Renewing Retirement Visa Outside Thailand?

Hi -- I hope I'm not asking questions that have already been answered, but I've looked for almost an hour and couldn't find the answer to my primary question:

1. My retirement visa expires Jan 31, 2007, and I will be outside Thailand during January. I could come back if necessary, but it would be inconvenient, so I'm looking at alternatives. First, does anyone know if it is possible to renew a retirement visa at a Thai Embassy outside Thailand?

2. If not, can my wife renew it for me in Thailand? I think the application form says I need to be present, but I'm asking if anyone has had experience with how strictly that requirement has been enforced ourside of Bangkok and/or whether my wife being there might satisfy the requirement. (This will be our third renewal and the people at our local office know us and have always been friendly and helpful).

3. Has the requirement for a medical exam really been dispensed with? Again, I'm looking for anyone who has had experience with local offices and whether they are still asking for medical exam forms or not.

4. I've seen on other posts that you are supposed to renew within the 30 days before expiration. Has anyone had experience on how strictly this 30 day requirement is enforced at local offices? If we tried to renew it, say, 45 days before expiration, do you think we would have a problem?

I know some of these questions probably fall in grey zones, but I'll appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks very much.

ericjt

Depending on what country you will be in (UK, Canada, Australia, USA, etc), you might be able to just apply for a new O-A visa there instead of extending the current one. A multiple-entry O-A overseas costs about the same as an extension issued in Thailand with a multiple reentry permit.

There are pros/cons to either method. O-A requries criminal record check and medical statement, but can be extended up to almost two years if you re-enter Thailand the day before it expires, can be obtained via mail, and you can leave your money overseas. Extension of current visa in Thailand doesn't require criminal record or medical check, but you need to have money transferred into Thaliand and/or visit your embassy and pay for a letter of income verification.

It's always nice to have options.