Khon Kaen railway project - stations and route announced

webfact

Khon Kaen railway project - stations and route announced

5p.jpg

Picture: Daily News

KHON KAEN: -- Planners of the proposed Khon Kaen railway have announced the route and 16 stations that will be used on the 22 kilometer track from Tha Phra to Samran.

The project is still in the planning stage but final studies are being carried out over the next two months before they are sent to the government for discussion and approval. This is expected to take until March when the government will step in, reports Daily News.

The project will be financed by joint investment from the government and private sector. It is expected to include new walkways and cycling paths as well as extensive landscaping. Some of the north south route will be elevated

A picture was released that was done by Khon Kaen university. The vehicle seems to resemble a tram.

It will run in the central reservation of the Mitraphap Highway, north to south and vise versa. It is 22.6 kilometers long and will have 16

stations.

These are proposed as follows:

1 Tha Phra

2 Kut Kwang

3 Bus Station

4 Pratunam

5 Charoen Sri Intersection

6 NE University (Big C)

7 Centerpoint

8 Pratu Muang Intersection (Central)

9 Sam Liam (three way) Intersection

10 Thai Samut

11 Toyota Mor Din Daeng

12 Sri Nakharin Hospital Intersection

13 Khon Kaen University

14 Lotus Extra

15 Nong Kung

16 Samran

Stations 5 - 9 will be elevated. The rest will be at street level.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-11

With the majority of the stations at street level, I don't see how they can fit this into the central reservation of the Mitraphap highway. Tracks maybe but not with platforms and ticket offices unless they plan to turn an already congested highway into a 2 lane road. Just before Christmas they closed one lane at the Central intersection whilst they repainted some lines, the congestion was the worst I've ever seen there.  

I love the picture.  No motorbikes, traffic lights, food vendors, pickup, pickups crossing the railway, no apparent tracks for the tram, no overhead cables, no half-finished concrete pylons.  I suppose  Charoen Sri Intersection  is Laonahdee Rd.

But if it is built we will use it rather than taking our car into town as we live a couple of miles from the bus station.  Park and ride.

If actually built, this would make Khon Kaen the leading city in Thailand at applying a modern public transport system, outside of Bangkok. Chiang Mai is still beholden to pretty much the same model of a songtaew mafia controlling "public" transport that has operated since the 1960s and suffers the consequences with traffic jams. Other cities are getting increasingly congested and polluted. The fact there is a plan and early design is promising, but as others point out, there is always a wide gap between concept and application in Thailand. Will watch this development with interest.

now that is one giant white elephant awaiting Khon Kaen. Who on earth is going to use that ? 99% will stick to the Sawngthaews as they do nowadays. The "Khon Kaen Citybus" should be warning enough as there are rarely more than 2 or 3 Pax on it as I could experience myself in the past few days. I doubt it will last as it must bring in huge losses every day (as much as I like to get to the BorKorSor 3 for just 15 Baht). The Sawngthaews though are crowded as usual with 25 bodies or more squeezed in it during rush hour