Multiple re-entry permit. How to use.

I have just got my first extension based on retirement, plus my Multiple RE Permit. So now I can exit and re-enter Thailand.

Is there anything I have to do with the re-entry permit before leaving or entering Thailand?  Do I have to report to someone at the Thai airport before check-in? Or do I just show it to the IO at the passport check?

Also the same on re-entering? Do I have to get a stamp to permit continued use?

TIA

Edited by phetphet

No need to do anything prior to departure from the country.

On entry you write the re-entry permit number in the space on the arrival card for a visa number. Then check that the officer stamped you in using your re-entry permit.

Nothing more you need to do after that.

• Like 1

Yup ^^^, I usually write "re-entry" next to the visa number box as well, so the immigration chap knows what he's looking for.

I used to slip the TM6 into the same page too, but they invariably remove it without opening the passport.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

On entry you write the re-entry permit number in the space on the arrival card for a visa number. Then check that the officer stamped you in using your re-entry permit.

Does this apply to  SINGLE re-entry permit as well ? I'm flying back to Thailand this Sat with just a single re-entry permit... How about the original Non-Immigrant "O" visa that was stamped "used" during the transition from tourist to retiree, why is its number not used for that "space on the arrival card for a visa number?"

48 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I used to slip the TM6 into the same page too, but they invariably remove it without opening the passport.

Isn't the TM6 the departure card if I recalled correctly? It was collected on my way out of Thailand so I no longer have it.

1 minute ago, smo said:

Isn't the TM6 the departure card if I recalled correctly? It was collected on my way out of Thailand so I no longer have it.

When you arrive you get a new one with both arrival and departure parts. So you are correct, being outside Thailand (and not being Thai) you don't have one.

6 minutes ago, smo said:

Does this apply to  SINGLE re-entry permit as well ? I'm flying back to Thailand this Sat with just a single re-entry permit... How about the original Non-Immigrant "O" visa that was stamped "used" during the transition from tourist to retiree, why is its number not used for that "space on the arrival card for a visa number?"

It is the same for both single and multiple re-entry permits.

You use the re-entry permit number because that is what is used to obtain the permit to stay date you get on entry.

4 minutes ago, smo said:

Because the visa is no longer valid for entry, your re-entry permit is.

Of course if you really want to wind up the immigration chap by putting the number of an expired visa be my guest, you may then have to go through the hassle of getting the 30 day visa-exemption he gave you corrected.

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Because the visa is no longer valid for entry, your re-entry permit is.

Of course if you really want to wind up the immigration chap by putting the number of an expired visa be my guest, you may then have to go through the hassle of getting the 30 day visa-exemption he gave you corrected.

Ok I get it. The re-entry permit - with a "live" date - is a "stand-in" for the non-imm visa that is no longer valid ie "dead". That makes sense. Thanks Crossy and ubonjoe for the enlightenment, as always.:smile:

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is the same for both single and multiple re-entry permits.

You use the re-entry permit number because that is what is used to obtain the permit to stay date you get on entry.

I see. Which has the same "valid until" date on which my  current retirement extension expires. Thanks ubonjoe for the fine point.

Just now, smo said:

I see. Which has the same "valid until" date on which my  current retirement extension expires. Thanks ubonjoe for the fine point.

And it is that date to which you will be stamped when you arrive.

The airline should give you a new TM6 on the flight (they often creep round when everyone is sleeping), if you don't get one they are available at the immigration area before the queue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

And it is that date to which you will be stamped when you arrive.

The airline should give you a new TM6 on the flight (they often creep round when everyone is sleeping), if you don't get one they are available at the immigration area before the queue.

And we/I better check and make sure that it be precisely so - I guess there have been cases given the wrong date when one is not looking... I don't mean to sound paranoid here.:sleep:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Check before you leave the counter and the officer can fix it there and then, otherwise you need to go to immigration for them to fix it (free).

Very helpful info Crossy, thanks.:signthaivisa: