Non-O in Savannakhet? I live in Bangkok

Hi,  I have a Thai wife and have been renewing my non-O marriage visa every year for the past 15 years at the Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon since we got married. This time when I went back for the holidays I found they could no longer issue the multi-entry visa, and I would have to go to Los Angles to do it. I had no time to do that.

Ubonjoe, you seem to know the Savannakhet visa run the best, can you please help me?

I have a current certified copy of our wedding certificate from the county in Oregon where we were married, and current Thai notarized copies of my  wife's id and passport which was always enough for the consulate in Oregon. Is that enough documentation for Savannakhet?

I live in Bangkok. How much time should I plan on to make the trek to Savannakhet? Any suggestions on the quickest way to get there? I've been to Vientiane before and done the Lao visa on arrival there, is it the same at border near Savannakhet?

Sorry for all the questions, I know most have been answered somewhere here on the forum but I'm not that good at searching out the previous answers to these questions or the most up to date info.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

• Like 1

You know you can FLY to Savannakhet  if that is your choice.

Lao Air has a daily flight from Bangkok to Savannakhet  and then they continue on to Vientianne.

The problem however, is that you will not arrive in Savannakhet  in time to apply for a Thai visa on the first day, so you will need to do a two night stay in Savannakhet

You apply the first day at the consulate in Savannakhet , and return the next afternoon to pick up your visa.

If your wife is Thai, take her with you.

It can be done, and she will find that many prople in Savannakhet  speak Thai as at least a second language.

1 hour ago, IMA_FARANG said:

The problem however, is that you will not arrive in Savannakhet  in time to apply for a Thai visa on the first day, so you will need to do a two night stay in Savannakhet

It requires 3 nights not 2. Flight arrives from BKK to late to apply and return to BKK is before pickup time the next day.