Eight Reasons Thailand Is The Best Digital Nomad Destination

theguyfromanotherforum

57 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

This forum is here for people to engage in discussion.

It doesn't matter whether the issues being discussed are anyone's business.

That's none of your business either.

you go round in circles, my dear chap, but let's not discuss that as it's none of my business 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

I'm not into the Digital Nomad scene but if these western folks can't make 50k THB at least per month then I dunno, they must be doing something fundamentally wrong. But no matter if it's 20k or 200k, I think they are clearly a net plus for the Thai economy. Nobody said they are a big advantages, they are miniscule compared to the tourist, car, manufacturing etc industries. Doesn't negate the fact that they are a positive thing.

You not having any troubles to get a work permit is nice if you work for a local company. But these folks are working for foreign companies for which it is impossible to get a work permit. It shouldn't need to be made easier for them to get visa+work permit, it should be possible in the first place.

The global trend is to make it more difficult? On a global scale... maybe. The other countries around Thailand seem to make it easier. And even if everyone was to make it more difficult, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. "A thousand flies can't be wrong"?

The Forbes article of the OP has CM on #5 with

" Total monthly budget: $1,000 per person (36,380 Thai baht) "

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/01/11/quit-your-job-and-live-abroad-places-so-cheap-you-might-not-need-to-work/#512afe34d347

If other countries make getting a work permit easy, why stay in Thailand and complain?

1 hour ago, rubl said:

first an attack then an 'innocent people'  and ending with a mere suggestion of someone being obsessed.

Anyway, watch the movie Tron for real digital nomads and lost bits :smile:

Thanks bro, but I think I've already seen it.

Maybe someone should make a movie about Thailand-based digital nomads. You could play the part of the fumbling Thai immigration officer; I could be the digital smart arse who manages to stay one step ahead of you. I guess Jessica Alba could be my love interest.  

I'm not into the Digital Nomad scene but if these western folks can't make 50k THB at least per month then I dunno, they must be doing something fundamentally wrong. But no matter if it's 20k or 200k, I think they are clearly a net plus for the Thai economy. Nobody said they are a big advantages, they are miniscule compared to the tourist, car, manufacturing etc industries. Doesn't negate the fact that they are a positive thing.

You not having any troubles to get a work permit is nice if you work for a local company. But these folks are working for foreign companies for which it is impossible to get a work permit. It shouldn't need to be made easier for them to get visa+work permit, it should be possible in the first place.

The global trend is to make it more difficult? On a global scale... maybe. The other countries around Thailand seem to make it easier. And even if everyone was to make it more difficult, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. "A thousand flies can't be wrong"?

But it's not all positive as they drive up prices for things like accommodation for Thais.

What are the rental prices like in your capital city? Mine (London) are higher than Singapore & the reason for that is there's a disproportionate number of people there (lots of them immigrants) who earn more than the average salary & so drive up prices so much the average local can't afford to live there & has to move elsewhere.

Add to that the fact that they're not paying into the Tax system (please don't mention VAT/GST, that doesn't go towards social wealthfare or infrastructure) & I believe most of them are a net negative to the local economy/people

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

But for people who want to make money online with their own site or sites, the need to know a bunch of digital skills definitely comes into play.

Once again, you're hopelessly wrong. 

I have a client who makes over 1000 USD per day.He operates a slew of e-commerce websites selling business services and knows zilch about coding / programming. 

His companies are a major source of revenue for my company. He focuses only on the products he sells, and comes to me when things need tweaking. 

I also have much smaller clients who operate a single e-commerce website. They too don't involved with what goes on beneath the hood. They focus solely on the business and let my company handle the programming.  

53 minutes ago, rubl said:

The Forbes article of the OP has CM on #5 with

" Total monthly budget: $1,000 per person (36,380 Thai baht) "

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/01/11/quit-your-job-and-live-abroad-places-so-cheap-you-might-not-need-to-work/#512afe34d347

If other countries make getting a work permit easy, why stay in Thailand and complain?

