new pickup

black fox

i was thinking about buying a ford but now im leaning towards toyota or mitsubishi triton, my problem is the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.8 engines in the toyota my question is about the power and fuel economy between the two.any imput would be appreciated,also im unsure about the prices and if i can get any discount.

Both have enough power. The Triton has the more modern engine with better fuel economy. The Triton has not such a nice interior (to my opinion) and a lower resale value.

Do you have also checked the models from Nissan and Ford? The Mazda is not a bad choice but an old model.

since my initial post i visited toyota and for 2.4e at the basic price is 889,000, with tax red plate etc total was 899,700,they offered 70,000 discount leaving a grand total of 829,700,my preference for toyota is the higher resale value plus they seem to sell easier and faster,i would like to get other peoples views on this .

15 hours ago, black fox said:

my preference for toyota is the higher resale value plus they seem to sell easier and faster,

In my experience not always the case, can mostly be done if there top spec model and even then s/h is hard to sell unless your prepared to take a big loss and sell it cheap.

You don't state where you are situated or what type of driving you will be doing.

If you are just going to plod around the local district anyone power wise will do. If on the other hand you will be driving through any hilly parts or need it to overtake rapidly you will need the more powerful set up.

Having driven both the Toyota 2.4 and the 2.8 also the 2.2 & 3.2 Ford. There's is a vast difference power wise the lesser size ones in my honest opinion are at best slugs.

I would go as far as to say that not even worth thinking about.

The Nissan 2.5 is an ok buy but that dose need a chip to get it going at any speed their also very good fuel wise. As I said have test drives and see how you get on. Best of luck.  

i ordered new toyota today,regarding power im currently driving 2.2 mazda and theres plenty of power so i think with a 2.4 i should be ok but thanks anyway for everybodies imput.

You do know that power output is the relevant factor, not engine size?

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

• 4 weeks later...

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd bung my question in this one.

My brother-in-law is thinking about buying a new truck and asked my advice on what to get. He really likes the Ranger XLT 2.2 MT but I'm worried about it being a bit expensive when compared to what else is available. He want's an 'open cab' model.

When I did a recent search, there were 2 things that I insisted on or the truck wasn't considered - Airbags and ABS.

Here's my list in order of preference:

1. Mitsu 2.5D GLX 5MT - [128PS, c320NM] 614,000 THB

2. Mitsu Plus 2.4D MIVEC GLX 6MT - [181PS, 430NM] 687,000 THB

3. Nissan King Cab VGMT - [163PS, 403NM] - 694,000 THB

4. Chevy X-CAB 2.5L VGT LT Z71 MT - [180PS, 440NM] 699,000 THB

5. Toyota Smart Cab 2.4J - [150PS, 343NM] 659,000 THB

6. Isuzu D-Max 1.9Ddi Z Spacecab - [150PS, 350NM] 706,000 THB

7. Ford XLS [125PS, 320NM] 699,000 THB

8. Ford XLT [160PS, 385NM] 754,000 THB

9. Mazda FSC 2.2 HiRacer ABS [150PS, 375NM] 748,000 THB

I'd be interested if anyone has has success getting any discounts on any of these models and also if there are cheaper models available with ABS & airbags that I missed.

Not to sound like a Toyota fanboy, but when I was doing their (TMAP-MS) comparison tests (2 years ago) with this hilux my independent test-drivers never got the truck to behave like this, and they drove it extremely hard.

Nevertheless, the Ford Ranger came out on top with the Isuzu Dmax in second place....

ive now had my new toyota 4 weeks and despite staying in the local area cos of the red plates its been used every day and im very pleased with it and confident i made the right choice (for me and my needs) no probs whatsoever,id like to thank everybody for their interest and imput.

Not to sound like a Toyota fanboy, but when I was doing their (TMAP-MS) comparison tests (2 years ago) with this hilux my independent test-drivers never got the truck to behave like this, and they drove it extremely hard.
Nevertheless, the Ford Ranger came out on top with the Isuzu Dmax in second place....

I'm surprised the Isuzu was that well regarded unless it was only 3 trucks in the line up. My missus had one for a week recently and said it felt sluggish and 'dead' compared to our WT.

Yup we were also surprised, but in the overall score it came out second. Test trucks were Triton, Ranger W/T, Dmax, BT50, Hilux Old and New...no Navara.

We also did a comparison test with the new Fortuner 2 years ago...Everest outclassed all, second place was again Isuzu MUX :)

Yup we were also surprised, but in the overall score it came out second. Test trucks were Triton, Ranger W/T, Dmax, BT50, Hilux Old and New...no Navara.
We also did a comparison test with the new Fortuner 2 years ago...Everest outclassed all, second place was again Isuzu MUX :)

Surely the Mazda would've come second as it's almost the same as the Ranger?

On 2/9/2017 at 6:19 PM, JaseTheBass said:

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd bung my question in this one.

My brother-in-law is thinking about buying a new truck and asked my advice on what to get. He really likes the Ranger XLT 2.2 MT but I'm worried about it being a bit expensive when compared to what else is available. He want's an 'open cab' model.

When I did a recent search, there were 2 things that I insisted on or the truck wasn't considered - Airbags and ABS.

Here's my list in order of preference:

1. Mitsu 2.5D GLX 5MT - [128PS, c320NM] 614,000 THB

2. Mitsu Plus 2.4D MIVEC GLX 6MT - [181PS, 430NM] 687,000 THB

3. Nissan King Cab VGMT - [163PS, 403NM] - 694,000 THB

4. Chevy X-CAB 2.5L VGT LT Z71 MT - [180PS, 440NM] 699,000 THB

5. Toyota Smart Cab 2.4J - [150PS, 343NM] 659,000 THB

6. Isuzu D-Max 1.9Ddi Z Spacecab - [150PS, 350NM] 706,000 THB

7. Ford XLS [125PS, 320NM] 699,000 THB

8. Ford XLT [160PS, 385NM] 754,000 THB

9. Mazda FSC 2.2 HiRacer ABS [150PS, 375NM] 748,000 THB

I'd be interested if anyone has has success getting any discounts on any of these models and also if there are cheaper models available with ABS & airbags that I missed.

A year ago when I was looking at purchasing a second pickup, I focused on again on Toyota and Isuzu because of market share here in Thailand. The pickup needed to be inexpensive but it had to have ABS.  I ended up purchasing a Toyota Hilux Revo Smart Cab 4x2 2.4J and at the time it listed for around 619,000 THB, if memory serves me correctly.  (NOTE: That pickup today lists on the Toyota Thailand website at 599,000 THB (http://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/hilux_revo_smart_cab).)  At the time the cheapest Isuzu that I could purchase with ABS cost about 100,000 THB more.

Short of a slight rattle in 3rd and 5th gear and only at a certain RPM (NOTE: This has recently been rectified) it has been a really good truck.  It is quick (for what it is), quiet, handles nice, and has great fuel mileage range.  I have been able to consistently get about 1,000 kilometers (km) per tank of fuel.

I think the Toyota Hilux Revo Smart Cab 4x2 2.4J is a good value and worthy of consideration.