Video: Hunt on for foreigners who disrespected Thai flag

webfact

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

Seriously looking at that, a lot of tourists would not be aware that they were Thai flags. For starters they are hanging the wrong way around and to anyone else apart from a Thai , probably look like shopping mall decoration.

Agreed they are hanging the wrong way. But is it OK to go around pulling shopping  mall decorations down then?

I won't actually say what I really fell towards the people concerned as it would no doubt contriving some tv rule.

Edited by Deepinthailand

They are not kids- they are adults and apparently have enough money to travel abroad.  There are just too many foreigners coming to Thailand and acting out in so many ways. They do it in their own country and they think they can do it in Thailand. Every day the  news is filled with ignorant sods who come here and get into fights; become drunk and disorderly; overstay and are generally a pain in the arse.

One thing Thais really do not like are foreigners criticising the country; vandalizing their property and generally acting in a manner that shows disdain for local people and customs. It's time for it to stop!

1 minute ago, djayz said:

Why anybody would damage/destroy other people's property, flags or otherwise, at home or abroad, is beyond me. Vandals! Pure and simple. 

They do here probably what they do at home.....You cannot change a mindset...For sure they were larking around BUT not in their homeland.....

20,000bht each should do the trick and hopefully send a message to other rascals to leave their stuff at home...

The crystal ball readers and law and order quality farangs have conquered this thread now.

Do you all know that prostitution is against the law here in Thailand? 99% (yes, guessing!) of quality tourists and a lot of expats came here to break the law.

Yes, these 2 Italian losers have broken a basic law, namely damaging or destroying the property which does not belong to them. Yes, and they might have done it under the influence of alcohol, in most countries an aspect which is considered by the law. They could have done it in any country, also in their own. As they are obviously young, it is a question of education, so blame their parents.

Everything else like respect for the flag, standing during anthem, hand at the heart (US) I regard as opium for the people.

2 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

They are not kids- they are adults and apparently have enough money to travel abroad.  There are just too many foreigners coming to Thailand and acting out in so many ways. They do it in their own country and they think they can do it in Thailand. Every day the  news is filled with ignorant sods who come here and get into fights; become drunk and disorderly; overstay and are generally a pain in the arse.

One thing Thais really do not like are foreigners criticising the country; vandalizing their property and generally acting in a manner that shows disdain for local people and customs. It's time for it to stop!

I agree with most of what you said here. And you raise an interesting point... One thing Thais really do not like are foreigners criticising the country.... acting in a manner that shows disdain for local people and customs sounds like many posters to this very forum.... something that really annoys me! I mean what national group does like that? The Thai people are fantastic, on the whole like any other people anywhere, decent folk who want to treat you well. Yeah, they murder each other, seem to have a mai pen rai attitude to driving and have 'quirky laws', but this sort of stuff to a degree happens anywhere.  Good advice to young dickheads- if you come to Thailand looking for trouble, don't be surprised when trouble finds you, BIG time!

2 minutes ago, bermannor said:

Do you all know that prostitution is against the law here in Thailand? 99% (yes, guessing!) of quality tourists and a lot of expats came here to break the law.

I didn't know that ....can you quote the law?

You or anyone else can regard respect for the flag or patriotism or religion or anything else as the opium of the people. When you are in your own country- do what you want. You are in Thailand and expected to be a respectful visitor. You can have any opinion you want- but in Thailand the only opinion that counts is the Thai opinion.

2 minutes ago, bermannor said:

The crystal ball readers and law and order quality farangs have conquered this thread now.

Yes, these 2 Italian losers have broken a basic law, namely damaging or destroying the property which does not belong to them. Yes, and they might have done it under the influence of alcohol, in most countries an aspect which is considered by the law. They could have done it in any country, also in their own. As they are obviously young, it is a question of education, so blame their parents.

Everything else like respect for the flag, standing during anthem, hand at the heart (US) I regard as opium for the people.

A lot of people break the law in a lot of countries regarding paying for sexual services. But that does not insult a nation.

Pulling someone's national flag or symbol down and then walking all over it is an insult to a nation. Free speech - try doing that in most any country and see what happens to you.

Pissed up is no excuse either. Drunk and disorderly, vandalism, insulting the nation. Should be a couple of weeks in the Bangkok Hilton, large fine, deported and black listed.

34 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Stupid thing for these idiots to do though. A fine and visa ban is appropriate though, sending them to jail is going too far in my opinion.

I think they had enough punishment already...maybe it came from cheap copy copy alcohol? Who knows?

But it's amazing how efficient and fast the Thai police can work sometimes, i wished they could write fines on the roads this fast so the fatal traffic accidents would be gone in 3 days. 