That's a minimum monthly budget as I understand. Nobody wants to live on the minimum budget. Do you have some actual numbers about how much these people are contributing to the Thai economy and how much they are "using"?

Regarding your second paragraph about "why stay in Thailand and complain?": this is getting really silly. 5th grade style of argumentation. But let me help you: there's more to a country than work permits. And suggesting how things could be done better is a good thing.

27 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

I have a client who makes over 1000 USD per day.He operates a slew of e-commerce websites selling business services and knows zilch about coding / programming. 

His companies are a major source of revenue for my company. He focuses only on the products he sells, and comes to me when things need tweaking. 

I also have much smaller clients who operate a single e-commerce website. They too don't involved with what goes on beneath the hood. They focus solely on the business and let my company handle the programming.  

All for a fixed fee of?

17 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

I've been involved in the internet as a business platform for more than 20 years.  

As an example, from 1998 to 2001 I was the Regional Business Development Director for China.com which we listed on Nasdaq in 1999 at a valuation of 3/4 of a Billion USD.   

I know a think or two about doing business online and all things digital.

Your point is that you have clients who don't get involved with what is under the hood... my point is that unless you have the money to pay someone to do all that then you need to learn how to do it yourself.  
Making money online isn't as easy as some people claim, and paying someone to build your site and do all your marketing etc isn't an option for some people when they are starting out trying to make it online.

1 hour ago, JB300 said:

But it's not all positive as they drive up prices for things like accommodation for Thais.

What are the rental prices like in your capital city? Mine (London) are higher than Singapore & the reason for that is there's a disproportionate number of people there (lots of them immigrants) who earn more than the average salary & so drive up prices so much the average local can't afford to live there & has to move elsewhere.

Add to that the fact that they're not paying into the Tax system (please don't mention VAT/GST, that doesn't go towards social wealthfare or infrastructure) & I believe most of them are a net negative to the local economy/people

Please provide specific examples of immigrants or anybody who is doing this in london.

HMRC

Please provide specific examples of immigrants or anybody who is doing this in london.

HMRC

I don't need to, Google average rent prices in London then Google them for anywhere else you like to compare them with

Or easier still use https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ to compare

Or are you denying that average house prices in London are higher than the national average because average wealth there is higher than average?

And are you denying that there are any immigrants in London (I'll save you looking for it "At the 2011 census London had a population of 8,173,941. Of this number, 44.9% were White British. 37% of the population were born outside the UK, including 24.5% born outside of Europe" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London) & so by extension have more money to spend than or are competing with the average local & so are driving prices up?

NB this is not a rant about immigration, it's a statement about the fact that when people move to an area with more wealth than the locals they inevitably drive up prices (Aberdeen is possibly a better example)

What does Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs have to do with it???

25 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I've been involved in the internet as a business platform for more than 20 years.  

As an example, from 1998 to 2001 I was the Regional Business Development Director for China.com which we listed on Nasdaq in 1999 at a valuation of 3/4 of a Billion USD.   

I know a think or two about doing business online and all things digital.

Your point is that you have clients who don't get involved with what is under the hood... my point is that unless you have the money to pay someone to do all that then you need to learn how to do it yourself.  
Making money online isn't as easy as some people claim, and paying someone to build your site and do all your marketing etc isn't an option for some people when they are starting out trying to make it online.

Sean -- you're being mischievous.

I've just remembered who you are.

You're the guy who came to BKK from Hong Kong in 2008. You were constantly broke and lived with a hooker (at her place) in Sukhumwit Soi 20.

You do know who I am. Cast your mind back. You'll remember me.

The difference between me and you is I get things done. You talk way too much and invent obstacles.

What you did back in 1998 is of no interest to anyone. All that counts is what you're doing right now.  

Edited by Fabricus

1 minute ago, JB300 said:

I don't need to, Google average rent prices in London then Google them for anywhere else you like to compare them with

Or easy still use https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ to compare

Or are you denying that average house prices in London are higher than the national average because average wealth there is higher than average?

