This is how Thai students think expats see Thailand

snoop1130

This is how Thai students think expats see Thailand

By Prae Sakaowan

expat_0.jpg

Water boxing, riding “beautiful elephants” in a commercial elephant camp, and grabbing a quick bite of fried bugs and Pad Thai on the street are what a group of award-winning students think expats love about Thailand.

This homemade video by five Communication Arts students at Nation University, in the northern province of Lampang, won first prize in the government-sponsored contest “Through the eyes of foreigners: Youth's reflection on the image of Thailand.”

Their three-minute video was awarded THB50,000 cash by the National Legislative Assembly.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/13/how-thai-students-think-expats-see-thailand-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-1-13

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next time those guys should go to Pattaya and ask the tourists on beachroad what they like in Thailand. :shock1:

I love the temples, bugs, national parks, streetfood with organmeat, fishheadsoup, deepfried things and of course sitting in a minivan.

12 minutes ago, trogers said:

Expats or tourists...

Exactly!

The title should read - This is how thai students think foreign visitors see thailand - and not expats as they view it completely differently after the rose tinted glasses falls off their noses.

Expats learn not to be amazed by anything thai people, or students think of them. Even after 8 years of marriage I still have to correct my wife's preconceptions,  let alone anyone not under the mighty wings of the farang.

17 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

Arent these the guy that Thailand does not want because they spend not much money?

Not at all. The tens of thousands of "expats", those who are resident here on a yearly basis, with or wihout families,spend far more than the average tourists on their two/three week holiday where they are enjoying the elephant  & crocodile shows, pad Thai, fried bugs,temples and the parks etc.................................oh, and the naughty nightlife where available.

Do you somehow feel that Thailand does not want you?

Oh God - I am sick and tired of this unrelenting nationalistic propaganda.

Yes, we all know: Thailand is perfect. Thailand is the best place in the world. Thailand is uniquely beautiful. The Thais are a fun-filled, laughing and loving, loyal and sincere people. Thailand has discovered the cure for AIDS, cancer, heart disease, stroke ... on and on.

And Thais NEVER would dream of raping and murdering innocent tourists on their charming Thai islands - and pinning the blame on powerless Burmese servants. 

Well done students: your film is at the cutting edge of questioning the country you live in. If as a student you tow the party line to this extent - what the hell are you going to be like when you are fifty?

Right! Fascism and Dictatorship are cool, cool, cool. Let's have more of it (say these wonderful, critically-thinking, prize-winning students). And Thailand can be the proud hub of all that wonderful political enlightenment and progress.

Yeah! Let's make some videos about how all the foreigners just love fascism and autocracy. Bring it on!

39 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Yes, we all know: Thailand is perfect. Thailand is the best place in the world. Thailand is uniquely beautiful. The Thais are a fun-filled, laughing and loving, loyal and sincere people. Thailand has discovered the cure for AIDS, cancer, heart disease, stroke ... on and on.

And Thais NEVER would dream of raping and murdering innocent tourists on their charming Thai islands - and pinning the blame on powerless Burmese servants. 

Well done students: your film is at the cutting edge of questioning the country you live in. If as a student you tow the party line to this extent - what the hell are you going to be like when you are fifty?

Right! Fascism and Dictatorship are cool, cool, cool. Let's have more of it (say these wonderful, critically-thinking, prize-winning students). And Thailand can be the proud hub of all that wonderful political enlightenment and progress.

Yeah! Let's make some videos about how all the foreigners just love fascism and autocracy. Bring it on!

How long you stay Thailan?

You no like Thailan?

You no unnerstan Thai pee pull studen very polie. Thai studen peepul wery goood.

Why falang say bad too mush?

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

ignorance is bliss

Their three-minute video was awarded THB50,000 cash by the National Legislative Assembly

Oh my god

But id did give me an idea

Tony Blair was the one who said education education education

I think he should be sent here to help the PM

May just work

Gets him out of our ears and that cannot be bad

And that just before the special day for the youth, and from existing, or at least to-be, elite citizens...and after what the beloved PM has declared!

IMHO opinion, starting from the existing potential, the first, major, positive step forward for Thai youth would be to become... ostriches, they would still not see the light of day, which is, alas, another, remote, step, but, at least, they would not be exposed anymore to the smell inherent to the place where they have their head stuck at the time.

Hard, yes, Thai-bashing, no, unfortunately, very much so...

