Thai filmmakers want to bust cinema monopoly for sake of better movies

snoop1130

Thai filmmakers want to bust cinema monopoly for sake of better movies

By Kaewta Ketbungkan, Staff Reporter

P1118648.jpg

BANGKOK — A coalition of filmmakers, distributors and movie lovers gathered Wednesday to demand equal access and fair competition for the Thai film industry.

Frustrated by a system that makes it difficult for their films to be seen, filmmakers united as the Thai Filmmakers Network to take on the commercial interests they see holding back their industry and art.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/arts/2017/01/12/thai-filmmakers-want-bust-cinema-monopoly-sake-better-movies/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-1-12

"For one, they want multiplex cinemas to give over no more than 20 percent of their screens to a single film in order to make space for non-blockbusters. They also asked that Thai-made films be shown five times daily for at least two weeks, and a 2008 law fixing a ratio of imported and domestic films be enforced."

So they want the cinemas to stop showing movies people want to see and show their movies, because they feel the public should watch them?.

Edited by Bluespunk

"Thai film makers are unhappy that their movies take a back seat to those that people actually would willingly pay to watch."

Even Thai people know which movies are better. Yes, this is a subjective opinion but in terms of how to gauge it money talks at the box office.

If you want to put theaters out of business listen to these people.

Edited by anotheruser

Something needs to be done though.

Most times they just show the latest shoot em ups from Hollywood.

Rarely are there slower moving drama or shorts.

So many screens are just often showing the same films but at staggered times.

I'd like to see more film festivals such as art house, film noirs & old cartoons or childrens films during the school hols (Charlie & the Chocolate Family, Oliver!, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Wizard of Oz)

How about a run of spagetti westerns or old war films?

The list is almost endless.

There is rarely many people in the cinemas when I go.

There is room for more Thai shorts & feature lenghts or even documentaries to show case any young film makers

Get ready For

General Prayut Chan-o-cha Rides again

General Prayut Chan-o-cha trains Thailand with Thursday Exercises

General Prayut Chan-o-cha speaks the truth

General Prayut Chan-o-cha speaks to his world in Thai

General Prayut Chan-o-cha lost in? (I wish)

General Prayut Chan-o-cha Hero Of the mellow yellow sory should have been BKK

General Prayut Chan-o-cha 50 years as PM

Coming to a cinema near you soon

Your turn to add a few

If you want to improve the Thai film industry you need to change the law so scripts can actually include fictional stories of corrupt politicians, bad teachers, corrupt land officials, corrupt lawyers and corrupt judges, provincial corruption, evil doctors and corrupt and evil police.

The Thai film industry is so hand tied with what they can include in scripts, their films often are weak on message, weak on interest and all much of a muchness as there is only so many different ways the same inane story can be told without it getting repetitive - hence Thai soaps.

need to  move away from the obsession with ghosts, slapstick comedy, mandatory stereotype ladyboy to inject 'humour' and the shocking acting.

quite enjoyed 'shutter' many years ago despite the ghost story and unnecessary ladyboy in bathroom scene.

have never managed to enjoy any other thai movies, watching them is simply the opportunity to relax and have a nap in a comfortable air conditioned environment.

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I support their efforts.
Decent Thai movies are few and far between.

Surely there are plenty of Thai filmmakers that could do much better.

Something is wrong that it isn't happening. 

One of my old favorites:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444778/

Of course, something is wrong: the film-industry of Thailand is under a heavy sword of censorship!

I believe, there are as many "good" directors in Thailand, as there are in other countries, as many good writers...

But if you even move close to something vaguely seen as a sensitive subject...that is it for your movie!

So whatever makes money at the box- office, coming from Thailand, are mindnumbing "comedies", disgusting horror- flics, full of decayed bodies and witchcraft and ghosts or "history"- movies, that alter history in a direction to make Thailand look good...I am sorry, but there will be no pitty from me!

27 minutes ago, bendejo said:

There is a certain former PM not currently living within the kingdom who's legacy family business is cinemas and film distribution.  Maybe he has something to do with this, one way or the other.

Yes...it is Thaksins fault!

What else!?

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai Filmmakers Network to take on the commercial interests they see holding back their industry and art.

Forget commercial try political interests. They want you to study at the Chinese and North Korean Film Institute and graduate and return and ply your craft as it was taught to you. 

5 hours ago, timewilltell said:

If you want to improve the Thai film industry you need to change the law so scripts can actually include fictional stories of corrupt politicians, bad teachers, corrupt land officials, corrupt lawyers and corrupt judges, provincial corruption, evil doctors and corrupt and evil police.

The Thai film industry is so hand tied with what they can include in scripts, their films often are weak on message, weak on interest and all much of a muchness as there is only so many different ways the same inane story can be told without it getting repetitive - hence Thai soaps.

So you're not impressed with their ladyboy / ghost / monk movies?

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

So you're not impressed with their ladyboy / ghost / monk movies?

Strangely not greatly impressed.  Seen one - seen them all - now I suppose there already is a movie about a monk who was a ladyboy and who comes back to taunt female monks who cannot join in the fun - or something like that!

On 1/12/2017 at 7:08 PM, snoop1130 said:

a system that makes it difficult for their films to be seen

Surely the government has underutilized facilities like Government House where it can sponsor showings of these films throughout the country in major metropolitan areas. Consider this a gift to Thai people.