And are you denying that there are any immigrants in London (I'll save you looking for it "At the 2011 census London had a population of 8,173,941. Of this number, 44.9% were White British. 37% of the population were born outside the UK, including 24.5% born outside of Europe" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London) & so by extension have more money to spend than the average Brit & so are driving prices up?

NB this is not a rant about immigration, it's a statement about the fact that when people move to an area with more wealth than the locals they inevitably drive up prices (Aberdeen is possibly a better example)

What does Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs have to do with it???

Your stating that immigrants or a large proportion avoid paying tax whilst living in London. I am asking you to provide actual examples.  I await the answer.

HMRC are responsible for collecting tax.

London has become anything but average and it's proud of that status so what did you expect to happen?

London protects the work forces it needs. Link housing for core staff such as nurses and teachers is all available at a subsidised rate should it be required.

Mr Average don't live in Singapore, London or HK. He lives in the Midlands or the North East

But actually there's storage companies throughout London paying their staff 20k a year and I know a few lads who have been there 5+ years and pay 650 a month in rent. So who is Mr Average in London?

Luton is 20 minutes from london btw. If your so disappointed with the DNA then why stay?

Don't blame it all on the immigrants. Blame it on the greedy housing market and the lax laws regarding  property ownership by non residents. Blame it on banking. Blame it on yourself for not taking advantage of the opportunities which were on your doorstep if your Mr Avg. You had your foot in the door to be anything but Mr Average. Blame it on the UK government council house sell offs which made a lot of Londoners  near millionaires on paper. Blame it on our generation being short changed but stop looking for the obvious wrong answer and choosing to believe it.

Your stating that immigrants or a large proportion avoid paying tax whilst living in London. I am asking you to provide actual examples.  I await the answer.

HMRC are responsible for collecting tax.

London has become anything but average and it's proud of that status so what did you expect to happen?

London protects the work forces it needs. Link housing for core staff such as nurses and teachers is all available at a subsidised rate should it be required.

Mr Average don't live in Singapore, London or HK. He lives in the Midlands or the North East

But actually there's storage companies throughout London paying their staff 20k a year and I know a few lads who have been there 5+ years and pay 650 a month in rent. So who is Mr Average in London?

Luton is 20 minutes from london btw. If your so disappointed with the DNA then why stay?

Don't blame it all on the immigrants. Blame it on the greedy housing market and the lax laws regarding  property ownership by non residents. Blame it on banking. Blame it on yourself for not taking advantage of the opportunities which were on your doorstep if your Mr Avg. You had your foot in the door to be anything but Mr Average. Blame it on the UK government council house sell offs which made a lot of Londoners  near millionaires on paper. Blame it on our generation being short changed but stop looking for the obvious wrong answer and choosing to believe it.

Show me where I said anything about anybody evading or avoiding paying tax.

You're missing the point, I used London as an OTT example of what happens when people move into an area with more wealth than the locals, I could just as easily use Kendal, Windermere.

Or If you like I could use Singapore as an example (lived here for 8 years) have you seen the statistics on local salary Vs numbers of immigrants Vs rental prices.

But again, my point is, when people move to an area with more money than the locals they are not doing "No Harm" but inevitably drive prices up.

37 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

You're the guy who came to BKK from Hong Kong in 2008. You were constantly broke and lived with a hooker (at her place) in Sukhumwit Soi 20.

The difference between me and you is I get things done. You talk way too much and invent obstacles.

What you did back in 1998 is of no interest to anyone. All that counts is what you're doing right now.  

I recall this exact discussion taking place less than 4 months ago. And if I'm not mistaken it was you both discussing this exact "I know who you are" this forums not so big what's going on here?

8 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

So what's that about $150 a month.

Ha! I've no idea what Zimbabwean dollars are worth right now, but I'm not here to discuss fees.

Let me tell you something that puzzles me. A client transferred cash to me today from the Czech Republic. She sent USD, but the rate that hit my bank (United Overseas Bank in Singapore) worked out at about 27 Baht to the Dollar. Why is it that sometimes I get the full amount and sometimes I don't? Today's rate is 36:1.