Why respect?They don't respect their own. Look at the rubbish. Thais also don't respect countries they visit. Wasn't there a case about 2 years ago regarding Thais throwing their food container/boxes all over the place? Switzerland was the country I recall. Okay the 2 guys did wrong but a slap on the wrist and revoke their visa is a good enough punishment. Jail for what they did is going too far.

Edited by sinbin

1 minute ago, boomerangutang said:

I've gone to parks in Thailand and seen plastic and paper trash strewn all over.

Same after any outdoor concert or event in Thailand.

If you care for a country, you don't trash it.  To me, trashing nature is worse than farting around with a piece of colored cloth.

exactly but you won't get the Born Again Thais (BATs) to think this is even half as bad as those stupid farangs. Fine them and that's it all this self-righteous drama is hypocritical nationalist xenophobia which, by the way, i loathe in any country 

1 minute ago, sinbin said:

Why respect? Thais don't respect countries they visit. Wasn't there a case about 2 years ago regarding Thais throwing their food container/boxes all over the place? Switzerland was the country I recall. Okay the 2 guys did wrong but a slap on the wrist and revoke their visa is a good enough punishment. Jail for what they did is going too far.

No, no, no! A couple of Thais did not respect their foreign environment on that occasion. Don't generalize like that! A couple of Poms mess up in Bangkok does not make all Poms bad. I agree that jail time for a flag thing is overkill, just boot them out, fair enough. 

Of all the things that Thais should get excited about, they choose this one and over-react by looking forward to seeing two stupid foreigners locked up for it.  Meanwhile horrendous road accidents, murders, rapes, child abuse, corruption and other crimes seem to be accepted as a normal way of life and often go (relatively speaking) unpunished.  

2 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

No, no, no! A couple of Thais did not respect their foreign environment on that occasion.

2 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

It was more than a couple of Thais it was a whole tour group.

3 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Of all the things that Thais should get excited about, they choose this one and over-react by looking forward to seeing two stupid foreigners locked up for it.  Meanwhile horrendous road accidents, murders, rapes, child abuse, corruption and other crimes seem to be accepted as a normal way of life and often go (relatively speaking) unpunished.  

No... they do not choose this one and over-react... it's the media. Get it? The media! 

7 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Minimum 30 days in Thai Prison for disrespecting 

the Thai Flag, another 30 days for being so stupid!!

60 days for stupidity should do it.

Why should anyone show respect for a piece of cloth with some colours on it? 

How about show respect for the feelings of your hosts? For real people, not for a piece of fabric!

21 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I've gone to parks in Thailand and seen plastic and paper trash strewn all over.

If you care for a country, you don't trash it.  To me, trashing nature is worse than farting around with a piece of colored cloth.

You won't see any litter on sukhumvitroad...and there are no bins to be found...

It's just some idiots vandalizing. Okay, so they're flags, but once you start taking that personally, that's when it becomes a problem. Some drunk idiots tearing down flags isn't the end of the world. Flags are just cloth with colour. If you start seeing them as too much of a symbol and people trying to destroy and undermine your way of life, you have a very wobbly way of life. 

I remember a TV show where they invited different nationalities to a hotel by the sea for free. They were doing a social experiment with different nationalities but the guests didn't know. They did stuff like have people shower naked by the pool to see how different nationalities reacted. Some were shocked, some were loving it, and some were outright offended. They had one where the different nationalities would find their flag burned. Some nationalities were in tears. Some were just confused and like "What's that all about" and quickly moved on. If that would bring you to tears, you'd have to ask where your priorities lie. 

If someone burned my flag and said "I hate your country" I'd like "Okay, good for you". I would absolutely not get offended. We live in a world where people are starving, systemic corruption and people killing over religion. Let's not get too carried away with this notion that we're special because we have a flag and a identity. 

Find the perps, give them a fine and a warning and move on with your life. It's way too short. Be offended by the people telling you to be offended. 

Exactly. Maybe charge for drunken vandalism but too much emotion attached to a flag causes wars.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

22 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Meanwhile horrendous road accidents, murders, rapes, child abuse, corruption and other crimes seem to be accepted as a normal way of life and often go (relatively speaking) unpunished.  

Not sure whether accidents should be punished , but murders , rapes , child abuse and other crimes are punished .

Crime isnt a normal way of life in Thailand and punishments for commuting a crime in Thailand are usually quite severe

34 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Littering is worse than vandalism and insulting behavior ?

So, some Thai people drop litter , so , its OK to vandalise ?

Why are you comparing the two ?

What difference does it make if you think one crime is worse then the other ?