Thai crackdown on budget tours hits Chinese New Year

webfact

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

We went to Chiang Mai for a week after Xmas......Completely spoilt by the hordes of Chinese. Hotel we stayed in was infested with them, a fact I was not privy to when booking unfortunately. Breakfast time was like a plague of locust descending, followed by the sound of a thousand drains emptying as they devoured their prize from the buffet table.:sad:

I appreciate the needs of the souvenir sellers etc. but we watched from several bars and cafes, and all they did was walk around taking selfies, not spending anything.. 

I suppose this is the new normal and the farang needs to accept the reality that they are no longer held in awe. Globalisation, development and social media connectivity has leveled the field somewhat. And if Chinese have bad habits like talking loudly or rushing at the buffet, the ordinary thais (not friends or spouses of farangs) could be equally appalled at the unwashed low spending backpacker crowds and the hordes of poor retirees, mongers, alcoholics, and other fringe elements from the western world.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose this is the new normal and the farang needs to accept the reality that they are no longer held in awe. Globalisation, development and social media connectivity has leveled the field somewhat. And if Chinese have bad habits like talking loudly or rushing at the buffet, the ordinary thais (not friends or spouses of farangs) could be equally appalled at the unwashed low spending backpacker crowds and the hordes of poor retirees, mongers, alcoholics, and other fringe elements from the western world.

What a pretty picture you paint. How about you? What stereo type do you live up to?

5 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I appreciate the needs of the souvenir sellers etc. but we watched from several bars and cafes, and all they did was walk around taking selfies, not spending anything.. 

I can promise you, when they leave, their suitcases are full of more stuff that they purchased in Thailand than almost any Euro or US tourists.  I know, because I've lived there.  And because when I fly back to China, I get in line with them at the ticket counter and watch them shuffling stuff between bags to minimize their excess baggage fees.

Lots of them pay for their Thailand (or Euro, or USA, or...) holidays by selling the stuff they bring back duty free.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Again your focus is on those who did a legal business illegally.  The argument is and remains; why disrupt business ?  Numbers of Chinese are down due to the crackdown on the zero baht packages, correct ?  Why did there need to be a crack down, but rather why not a legal transition ?  Other governments do it.   Seize legal businesses started with dubious funds and then transition them back to the private sector.  The lack of finesse and the handling of things with less than delicate hands are hurting the Thai brand.

That would depend on tour companies in China operating as normal companies. If you book a tour package to Thailand from a company in your home country, how would they organise the logistics for the group in Thailand?

There are sufficient legal companies handling logistics in Thailand to offer tie-up services. No need to legalised these unscrupulous operators, and hope they will not cheat again.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

487526123.jpg

The bullet then ricocheted  off the floor, was deflected by the wall and hit him in the other foot....

The resulting stay in hospital was logged by TAT as evidence that Thailand was becoming a hub for medical tourism.

Edited by JAG

To boost the Chinese numbers I suggest all Zero Dollar package tours should include.

1. Free insurance coverage on Jet ski rides.

2. Automatic no proof insurance for theft of gold necklaces (Pattaya only).

3. 30% discount on bar fines for single men. Discount coupons can be presented at any "Hello Handsome Man" beer bar.

4. Free insurance to victims who may be dismembered by boat propellers.

5. Free mortuary services for min-bus or bus accidents (including free zipper bag).

Edited by Brer Fox

THere is only one problem.The TAT and other authorities have zero idea on how to run, manage, tourism. They do not travel, and have no qualified tourism experts.Every country needs regulations , laws, and education to train the people. 

Well done to the TAT an other organizations for shooting yourselves in the foot once again. If Thailand really wants people to come here and spend cash they will need to stop being so arrogant and lower the requirements for tourists and people who stay here long term otherwise this country will drive away any kind of revenue it seeks from non-Thai nationals.

