Eight Reasons Thailand Is The Best Digital Nomad Destination

theguyfromanotherforum

58 minutes ago, balo said:

They are both , and you can also include Asians like the Japanese .  

I work as a "digital nomad" myself , I'm over 50 so I do not hang out with the younger people. 

And I do not pay tax in Thailand , why should I ? I pay tax in my home country, my income is not in Thailand. I receive my salary in Europe into a bank account there. I use my laptop and connect remotely to my home country , it doesnt matter if I stay in Thailand or anywhere else..   

Then I spend my money here , to support the Thai economy .  This is legal as long as you have a visa to stay here. 

But do you chant that face 2 face Balo?

No arguement anyway more power to you. Sounds like a better decision than your choice of team.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Judging by a lot of posts and topics I don't see a lot of bloggers or coders on here.

Digital nomads are usually younger.

Their demographic regards forums like these as having gone "out" around the same time as Windows XP.

Add to that the general perception that Thaivisa is full of whinging dinosaurs and they'd much rather post on things like Reddit or participate in Facebook groups where people tend to be younger and a little more open-minded.

its always the same story, work permit this work permit that, tax this and that,

why cant people live and let live,?

ive laid over 300 blocks these last few days building our crayfish ponds, do i need a work permit?

live your life and let others live theres,

good luck to all who can make a few quid in this world

28 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Digital nomads are usually younger.

Their demographic regards forums like these as having gone "out" around the same time as Windows XP.

Add to that the general perception that Thaivisa is full of whinging dinosaurs and they'd much rather post on things like Reddit or participate in Facebook groups where people tend to be younger and a little more open-minded.

So you say. I think that perception is the initial one and the growth rates of less traditional digital nomad paths will become much more abundant. 

5 minutes ago, bkkrooftop said:

same old farts that are irritated with life trying to bring up the visa rules. 

maybe u guys should get out more, or try meditation.. u might not be so damn negative

Very true

These dinosaurs have forgotten what it feels like to have joie de vivre.

Younger folks don't give a shit about visas.

To them, 6 months or a year in Thailand, meeting new people, eating good, cheap food and enjoying all sorts of new activities looks like a fantastic adventure.

The fact that they can fund that by working online only adds to the allure.

They're not coming here to fret about how they're going afford maintenance of their replacement hip joint or whinge about Truevisions' axing BBC Entertainment.

They're not necessarily looking to commit to being here until they kick the bucket either so a couple of back-to-back tourist visas will do the trick.

If they want to stay longer, many will cross that bridge if and when they come to it........like most younger people do.

That's right -- used to able to get a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa. Now single entry 60 day visa from embassy/consulate in neighboring country -- then 30 day extension from immigration. Repeat as necessary. Not mentioned in the Forbes article for all the aspiring digital nomads who read Forbes.

My brother's son has a PhD in computer science, is assistant professor at a large US University, travels the world as an expert in cyber security, has already done work for the NSA and the Defense Department.

He's 32 years old and we get along fine. So while it's great that some can travel the world, work online, and stay in Thailand with a couple of visas and extensions, I don't see how they should be looked at as something  that us older folks should look on with awe and say what a great joie de vivre.
Edited by JLCrab

Isn't a "Nomad" somebody who travels from place to place?

I wouldn't call somebody who lives in the same place Year after year a "Nomad", Teleworker feels more like it but I guess that isn't as Cool sounding.

Oh & I wouldn't call somebody who makes a living peddling stuff on eBay a "Digital" anything either (not criticising what they're doing, good look to them, but it's hardly a "Digital" occupation.

20 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

That's right -- used to able to get a 2 or 3 entry tourist visa. Now single entry 60 day visa from embassy/consulate in neighboring country -- then 30 day extension from immigration. Repeat as necessary. Not mentioned in the Forbes article for all the aspiring digital nomads who read Forbes.

My brother's son has a PhD in computer science, is assistant professor at a large US University, travels the world as an expert in cyber security, has already done work for the NSA and the Defense Department.

He's 32 years old and we get along fine. So while it's great that some can travel the world, work online, and stay in Thailand with a couple of visas and extensions, I don't see how they should be looked at as something  that us older folks should look on with awe and say what a great joie de vivre.

Joie de vivre has absolutely nothing to do with what people do.

It refers to how they choose to approach their lives.

Older people tend to be more concerned with security and risk mitigation

Younger people are more likely to take a punt on life.

I've read on here that the digital nomad lifestyle is something that the dinosaurs who punched a time clock all their lives should somehow be in awe. I see their approach to life. No thanks. 

Edited by JLCrab

1 minute ago, JLCrab said:

I've read on here that the digital nomad lifestyle is something that the dinosaurs who punched a time clock all their lives should somehow be in awe. be in awe. No thanks. 

You may have read but clearly you didn't understand

4 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

You may have read but clearly you didn't understand

Aw shucks -- I am so disappointed.

There used to be a frequent poster on ThaiVisa who would say: "The reason you disagree with me is that you're too stupid to understand what I'm saying."

So I've heard it before.

Edited by JLCrab

2 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Aw shucks -- I am so disappointed.

There used to be a frequent poster on ThaiVisa who would say: The reason you disagree with me is that you're too stupid to understand what I'm saying. So I've heard it before.

Who am I to argue in the face of such consensus?

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Thank you. There may some genuine high-level IT talent among those sitting in the Thai coffee shops with their computers online -- but I would say they are the exception. Those with real talent don't have to.

Who cares what you'd say?

3 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Who cares what you'd say?

