FCO, it was recommended to get the new one since that may have trouble validating the original registrar signature from 20 years ago...it may delay matters? 

Anyway, got the new certificate (£30 something ) and it took 3 days to arrive.

Registered it on the online booking system at the FCO website and sent it off to get it stamped with the Apostile. ( this is the  important Home office stamp that is permanently affixed to the marriage certificate).

Got it back in 10 days and it cost £20 something.

Next job was to get it translated into Thai in the UK and then take it to the Thai embassy in london, make sure you take the original Apostiled  marriage certificate with you as well as the thai translation.

They keep both 2 days and return both with their Embassy stamp clearly affixed to both the translation and original with the apostile also stamped.

This is now what you must take to the MFA in Bangkok.

They will keep both the translation and the original UK certficate with Apostile for 24 hours to check and affix their MFA stamp.

All are returned to you upon collection and all are stamped.

These are what you and your wife together need to take to the wife's Amphur - 2 hours later, you ( the wife) will be presented with a few forms to sign and then she will be issued with a new Thai identity card with the new married name upon it.

Finally, this can be presented to the Bangkok passport office if your wife wishes to acquire a Thai passport with the Married name within.

It's all complete now and both her British passport and her Thai passport have identical names.

Very easy process but somewhat of a lengthy process.

Hope  it helps...

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 10:36 PM, wood said:

Update on the current process to change the Thai ID  card and passport to the UK married name.

This job has all been completed satisfactorily.

If it assists any UK citizens to undertake the process, here's the latest procedure.

We had an original UK marriage certificate and took it to the MFA at Chang wattana.

Went into the appointment room, presented it to the official and he said " what is it", thought we would give it a chance while there on other business.

He politely explained to get it stamped at the UK FCO in Milton Keynes UK.

As we were due back in the UK soon, I rang up the FCO in the UK and they recommended to purchase a new up-to-date marriage certificate from the GSO ( general stationary office - part of the home office passport section).

And send that to them at the FCO, it was recommended to get the new one since that may have trouble validating the original registrar signature from 20 years ago...it may delay matters? 

Anyway, got the new certificate (£30 something ) and it took 3 days to arrive.

Registered it on the online booking system at the FCO website and sent it off to get it stamped with the Apostile. ( this is the  important Home office stamp that is permanently affixed to the marriage certificate).

Got it back in 10 days and it cost £20 something.

Next job was to get it translated into Thai in the UK and then take it to the Thai embassy in london, make sure you take the original Apostiled  marriage certificate with you as well as the thai translation.

They keep both 2 days and return both with their Embassy stamp clearly affixed to both the translation and original with the apostile also stamped.

This is now what you must take to the MFA in Bangkok.

They will keep both the translation and the original UK certficate with Apostile for 24 hours to check and affix their MFA stamp.

All are returned to you upon collection and all are stamped.

These are what you and your wife together need to take to the wife's Amphur - 2 hours later, you ( the wife) will be presented with a few forms to sign and then she will be issued with a new Thai identity card with the new married name upon it.

Finally, this can be presented to the Bangkok passport office if your wife wishes to acquire a Thai passport with the Married name within.

It's all complete now and both her British passport and her Thai passport have identical names.

Very easy process but somewhat of a lengthy process.

Hope  it helps...

Great info. We are doing the same process now. Got up to the MFA part.