Im Canadian and we have countless travel agencies promoting all inclusive packages to Cuba, Mexico and Caribbeans etc . (airfares,  transfers, hotels all the food, non/alcoholic beverages and cigarettes you can smoke, eat and drink 24/7.... basically everything....In affect a person could I suppose go there with 1000b ($30) for the 6n7d and not spend it.

Is this the same as zero dollars?

Im Canadian and we have countless travel agencies promoting all inclusive packages to Cuba, Mexico and Caribbeans etc . (airfares,  transfers, hotels all the food, non/alcoholic beverages and cigarettes you can smoke, eat and drink 24/7.... basically everything....In affect a person could I suppose go there with 1000b ($30) for the 6n7d and not spend it.

Is this the same as zero dollars?

Yes it is.

I don't get all the Chinese bashing because they want to save money.

39 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes it is.

I don't get all the Chinese bashing because they want to save money.

Wow that's 'ridiculous..... agencies, hotels, airlines make money on this.......volume selling. 

not to mention jobs for the locals and money being spent outside of these resorts means revenue for local governments.

Beats me how this is illegal. Only if the tourist was forced to pay more once they got here for what they had been told and had in writing already paid for. Then I could see a major problem. Apart from that...two willing parties agreed upon a deal.

Edited by sioux2012

come to think of it........The all inclusive packages are bought and paid for in China. The hotels and airlines are paid for the block rooms and seats in advance from wholesalers, in return the wholesalers resale the rooms and seats for a slightly higher price to the operators, from there the consumer buys the packages again for a slightly higher price. (That's just business) The price the consumer pays is still cheaper than if he/she were to do it on their own....So whats the problem ......the chinese are trying to save a couple of bucks just like everyone else in the western world who buys and travels to an all inclusive resorts....... I know where the problem is....The Thai government doesnt have control of the billions of dollars this industry makes. Airlines transporting the chinese arent Thai owned, the hotels are charging low rates and have tax right offs, the souvenir stores and restaurants and taxis, tour buses etc arent declaring their earnings truthfully. So it adds up to ThaisGov  getting the short end of the stick, ohhh they dont like that!!!!

Edited by sioux2012
Im included when I say westerners that travel to all inclusive resorts... can be fun with friends, I went to Cuba and Mexico great times

12 minutes ago, sioux2012 said:

come to think of it........The all inclusive packages are bought and paid for in China. The hotels and airlines are paid for the block rooms and seats in advance from wholesalers, in return the wholesalers resale the rooms and seats for a slightly higher price to the operators, from there the consumer buys the packages again for a slightly higher price. (That's just business) The price the consumer pays is still cheaper than if he/she were to do it on their own....So whats the problem ......the chinese are trying to save a couple of bucks just like everyone else in the western world who buys and travels to an all inclusive resorts....... I know where the problem is....The Thai government doesnt have control of the billions of dollars this industry makes. Airlines transporting the chinese arent Thai owned, the hotels are charging low rates and have tax right offs, the souvenir stores and restaurants and taxis, tour buses etc arent declaring their earnings truthfully. So it adds up to ThaisGov  getting the short end of the stick, ohhh they dont like that!!!!

8 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

I recommend Chaing Rai if you want avoid the northern hordes.   You have to go remote now to enjoy a peaceful breakfast :D

Sssstttttt, don't tell everyone ;-)  It might be the end of the peaceful breakfasts in Chiang Rai.....

15 hours ago, webfact said:

By targeting wealthier Chinese travellers, revenue from China will increase over 14 percent this year to around 500 billion baht, according to Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn.

Sorry TAT but wealthier Chinese choose Singapore or Las Vegas as their destination , not Thailand. 

13 hours ago, The man from udon said:

When it come to how much they spend I would say a little bit of something is worth a lot more than a whole lot of nothing.i keep hearing they are cheap Charlie's but I stay in 4 star hotels all the time and there's plenty of Chinese staying in them.as for buying things here,they probably can buy most things at home that they sell here but a lot cheaper.whats not taken into account is all imported goods are taxed to high heaven and the baht has gone through the roof.thailand ain't cheap for any tourist and even us westerners are tightening our belts.anyway when the 9 million stop coming it will only make thing more expensive as the Thai way is...less customers then just put the price up.i bet the neighbouring countries are laughing their socks off as they will only benefit from thailands messed up policies.

