If Thai lady marrys in oz can she still buy or own land in Thailand

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, The Fat Controller said:

I had to sign a form at the land office in Ubon when my wife bought land last April, our marriage is properly registered

Correct same as in my case I've signed already, this is all what they are asking for, in case of buying or selling land when you are legally married.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:04 PM, blackcab said:

She can buy land with no restrictions at all. The only thing is that if the marriage is registered in Thailand she might have to get her husband to sign a piece of paper at the land office acknowledging the property is hers. 

The last part can be a tester of true love. 

Wife has dual passports i.e. Thai and Australia, she owns about 5 land parcels in the village, never had an issue in the 10 years we have been together, also I have never had to sign off on anything, might have to do with us having a village wedding and not one in an official registry, although the main town government office where she did the blue book has recognised us as being married in the village & Australia, whatever that means ?

1 hour ago, Phuketboy said:

She is Thai, why wouldn't she be able to buy land in Thailand?  She can buy whatever she wants in HER name.  

If she gave up her Thai citizenship to be an Australian citizen then she would lose her rights In Thailand as well as buying land.

She would need dual passports to retain both countries of residence.

I knew an Aussie guy  - wanted to build, but needed a Thai front for the land. Mate of his in Oz was married to a Thai girl and she said 'no problem - I'll help you out.' And it was no problem, until after x number of years she split with her husband and returned to LOS. I'll let you guess the rest.

Yeah.... The document you sign at the Land Office. It's all in Thai. It doesn't ask about the marriage being official.  It states that the money used is hers. Anyone who has been told this should get the paper you signed translated. But, then again you don't have a copy eh?

3 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I would suggest that she retain her Thai passport and retain her Thai family name.

Makes no difference. My ex Thai wife had a Thai Passport, in her maiden name. Her Thai ID she had in her married name and also an Aussie passport in her married name. Seems they can choose which way they want to go.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Yeah.... The document you sign at the Land Office. It's all in Thai. It doesn't ask about the marriage being official.  It states that the money used is hers. Anyone who has been told this should get the paper you signed translated. But, then again you don't have a copy eh?

Doesn't really matter what language it's in.  It doesn't and never has stood up in court. i.e. it's not recognised as a legal document.

2 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

and she said 'no problem - I'll help you out.'

She sure did. Sometimes things in life have a double meaning and you read the meaning according to your mental frame of mind at the time. You really should closely exam what your doing before walking through the doorway. After the door slams shut it could be locked from the other side. 

3 hours ago, twizzian said:

If she gave up her Thai citizenship to be an Australian citizen then she would lose her rights In Thailand as well as buying land.

She would need dual passports to retain both countries of residence.

There is no need to give up her Thai citizenship when she marries someone from Australia or the UK and would be crazy to do so.  I am both an Australian and UK citizen.  My daughter has both Thai and Australian (she could of had Thai and UK if she wanted) and my wife is in the middle of getting her Australian which will give her both as well (she also could have gone the other way and got her UK citizenship).  You would be crazy to give up the citizenship of your birth country.    

Edited by Phuketboy

1 hour ago, lungnorm said:

Makes no difference. My ex Thai wife had a Thai Passport, in her maiden name. Her Thai ID she had in her married name and also an Aussie passport in her married name. Seems they can choose which way they want to go.

If she keeps dual citizenship or only Thai citizenship she can buy land in Thailand. If she however becomes an Australian citizen and denounce her Thai citizenship she becomes a foreigner in the eye of the law and cant buy land. A marriage dont influence her citizenship and thus her right to own land. In your case your wifes next passport will be in her married name, because when she apply they will ask for her ID card which will be in her married name. 

1 hour ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If she keeps dual citizenship or only Thai citizenship she can buy land in Thailand. If she however becomes an Australian citizen and denounce her Thai citizenship she becomes a foreigner in the eye of the law and cant buy land. A marriage dont influence her citizenship and thus her right to own land. In your case your wifes next passport will be in her married name, because when she apply they will ask for her ID card which will be in her married name. 

Well she has bought 3 small plots of farmland over the years after she gained Australian citizenship, don't ask me how but she did. Maybe she bought it in her father or sisters names I do not know. I do know she bought them after gaining Australian citizenship.

..yes no problems. I'm from Australia and wife is now an Australian citizen and has retained her thai passport and ID Card. we have a plot and house and it is all in her name. I had to sign a disclaimer to say funds aren't provided by me and I waiver all rights to the place.Tambian ban - register house is in her name and she has to report me (alien) staying in her house that I paid for each time we visit. All good and works ok. Cheers Pete

8 hours ago, NickJ said:

Who need it? This paper is complete BS. If you and your wife divorce you still own 50% of the property or land if it was bought after you was married. If she would hold the house/land she have to pay you out at the market price.

But only with a real registered marriage!!!

Edited by snowgard

55 minutes ago, ericthai said:

The paper you sign is confirming the money for the land is not from you and that you understand that you have no legal ownership in the land.

Only for stupid farangs!!! EVERYTHING what is bought after the marriage is 50/50!!!

Ask a lawyer or use Google and you will see I told the true!!!

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

The paper you sign is confirming the money for the land is not from you and that you understand that you have no legal ownership in the land.

Absolutely untrue.  As already said, the document you sign at the land office is not worth the paper it's written on.  Not accepted in any court of the land.  Marital laws on property, i.e. sin som ros , is the relevant law.