Maybe nobody -- but I'll say it anyway 'cause it ain't your show. And the article says that Thailand is the BEST digital nomad destination so if some want to stay a short while and go elsewhere, then at least according to the article they ain't staying in the best destination.

Edited by JLCrab

21 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I don't want to either. I had to do something to get a visa to stay here for the past year and a half or so. So I got a TE I have no intention of being here another 3.5 years. They don't give many other options for people under 50. That news may come as a shock to you.

So as you can see the article ignores one of the most important things for a digital nomad which would be easy visas.

It only costs B20k for the coveted Overstay Visa and the OV can be combined with any other visa to allow you a longer stay and avoid the additional  penalties.

I happened to wander across some online blog posts by supposed digital nomads in CM recently, when I was doing some checking on METVs.  At least from the posts I was reading by that particular group of folks, they seemed to be pretty skint, as there was a considerable discussion going on about how they could struggle to scrape together enough funds to meet the METV's $7000 U.S. in the bank requirement.

11 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It only costs B20k for the coveted Overstay Visa and the OV can be combined with any other visa to allow you a longer stay and avoid the additional  penalties.

Sure there is more than one way to skin a cat. I personally don't take the chance of being thrown into IDC and blacklisted but for others this might be a palatable choice. For some the savings is worth the risk.

That boat sailed in. March last year, overstay now & you risk a stay in IDC, overstay by more than 90 days & you'll get blacklisted http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/thailand-blacklist-for-foreigners-who-overstay-visas/

Given its getting harder to use Visa Exempt (max 2 per year at land crossings) & Tourist Visas I wouldn't want an overstay stamp in my passport, certainly not more than 1.

On 10/1/2017 at 4:01 PM, anotheruser said:

The visa really isn't that big of a deal. If you are a digital nomad and earn even somewhat decent money you should be able to afford a 5 year TE assuming you aren't over 50. The 100,000 a year is a small cost of doing business as everything else is so cheap according to the article. 

If you don't earn enough to lay out for a visa whatever kind it is to live here then you are a digital refugee not a digital nomad. 

Digital nomads tend to be young people who have not yet grown out of that narcissistic phase - invariably they are still living off a trust fund set up by the bank of daddy and mommy but pretend that they have coded their way into their life style. Most grow out of this phase by the time they are 50, even if it is because they realise the impossibility of making real money that way.

21 minutes ago, JB300 said:

That boat sailed in. March last year, overstay now & you risk a stay in IDC, overstay by more than 90 days & you'll get blacklisted http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/thailand-blacklist-for-foreigners-who-overstay-visas/

Given its getting harder to use Visa Exempt (max 2 per year at land crossings) & Tourist Visas I woukdnt like to have an overstay in my passport, certainly not more than 1.

If some people find over staying and using visa exempts to still be a useful way of living in Thailand who are we to say anything? Even in the worst case scenario they end up in the IDC. At least they are still able to be in Thailand right?

Edited by anotheruser

On 1/10/2017 at 8:31 AM, Diplomatico said:

And here is a quite different perspective by an actual digital nomad that spent time in Chiang Mai.  Excerpt:

"I was skeptical about the DN community here, and I was right about it. It's a pyramid scheme. It's a bunch of people selling each other shit to supplement their income."

and

"Nomad workshops, nomad conferences, nomad gear, nomad retreat, people giving talks to gullible people to build a following they can sell shit to."

https://www.reddit.com/r/digitalnomad/comments/5lkf2i/chiang_mai_reviewed_by_a_skeptic/

(Kudos to TVF member mamborobert for the original link.)

Indeed. Johnny FD has as a major source of income telling people how to be digital nomads!

I feel both jealous & sorry for guys trying to make it in IT nowadays.

Jealous because of the tools & processing power they have available (my 1st paid programming work was in 1988, Cobol on a mainframe & we were given 2 x 1 hours a day "Terminal Time", rest of the day was spent reviewing the compiler/test results & planning what you were going to do during your next hour).

Sorry because in 1996 it was easy to earn £5-600 per day as a VB/C++ programmer (rates went insane coming up to the milenium), next to no tax (no IR45), 20 years later most of the jobs have been offshored & the going rate for a contractor can be below £200 per day.

I remember working at a computer shop early 1980's that had mostly oil & gas exploration clients when we got our first 19.2 baud line in for clients -- previously the high speed line was 9600 baud. Dial-up lines were 4800 baud.

I also remember starting to work in PRChina late 1980's when all communication to Chinese government agencies from USA  had to be done by TELEX.

Edited by JLCrab

2 hours ago, JB300 said:

Isn't a "Nomad" somebody who travels from place to place?

I wouldn't call somebody who lives in the same place Year after year a "Nomad", Teleworker feels more like it but I guess that isn't as Cool sounding.

Oh & I wouldn't call somebody who makes a living peddling stuff on eBay a "Digital" anything either (not criticising what they're doing, good look to them, but it's hardly a "Digital" occupation.

To successfully sell on eBay or indeed anywhere online, you need to know how to do digital marketing, design, coding, SEO and a whole slew of other 'digital' skills.  

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

Sure there is more than one way to skin a cat. I personally don't take the chance of being thrown into IDC and blacklisted but for others this might be a palatable choice. For some the savings is worth the risk.

This was meant as a joke.

To successfully sell on eBay or indeed anywhere online, you need to know how to do digital marketing, design, coding, SEO and a whole slew of other 'digital' skills.  

Fair call, I was thinking more about when my-ex used to do quite a bit of eBaying 10+ years ago but I guess it was always a (Quite lucrative) sideline for her.

If you're doing it as a main source of income, selling high volumes of the same/similar products then I can see how you would want to automate as much as possible & ensure you rank highly in the searches.