Gripen Fighter Jet Crashes at Hat Yai Air Show, Pilot Killed

rooster59

Griffin Fighter Jet Crashes at Hat Yai Air Show, Pilot Killed

By Khaosod English

SONGKHLA — A Royal Thai Air Force pilot was killed when a jet went down during a Children’s Day air show at an airbase in the southern city of Hat Yai.

The JAS 39 Griffin was maneuvering over the airbase when it appeared to suddenly lose altitude, slam into the ground and explode. The pilot was unable to eject.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/01/14/griffin-fighter-crashes-hat-yai-pilot-killed/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-14

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fighter jet crash during airshow in Hat Yai

By The Nation

ddb7aaf89bc3b60ed4a338ab76e5c93a-sld.jpeg

A Gripen fighter jet crashed during airshow in the Children’s Day event in Hat Yai, Songkhla province forcing a temporary closure of the Hat Yai Internatioal airport.

It was expected the airport would be able to reopen before midday today, while Air Vice Marshal Pongsak Semachai, the air force spokesman, said the air force's investigating panel is now gathering evidence to find the cause of the crash.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30304106

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-14

Air Force pilot killed in Gripen jet fighter crash at Hat Yai airport

157_Show.jpg

An Air Force pilot was killed when his Gripen jet fighter crashed into the ground during an air show before hundreds of children and their parents at Hat Yai military airport.

The air show was performed to mark the Children’s Day today.

The fatal incident happened about 9.40 am.

It was not immediately known the cause of the crash but the jet fighter was flying above the runway gathered by children and parents.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/air-force-pilot-killed-gripen-jet-fighter-crash-hat-yai-airport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-14

11 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I do not understand why on a day for children the military have to get so involved. I have just returned from a event in our local town, lots of fun things for the kids to do and then solders with M16 rifles. 

Subliminal message to future adults. 

Looked to me like he was attempting to do an Immelmann Turn, but lost it as he was completing the inside of the top half of the loop. There does not appear to have been any loss of power. At that point in the loop, aviators can experience 6 - 9 Gs, so I am wondering whether he greyed out at that point, didn't roll out and the aircraft continued on without controlled flight. 

Here is an F-16 doing an Immelmann correctly.

RIP to the aviator.

It was also a 64M euro aircraft loss for the RTAF.

The FAA recently rated Thailand aviation as not meeting international standards, so this happening before the ink is even dry on the FAA warning flies in the losing face of country reputation. Poor pilot had no chance.

You really think they were referring to the air force?

40 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I do not understand why on a day for children the military have to get so involved. I have just returned from a event in our local town, lots of fun things for the kids to do and then solders with M16 rifles. 

They get drafted later on in life. This serves as motivation for future canon fodder.

This swedish piece of shit has a history of crashing during these show events.

In fact, if i recall correctly it crashed on its first public show in stockholm many years ago.. Pilot ejected and survived that time.

Expensive piece of shit

1 minute ago, KarenBravo said:

Maybe a moderator can correct the title of this thread. The plane was a Grippen, not a Griffin.

They might even want to change the name of the aircraft to 'Gripen', which is want it was.

12 minutes ago, bubba said:

Looked to me like he was attempting to do an Immelmann Turn, but lost it as he was completing the inside of the top half of the loop. There does not appear to have been any loss of power. At that point in the loop, aviators can experience 6 - 9 Gs, so I am wondering whether he greyed out at that point, didn't roll out and the aircraft continued on without controlled flight. 

RIP to the aviator.

Chump change for the Thai military

16 minutes ago, bubba said:

RIP to the aviator.

Found this video of a Gripen JAS 39 doing an Immelmann. Watch the Gs display on the left hand side of the HUD when he gets to the top of the inverted loop.

1 hour ago, zorro1 said:

RIP. poor kids didn't need to see that

Poor kids???   What about the pilot?   Too many people care too much about protecting kids from real life these days.

51 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

I agree, but their logic is probably something along the lines of:  'we want to show the people that we are one with them, that they have no reason to fear the military, and that we happily support their celebrations'.

1 minute ago, gmac said:

Poor kids???   What about the pilot?   Too many people care too much about protecting kids from real life these days.

Thats nothing compared to what the kids would see on the roads all the time. And this RIP rubbish again, Buddhists dont RIP, they go on to a better life. Telling them to RIP is insulting to them.

7 minutes ago, bubba said:

Found this video of a Gripen JAS 39 doing an Immelmann. Watch the Gs display on the left hand side of the HUD when he gets to the top of the inverted loop.

You must contact the air crash investigators with you expert knowledge.

Archived