Put another way, why do some overseas banks stitch me up, while others don't?

It's not a problem as I'll charge extra for the final installment -- I guess I don't really understand how international banking works.     

ID 94 "Add to that the fact that they're not paying into the Tax system" 

And from that you think I said they were evading tax?

I mearly stated a fact that they're not paying into the tax system (no comment on evasion) same with retirees or tourists (especially the zero dollar ones)... Again, nothing wrong with it in my book but spare me the "Thailand should be grateful for us & make it easier for us to live there"

But it will be the same for me when I retire there, I'll be paying no tax (obviously I'll be paying tax on my UK passive income) so why should Thailand make it easy for me to live there at 50 (with 800k in the bank or 65k pm income) & not somebody who's 49... Dunno, Up to them...

1 minute ago, Fabricus said:

Ha! I've no idea what Zimbabwean dollars are worth right now, but I'm not here to discuss fees.

Let me tell you something that puzzles me. A client transferred cash to me today from the Czech Republic. She sent USD, but the rate that hit my bank (United Overseas Bank in Singapore) worked out at about 27 Baht to the Dollar. Why is it that sometimes I get the full amount and sometimes I don't? Today's rate is 36:1.

Put another way, why do some overseas banks stitch me up, while others don't?

It's not a problem as I'll charge extra for the final installment -- I guess I don't really understand how international banking works.     

Ok I'm no expert but I receive funds always £7 less from some clients as they elect to only pay their own fees. I sent my Mrs some cash from uk to TH the other day and I always pay all fees and they still charged her 100 baht. I keep reminding g myself to ask why is that too. Banks have their own rates they are always lower. Blast your client but smooth it over with advice to save you and them time and money by using transferwise or transfermate. 90% less expensive than bank charges and 1 day faster *1st one maybe not. A breeze thereafter.

4 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I recall this exact discussion taking place less than 4 months ago. And if I'm not mistaken it was you both discussing this exact "I know who you are" this forums not so big what's going on here?

It's kind of strange. 

Over the last two years I've come across two people on this forum who came to BKK from Hong Kong.

Sean is 100% honest and decent. He came here in 2008.

A decade earlier another guy came here. I met him at a bogus finance company in 2000. He was one of the managers.  I can't comment further as this issue is being handled by the police. I've also asked my ex-GF in Pattani (an officer at the DOH) to pass his details on to the MOT in BKK to track down a crappy old car he used to drive and park at the Homeplace Building in Soi Thonglor.  

Again, Sean is not to be confused with the other guy. Sean is a nice chap. He's had his ups and downs, but he's completely honest. 

6 minutes ago, JB300 said:

And from that you think I said they were evading tax?

I mearly stated a fact that they're not paying into the tax system (no comment on evasion) same with retirees or tourists (especially the zero dollar ones)... Again, nothing wrong with it in my book but spare me the "Thailand should be grateful for us & make it easier for us to live there"

But it will be the same for me when I retire there, I'll be paying no tax (obviously I'll be paying tax on my UK passive income) so why should Thailand make it easy for me to live there at 50 (with 800k in the bank or 65k pm income) & not somebody who's 49... Dunno, Up to them...

Ok makes sense now. You were referring to DN. 

2 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

It's kind of strange. 

Over the last two years I've come across two people on this forum who came to BKK from Hong Kong.

Sean is 100% honest and decent. He came here in 2008.

A decade earlier another guy came here. I met him at a bogus finance company in 2000. He was one of the managers.  I can't comment further as this issue is being handled by the police. I've also asked my ex-GF in Pattani (an officer at the DOH) to pass his details on to the MOT in BKK to track down a crappy old car he used to drive and park at the Homeplace Building in Soi Thonglor.  

Again, Sean is not to be confused with the other guy. Sean is a nice chap. He's had his ups and downs, but he's completely honest. 

So you talking about a cowboy guy. Sorry my memory sticks to stuff.