9 hours ago, bendejo said:

There is a certain former PM not currently living within the kingdom who's legacy family business is cinemas and film distribution.  Maybe he has something to do with this, one way or the other.

"..........legacy family business is cinemas and film distribution. " :unsure:

Loet Shinawatra quit politics in 1976. He opened a coffee shop, grew oranges and flowers in Chiang Mai's San Kamphaeng district, and opened two cinemas, a gas station, and a car and motorcycle dealership. By the time Thaksin was born, the Shinawatra family was one of the richest and most influential families in Chiang Mai.[5]

Thaksin was born in San Kamphaeng, Chiang Mai province. He lived in the village of San Kamphaeng until he was 15, then moved to Chiang Mai city to study at Montfort College. At 16, he helped run one of his father's cinemas.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

Two cinemas is hardly legendary.  Thaksin worked in them as a kid. Not exactly Hollywood material.

42 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I had great hope for Thai movies at the beginning of the century. Beautiful boxer, Chocolate, Shutter (that was great).

Then everything became ghost movie slapstick "comedy".

Make better movies.

Yes, Thai films had the potential of becoming internationally significant. That's been set back badly. Excepting of course the art films of Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

On 1/12/2017 at 7:57 PM, Bluespunk said:

"For one, they want multiplex cinemas to give over no more than 20 percent of their screens to a single film in order to make space for non-blockbusters. They also asked that Thai-made films be shown five times daily for at least two weeks, and a 2008 law fixing a ratio of imported and domestic films be enforced."

So they want the cinemas to stop showing movies people want to see and show their movies, because they feel the public should watch them?.

You have completely misunderstood their intent. Their intent is good. Thai cinemas devote far too many screens to a blockbuster. They assume it is an easy way to fill seats. They are wrong. When I attend these films, that are playing on between four and eight different screens, in the same cinema, I am always astonished at the number of empty seats. It is pure, unadulterated sloth, laziness, and lack of creativity on the part of the booking people. It is inexcusable. When there are so many other good films, including independent Thai films, and foreign films, from all over the world, which can be quite good, instead of the commercial slop, that they usually choose, there is a real need for these guys and gals to be standing up, and asking to be noticed. 

There is a small, new independent cinema called the Bangkok Screening Room. It is run by three Thais, who lived overseas, and brought back a passion for independent cinema. I recently attended some films there. It is in the Sala Deang area, not far from the BTS Sala Daeng station. PM me if you want more info. They deserve the support of those of us who love small, independent films, instead of alot of this Hollywood drivel, that is usually being offered to us. 

Just now, spidermike007 said:

You have completely misunderstood their intent. Their intent is good. Thai cinemas devote far too many screens to a blockbuster. They assume it is an easy way to fill seats. They are wrong. When I attend these films, that are playing on between four and eight different screens, in the same cinema, I am always astonished at the number of empty seats. It is pure, unadulterated sloth, laziness, and lack of creativity on the part of the booking people. It is inexcusable. When there are so many other good films, including independent Thai films, and foreign films, from all over the world, which can be quite good, instead of the commercial slop, that they usually choose, there is a real need for these guys and gals to be standing up, and asking to be noticed. 

There is a small, new independent cinema called the Bangkok Screening Room. It is run by three Thais, who lived overseas, and brought back a passion for independent cinema. I recently attended some films there. It is in the Sala Deang area, not far from the BTS Sala Daeng station. PM me if you want more info. They deserve the support of those of us who love small, independent films, instead of alot of this Hollywood drivel, that is usually being offered to us. 

The quote seems to support my comment.

I'm not saying there aren't good films being made, but the things they are asking the cinemas to do are unrealistic. The theatres show what the public want to see.

As to the BSR, please do PM me details, I would like to check it out.

23 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The quote seems to support my comment.

I'm not saying there aren't good films being made, but the things they are asking the cinemas to do are unrealistic. The theatres show what the public want to see.

As to the BSR, please do PM me details, I would like to check it out.

Well. my experience is that the cinemas that have the most choices, have better attendance. And the ones who have many repetitive movies, have alot of empty seats, but very lazy booking people responsible for that. Sent you a PM with details. 

On 1/13/2017 at 11:22 PM, Srikcir said:

Surely the government has underutilized facilities like Government House where it can sponsor showings of these films throughout the country in major metropolitan areas. Consider this a gift to Thai people.

Absolutely true. This government has done so little to promote contemporary Thai culture. They are an abomination. They seem to be intentionally trying to take the country backwards, instead of their ridiculous claim to be moving the country forwards. Nearly every ministry is populated by an astonishing lack of talent and experience. 

40 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You've alluded to what I was going to say.

It's no different to other places in the world where the big cinemas only show the so-called blockbusters and the only way to view smaller independent productions is at small cinemas and clubs. I don't know if the big 2 are preventing this from happening. I'm sure there used to be a smaller operation in Phuket Town a while back.

Unfortunately this needs funding and you need enthusiasts who aren't purely in it for the money, like the three guys mentioned in the post above.

There's an article on small breweries in a newspaper that I can't quote here but they are suffering in a similar way in that the lawmakers and big business seem to be hand in hand in this country, where monopolies and oligopolies thrive.