Teaching kids under 10 ( inexperienced teacher )

alphason

I did my TEFL qualification in Thailand a long time ago now, but I never pursued it any further. I did ok at it coming top in my class of around a dozen. My only experience was during the course teaching to mixed classes of adults and older kids. I did find though that I spent a huge amount of time prepping for the lessons, as when I do it I want to do it properly so really lacked confidence.

My knowldege of English grammar rules is poor despite being a native speaker, I was never taught the rules and I later found out that at the time I was at school grammar was not taught, of course I know the rules automatically but am stuck if someone asks me to explain the rule. So I decided it wasn't really for me. My other concern is that as I have been here a while I have picked up some Thai English habits, I find myself speaking like a Thai sometimes probably as I very rarely speak to anyone other than Thais, I don't speak Thai.

I have had other jobs here in Thailand but am embarrassed to say I have not been working now for several  years. I keep thinking back to teaching as there really are not that many other options. Anyway, I have been asked if I would like to teach 2 Thai kids (that I have met before) and I am considering it to get myself a bit of practice and confidence, can anyone offer any advice? where to start, is there a good recommended course book we could work through as a starting point?

Any help or advice appreciated.

For kids about 10-12 years old, I usually start with them introducing themselves and telling me about a normal day at school. I ask them follow up questions (What time? Where? What is your favorite..? Who?) Daily routines use present simple tense, so it is an easy place to start.

Then I have them ask me questions about my routine (they could ask each other)

The last 10 minutes or so of the lesson have them write about their usual day- help them with spelling.

Make a note of any vocab they don't know and they can make flashcards of them (at home). Quiz them on the vocab in the next meeting as a memory game.

Most kids texts have similar unit themes and grammar is mixed in. Vocab and grammar points change based on the level of English. Some topics that often come up:

•Routines and school (daily routine, class subjects)

•Rooms and objects in a house

•Food (kinds of food, describing food, ordering)

•People (jobs, describing people, family)

•Places (directions, buildings, outdoors)

•Illness & injury (going to the doctor, explaining symptoms)

Use lots of pictures.

Janejira, Thanks for your reply.

I'm not really sure how to get it going if they speak no English and I speak no Thai, does it just slowly happen over time using lots of picture prompts.

Will need to speak with the mother again to see if she is really interested and what her expectations are. I really need to do something spent long enough doing nothing.

They probably get some English at school. Ask the mom if you can see their school books, though keep in mind that some teachers don't use the book in class at all.

If they are really low level, pictures will be your friend.

Numbers are usually ok for lower level. You can still ask them about routine using time:  What time do you....? wake up, eat breakfast, leave for school, start school, eat lunch etc.

Kids usually like to draw. You can give them a piece of A4 paper with 4-5 small boxes on it (like a comic strip) and they draw 4-5 things they do at roughly the same time every day. Then they write a sentence about it under the picture (e.g. I wake up at 6 o'clock. I start school at 8 o'clock. I eat lunch at 12 o'clock). If sentences are too much, just write the activity.

Make sure to give them a time limit for drawing though. Otherwise, they might want to draw for the whole lesson.?

Google search for worksheets or pictures that match the theme you want to teach. Don't worry so much about the grammar, especially for the first lesson.

Thanks, I think they have some very basic English, they did go to an International school for a short time I think but good idea to look at the school books. I am of an age where I should be working, so this may be a good starting point if it comes off.

Do they have phones....they might, if so..... even at this age.. try the application Kahoot it.  google it and you will have some change in the dynamic in your class.. you can learn, shapes and colors as you design you short multiple choice test.. with graphics animation and all the excitement kids like at that age.

22 hours ago, alphason said:

My knowldege of English grammar rules is poor despite being a native speaker, I was never taught the rules and I later found out that at the time I was at school grammar was not taught, of course I know the rules automatically but am stuck if someone asks me to explain the rule.

Absolute crap! Of course you were taught grammar, how else do you think you can communicate in English? If you "know the rules", you must have been taught them, or were they a gift from god one night in a dream?

11 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Absolute crap! Of course you were taught grammar, how else do you think you can communicate in English? If you "know the rules", you must have been taught them, or were they a gift from god one night in a dream?

Maybe, I was surprised when I was told this but I certainly dont recall ever being taught grammar. I can use grammar, my education is ok I have a degree,  just find it hard to explain the rules to someone else if they ask why?

A tutor once told me that at the time I was in school in the UK many schools used what I think they called a whole languge approach, late 70s-80's, a quick google search shows others saying the same "If you went to school from the 70's onwards, you probably didn’t get much grammar instruction. Some large scale research studies in the 60s, replicated over the decades, concluded that grammar instruction didn’t have much impact upon reading and writing, so why bother with it. ".

Archived