On 1/11/2017 at 5:15 PM, JLCrab said:

Thank you. There may some genuine high-level IT talent among those sitting in the Thai coffee shops with their computers online -- but I would say they are the exception. Those with real talent don't have to.

You lost me there. The people who are really talented  with computers don't have to work on line?

What does that mean?t

Ok makes sense now. You were referring to DN. 

Not DN specifically but just highlighting the fact that people who think they're net positive to the community often overlooked the point that they may be helping to drive prices up (which can be a good thing if it drives salaries up but same people would be the 1st to complain when their purchasing power drops),

But I think I've laboured the point long enough, so will leave it there...

As an aside, I hear a few DNs are heading to Vietnam nowadays, anybody have any thoughts/comments about living there?

[Nb my role is working on large scale IT projects so whilst I often telecommute I have to be co-located with the client (always a Global Bank) so am asking about potential retirement places but the DNs typical requirements would seem to match most of mine :))

1 hour ago, Fabricus said:

You've raised my past before and I still don't remember who you are.  Would be nice to know as clearly we've met.  

It is true I lived with a bar girl for a few years, but that was then and it's been a long time since I did anything that daft :-)

19 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

So you talking about a cowboy guy. Sorry my memory sticks to stuff.

Ha!

No. I'd actually forgotten about the cowboy guy until quite recently. He was a Brit -- about 6'3'' who dressed from head to toe like an American cowboy. He was a harmless eccentric. He was employed at the boiler room where I worked for two weeks back in mid-2000. It was at this bogus finance company that I came across a former member of this forum. He (like Sean) came to BKK from HK, albeit a decade earlier.

Does this make sense?

Truth is most definitely stranger than fiction!

7 minutes ago, seancbk said:

You've raised my past before and I still don't remember who you are.  Would be nice to know as clearly we've met.  

It is true I lived with a bar girl for a few years, but that was then and it's been a long time since I did anything that daft :-)

Sean -- I'm not gonna tell you who I am. All I'll say is that we met back in 2008 in Sukhumwit Soi 7. We had a couple of beers together. 

HERE COMES SOME WEIRD BULLSHIT

I went to Oxford University and have a strange memory. It's not photographic, but it's amazing. Thing is ....... I can't remember the name for my type of memory. I can however remember just about every conversation I've ever had.

I can remember you (Sean) telling me you went to a top private school in the UK; I can remember you telling me how you got free drinks in HK; I can remember you saying you'd never dated as Asian girl; I can remember you telling me your father paid for your server. 

I can remember the other guy who came to BKK from HK in 1998 (ie, the boiler room criminal) saying that the skytrain "starts nowhere and goes nowhere". He also told a strange story about how he'd drank four Amstel beers the night before. 

And so on.

12 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

Sean -- I'm not gonna tell you who I am. All I'll say is that we met back in 2008 in Sukhumwit Soi 7. We had a couple of beers together. 

HERE COMES SOME WEIRD BULLSHIT

I went to Oxford University and have a strange memory. It's not photographic, but it's amazing. Thing is ....... I can't remember the name for my type of memory. I can however remember just about every conversation I've ever had.

I can remember you (Sean) telling me you went to a top private school in the UK; I can remember you telling me how you got free drinks in HK; I can remember you saying you'd never dated as Asian girl; I can remember you telling me your father paid for your server. 

I can remember the other guy who came to BKK from HK in 1998 (ie, the boiler room criminal) saying that the skytrain "starts nowhere and goes nowhere". He also told a strange story about how he'd drank four Amstel beers the night before. 

And so on.

You have a great memory.  Unfortunately I have nothing to go on to even guess who you are out of the many people I've met here.  

But that's ok, you can stay anonymous.  

BTW, I've now dated 2 Thai girls.  The aforementioned bar girl and the most recent one who was off the charts hot, from a good family, with a good job but who left me for a very rich Thai guy.   Back to being single while I look for girlfriend no.3, although after the last 2 experiences I'm really going to be careful who I get involved with.  

Edited by seancbk
extra info