The students could not have been set the correct parameters to comprehensively meet adequately or fail fairly the broader headline in the OP.  

They just executed a collage or some stereotyped nonsense according to their anecdotal understandings. This rewards them an HD. 

P.S. on my ID 17: ...And this was a government-sponsored contest, and these students won an award, the first prize please, 50,000Baht from the NLA!

The members of the jury should be hung by the thumbs for 24h., above a crocodile pit, LOL, ...and all the participating students only ever get a tourist-guide job, ...limited to the Lampang province, LOL, bunch of...

39 minutes ago, optad said:

The students could not have been set the correct parameters to comprehensively meet adequately or fail fairly the broader headline in the OP.  

They just executed a collage or some stereotyped nonsense according to their anecdotal understandings. This rewards them an HD. 

'optad': The 'logic' of your post suits the pair of kangaroos on you avatar quite well...

^ Oxymoronic. At least the kids expressed a pov. Their perspective could not be as dull as nor conformed as most here on TV. 

But you summarise ....

.. hung by thumbs // above crocodile pits // only ever get tourist jobs

I wonder why Thais are less than complimentary when so many poor farang judges sit ready to execute comparative judgement. 

Love to survey the resident expat/farang educational levels appropo the voluminous negative opinions they eject.

Make a great study.

That's exactly how I felt and acted when I came on my first trip.I was so naive. Now, 3 years down the line ... It's turned into a warzone! But don't let this creep you up, just YouTube "why not thailand"! Some things you can not hide, no matter what propaganda you throw at it!

By the way,... how many of you did not come back for the booze and honey at first? C'mon! Admit it!:whistling:

10 minutes ago, optad said:

^ Oxymoronic. At least the kids expressed a pov. Their perspective could not be as dull as nor conformed as most here on TV. 

But you summarise ....

.. hung by thumbs // above crocodile pits // only ever get tourist jobs

I wonder why Thais are less than complimentary when so many poor farang judges sit ready to execute comparative judgement. 

Love to survey the resident expat/farang educational levels appropo the voluminous negative opinions they eject.

Make a great study.

Elitist nonsense about Westerners.

Fantastical about Thais.

You'll be quite alright in the ward with Jesus Christ, he helps to look after all the other patients.

Edited by Squeegee

1 minute ago, Squeegee said:

Elitist nonsense about Westerners.

Fantastical about Thais.

You'll be quite alright in the ward with Jesus Christ, he helps to look after all the patients.

Cannot decode your script.

NFI. What about westerners and Thais? Get this from singha?

Yep. Lately I start to think about moving out. Sick of the girls and the general mentality. Neber thought it would happen

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

5 minutes ago, dutchinlondon said:

Yep. Lately I start to think about moving out. Sick of the girls and the general mentality. Neber thought it would happen

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Down the road in c

Treat you very well and speak English

Had its bad times but now moved ahead of thailand

And the girls

Hang on where is wife? ok asleep

They have real ones not padded

serious its a nice place to live now

May even try it myself

44 minutes ago, optad said:

Cannot decode your script.

NFI. What about westerners and Thais? Get this from singha?

Seems so:

"At least the kids expressed a pov."

No, they didn't, they regurgitated the simple-minded trash thinking they are supposed to, that's why The Old Toads gave 'em a prize.

"Their perspective could not be as dull as nor conformed as most here on TV."

Are you really so painfully ignorant, or are you here to peddle double-speak? The latter is very dangerous and is a tool of propaganda by fascists, dictators... military juntas....

"I wonder why Thais are less than complimentary..."

This is just an ignorant little fantasy of yours.

There are very few Thais who have a right to complain about foreigners in their country.

"....when so many poor farang judges sit ready to execute comparative judgement."

So did you even have your head in the sand for Critical Thinking Lesson 1 as well?

Or is there some other reason why you don't want the boat rocked?

"Love to survey the resident expat/farang educational levels..."

Or those who have no clue what the definition of conformity is, or what having a different "pov" is?

Elitist snob doesn't work for you, don't give up the day job.

"appropo the voluminous negative opinions they eject.

Make a great study."

And there we have it: simple-minded and divorced from reality, but Jesus can take care of you like he does all the other patients.

Just think of him as the sand you put your head into, rather than another crazy nutcase.

"At least the kids expressed a pov [...] Their perspective could not be as dull as nor conformed as most here on TV."

image.png?w=400&c=1

Edited by Squeegee