You haven't been on tour to Japan lately then. And the cost there is over 4x of Thailand...

When it come to how much they spend I would say a little bit of something is worth a lot more than a whole lot of nothing.i keep hearing they are cheap Charlie's but I stay in 4 star hotels all the time and there's plenty of Chinese staying in them.as for buying things here,they probably can buy most things at home that they sell here but a lot cheaper.whats not taken into account is all imported goods are taxed to high heaven and the baht has gone through the roof.thailand ain't cheap for any tourist and even us westerners are tightening our belts.anyway when the 9 million stop coming it will only make thing more expensive as the Thai way is...less customers then just put the price up.i bet the neighbouring countries are laughing their socks off as they will only benefit from thailands messed up policies.

Bahaha! More like crying their eyes out and they will lose lose real dollar tourists when people check out early when they get sick of the noise and the grunting, slurping and spitting at the breakfast buffet.
That's what I did in Cambodia along with thousands of others no doubt!

On 1/12/2017 at 2:25 PM, wakeupplease said:

Reuters write some crap don't They?

Our wonderful TAT lady tells us tourism was up in 2016 and may hit 50 billion soon

Thai tourism has come a long way with Lady TAT since the 19million arrivals of 2012

Quality tourists spend more, perhaps if they did not get killed or scammed they would

Do you know what TAT means look it up as it makes you smile a lot Invented in London

The Chinese media says the drop in Chinese tourists to Thailand is a staggering 60%. 

A wee bit off from the nonsense TAT is spewing, as usual.

It's a sad state when scamming tourists is your only way to profit from them.

22 hours ago, impulse said:

I can promise you, when they leave, their suitcases are full of more stuff that they purchased in Thailand than almost any Euro or US tourists.  I know, because I've lived there.  And because when I fly back to China, I get in line with them at the ticket counter and watch them shuffling stuff between bags to minimize their excess baggage fees.

Lots of them pay for their Thailand (or Euro, or USA, or...) holidays by selling the stuff they bring back duty free.

Exactly. Those with money spend a LOT on shopping everywhere they go. Those without money save all year so they can spend it all when they go abroad.

Love them or hate them, NO ONE shops like the Chinese. 

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Love them or hate them, NO ONE shops like the Chinese. 

Truer words were rarely spoken.  And like a lot of Chinese foods, they're an acquired taste.  I've grown quite fond of them -warts, swarm behavior and all- after living there for 10 years and traveling back from Thailand to visit regularly.  Another things for sure- they know how to have fun in conditions that would have most of us fuming.

On January 13, 2560 BE at 4:44 AM, balo said:

Sorry TAT but wealthier Chinese choose Singapore or Las Vegas as their destination , not Thailand. 

On January 13, 2560 BE at 4:44 AM, balo said:

That's a sweeping statement ms. Balo please document your conclusion

On ‎12‎-‎1‎-‎2017 at 9:29 AM, trogers said:

Haven't you read? The hotels, restaurants and tour buses are owned by the Chinese using fake Thai IDs, and no taxes paid...

Hmm, and the people employed at those are all Chinese with fake id's as well ? Maybe Thailand should ensure taxes are paid ?

Incidentially, the story from the souvenir shop owner in Thonburi further indicates that zero baht tours are a fairy tale.

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Hmm, and the people employed at those are all Chinese with fake id's as well ? Maybe Thailand should ensure taxes are paid ?

Incidentially, the story from the souvenir shop owner in Thonburi further indicates that zero baht tours are a fairy tale.

The employees would probably be tang dao...as well...

Thai souvenirs are way overpriced and eat up tonnes of money from tour groups...